Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Could wind be buffetting off the windshield or faring? Put a hand up there and see if it is a steady stream or turbulant air.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Ez69
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would tend to agree on the mount. Not necessarily a bad mount but the way it hangs out. I would try adjusting the base so that the extension sets up and possibly move the camera behind the windshield. I have use Ram mounts for both my GPS & Chatterbox with no vibration on either.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Ultra-Rick
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks like too much going forward. Try adjusting the mount so the camera goes straight up and see if the vibration is reduced. Also try to move the mount to the left just on to the verticle part of the handlebar.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Ultra the vibration intensified out towards the grips so I mounted my camera in the center. A six inch arm got the gamera up over the fairing, still behind the windshield. I got some reflections at times but I thought it was better than in the wind. In any case, I enjoyed the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4f9bM88Wnk

Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure you don't have a Vibrider hooked up?

Old 05-21-2010, 07:54 PM
haknslash
Cruiser

gm9, personally I don't think I'd have the ***** to throw my Canon 7D on my bike to take video. The thought of destroying it would kill me. Have you looked into a much cheaper camera that shoots in HD and is designed for such use? I recently bought a GoPro HD camera and shoots amazing quality. You can buy the chest mount, use any of the supplied 3M mounts or use the suction mount that comes with the "motorsports" version. I had the older GoPro Wide version but the new HD version is a HUGE step forward in quality.

If you click the link in my sig and go to the videos section you will see one of the videos where I tested it out on my Nightster. Granted it's not mounted to the handlebar to give you an idea of vibration but there are several videos on youtube with GoPro cameras on Harley's to give you an idea on vibes and such.

At $299 for the HD motorsports package it's well worth it compared to vibes or something killing your other more expensive cameras that weren't designed for such use. http://www.goprocamera.com/?_kk=gopr...FQifnAod6CW3JA

Just my thoughts on it.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM
gm9
Cruiser

Thanks haknslash. I'm about to give up on mobil video. Thursday I took a nice long ride with my brother though so beautiful countryside in Northern Virginia. I mounted the Canon towards the center of the Ultra's console. I even bought a bungie cord and strung it accross the camera to help stabilize it. Again the video turned out like crap! (See snippet.)
I'm giving up on the Canon. I've already received a return authorization and am sending it back. Maybe I'll take your advice and try a Gopro with a different mount. I'm thinking a helmet mount might be a problem because as a good mc driver, you should be constantly scanning for possible traffic problems, and resulting video would be nothing but constant panning back and forth. Perhaps your suggested chest mount may work?

http://www.youtube.com/user/gmyers9#p/a/u/0/3eBZLYsuBW4

Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 AM
haknslash
Cruiser

Yeah the chest mount works good. When I rode dirt bikes lots of guys used it with great success. I understand about the helmet mount and the panning as it's evident in my video but it sure beats the shakes and vibes ruining the whole thing . I plan on buying a chest mount soon just for the panning reasons.

Here's a ride on a cruiser using the older non-HD GoPro Wide with the chest mount. The quality is far less than the HD version of course but you get an idea for perspective and how it handles vibes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVs6s8-h6Qk

Here's the chest mount itself...

Don't give up. Hang in there. You just need to use the right tool to get the job done.

Last edited by haknslash; 05-22-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:33 PM
gm9
Cruiser

I am about to give up on my pursuit of quality videos while riding my Harley. Today I mounted the Canon M30 onto my Honda Sabre. (See video) With shaft drive and stock exhaust, it would be difficult to find a smoother riding motorcycle. There was some improvement but not nearly enough to meet my expectations. See video.

This afternoon, I packaged up the Canon to return to Amazon. I hope they give me a full refund. I was very carful to remove all fingerprints and signs of use, but it is difficult to seal back packaging on manuals and software to original condition. I think manufactures do that just so you can't return items in "new" condition. Even if I do get a full refund, I am stuck with the cost of all these acccesaries I purchased to go with the camera (extra battery, RAM mount, 8 gig flash card, battery charger, polarized lens, mini dv cable.)

No, I'm not stealing their software. That Pixila ImageMixer video editing software is the biggest bunch of crap you ever saw. Totally proprietary, limited editing capability. only allows .wav music files to added to video (no mp3).

Perhaps after I settle with Amazon, I try out a GoPro HD camera. Looks like they do a decent job.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXHglum2yQ

Old 05-23-2010, 02:40 PM
gm9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ez69
I would tend to agree on the mount. Not necessarily a bad mount but the way it hangs out. I would try adjusting the base so that the extension sets up and possibly move the camera behind the windshield. I have use Ram mounts for both my GPS & Chatterbox with no vibration on either.
For the NOVA videos, I did mount the camera as much to the center as I could and behind the windshield.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Help Please - What the Heck Am I Doing Wrong?