Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Dives right off the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacodelahoya
No, he should have pushed on the left handgrip.
No, you're wrong.

Push right grip-go right...push left grip-go left.

Pull left grip-go right.....Pull right grip-go left.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Soft06
To me it looks like he got scared and stood the machine up right...where he should of pushed harder on the right handgrip. If you get a little scared..keep your head up, continue to look through the turn and push harder.
I agree. Personally I think he was one of those people that don't know or don't believe in the "push right go right". I think he wanted to turn right and pushed on the left grip, which stood the bike upright and he rode straight off the road. It's the way it looks to me. He passes the van and is leaning to the right to get back in the lane, then because he's coming into the corner hot he should have banked it more, but at that instant the bike goes vertical and he slams on the rear brake.

This is a great video that could be used for training purposes.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM
barrachuck
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been riding bikes my whole life, most dirt bikes...when I got my first street bike......I had no clue of the differences...and there are many. My first street bike was a rice burning crotch rocket. After riding with some real friends, one of them came over to me and ask….What the hell are you doing? Then he explained how to take the bike into a corner….push left go right…push right go left…its easy…..Lets just say…..Thanks to all the good friends out there.
Also, the guys in car, minivan or whatever are idiots as well. They should have stopped to help the guy but because of stereo typing they left. They are going to kick our ***......for what? They didnt teach the guy how to ride did they?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
robo1211
Cruiser

you guys are missing that he locked up the rear brake, and target fixation by both riders, thats why second guy followed off the road. you are right about countersteering. push on the right bar, bike goes right etc. look where you want to go, not where you are heading.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

So I figure if you so paranoid about not helping the bikers why in hell would you publish a video of you leaving the scene of accident not to mention failure to render aid. The video can be tracked back to the person publishing. Bikers shouldn't have been passing on a double yellow line either.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

All i can say is slow down stay on the road. have fun

Old 04-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Pacodelahoya
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Soft06
No, you're wrong.

Push right grip-go right...push left grip-go left.

Pull left grip-go right.....Pull right grip-go left.
Yea, I know how to counter steer, the turn he missed was a left, so he should have pressed left. I agree that he was fixated on the inside of the turn. All he had to do, was grab a hand full of front brake to slow down, then press left and gun it around the turn, before he panicked and locked up the rear tire, thereby losing any control he had over the bike.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pacodelahoya
Yea, I know how to counter steer, the turn he missed was a left, so he should have pressed left. I agree that he was fixated on the inside of the turn. All he had to do, was grab a hand full of front brake to slow down, then press left and gun it around the turn, before he panicked and locked up the rear tire, thereby losing any control he had over the bike.
If you say so.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

No amount of counter steering would have saved him, he ran out of room and made a costly mistake to start with.
Here's a question for you expert steerers, How many of you would have been able to counter steer if you were drunk? I know of a few friends that have no problems with getting on a bike after pounding a few beers, there so called expert steering skills will mean nothing if there reflexes are not 100%. Drink and ride and you will crash, that's a given.
I hope I don't have to come on here this summer with a story of how some one I ride with was so drunk and sleepy that his expert steering skills got him killed.

Last edited by skidder; 04-14-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Counter steer

I think he figured out real quick that even if he made it around the van back into his lane, that he would not have made it around the left hand corner coming up, going too fast, and panicked big time, hit the rear brake, small puff of smoke and bike straightens up and ........

Quick Reply: Dives right off the road