Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Dives right off the road

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Clutch13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacodelahoya
You do know that you have basically said to do what I said right?
I didn't mean to lock up the front tire, do a burnout and swing the *** end around, geesh!!

Yea, grab front brake to slow down, the rear brake skidding didn't help him much did it? Slowing down the bike prior to making the turn to the LEFT ( he did run off the road to the left didn't he?) was where all the rest of the problems started.

slow. slow down before the turn
look. look where you want to go, not at want you want to avoid
press. press the grip in the direction you want to turn
roll. roll on the throttle through the turn

Most of you see him as missing the slight right hand bend in the road, I see him as freaking out and missing the tighter left turn , which is the one where he ran off the road on the inside. Many of you mentioned the fixation, which I totally agree with, I just think he was fixated on missing the tighter upcoming left turn from the moment he passed the van, hence he ran off the hillside. Either way, the advice I gave is exactly that same as anyone would learn in the msf course and is how I ride.

As for "Glad I don't ride with you." You might wanna, I'll show you what a touring bike can do in the twisties.
Actually I said nothing of what you said, I'm suggesting that he not touch the brakes at all and he just accelerate through the turn. He's not going that fast and would have totally made it if he hadn't panicked.

As for learning what you said in the MSF course, funny...I always thought they taught to brake before a corner and accelerate through it. Didn't realize they'd changed their curriculum.

Trust me, you wouldn't show me anything new.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Once the guy got on the brakes to slow for the "OMG!, I'm too fast for the turn ahead..I better slow NOW", the back tire locked up instantly and the bike stood up. The ONLY way to get the bike leaned over was to release the brake and countersteer. Easy to do when sitting behind a computer screen. Not so easy when the guy is in the battle, and he has never even been to boot camp.
Very hard to release the brakes as the side of the road is getting very near.
Amazing that the guys on the Harley cruisers were being held up by the minivan. It is usually quite the opposite at the Dragon, with a line of Harley cruisers holding up a line of station wagons and minivans.....I know because I have seen it dozens of times on the hundreds of passes I have made over the years at the Dagon. And to the comments one guy made that those turns are "just sweepers", there are NO sweepers on the 11 mile stretch of the Dragon.
That would be some of the big radius turns on the Cherohala Skyway, a few miles from the Dragon. Also, to the guy who claims that most riders just ride the lazy way by moving the and leaning into the turn, and that it cannot be done on the tight turns of the closely linked turns of the Dragon.
News Flash: I am not a lazy rider, and I get physically tired on the Dragon moving my body aggressively on the bike to lean to the inside of corners to the left and right while countersteering for max lean.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Pacodelahoya
Cruiser

"I always thought they taught to brake before a corner and accelerate through it."

SLOW
LOOK
PRESS
ROLL

Yep, that means slow down before the turn (grab a hand full of brake), then accelerate through the turn(gun it ).

I apologise for my lack of clarity in my original post, I can see where it might confuse some.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Starcruzer
Intermediate
Default Mistake was made before corner!

I live near the Dragon and ride it now and then. Biker was passing a motorhome. What happens to cruisers is they get in a hurry when bikes backup behind them. These curves are very sharp and no matter how good the rider is the bike will not turn when the boards and frame are on the ground. If you ever ride the dragon as a group always leave 4 bike lenghts between each other. The sport bikes will work around you and all will be safer. Also ride in a lower gear and stay off the brakes.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:42 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

pretty stupid

Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 PM
JOHNNYWISHBONE
Intermediate

i got my first bike in 1969. raced fim and dirt for ten years. commuted for over ten years in the shittiest so cal traffic known to man. then, away from bikes for five years. today, my bike handling skills suck. watching that vid was painful. i see myself falling down. if i rode more, maybe the skill would come back. maybe i'll try that.