Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Dives right off the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

The dragon seems to bring out the worst in people riding skills wise.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

NO NO NO. I have looked at this over and over. The bike passes the van, is in a partial lean to the right, then the bike straightens up and he goes straight off the road. The ONLY way that can happen is if he PULLS on the RIGHT bar, as if he were steering a car around a corner, trying to steer the motorbike wheel right.

This is opposite from what he should have done. He should have PULLED on the LEFT bar, or PRESSED on the RIGHT.

If any one doesnt understand this then stay off your bike, you too will soon die.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:56 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
NO NO NO. I have looked at this over and over. The bike passes the van, is in a partial lean to the right, then the bike straightens up and he goes straight off the road. The ONLY way that can happen is if he PULLS on the RIGHT bar, as if he were steering a car around a corner, trying to steer the motorbike wheel right.

This is opposite from what he should have done. He should have PULLED on the LEFT bar, or PRESSED on the RIGHT.

If any one doesnt understand this then stay off your bike, you too will soon die.
either that or he came flying around the van, miscalculated or got scared of the curve, tried to bail out of the turn straighten up and hit the brakes but was going too fast...thus using the grass, shrubs and trees to slow him more naturally.

no argument from me on what he SHOULD HAVE done. countersteer that bitch and scrape pegs thru that turn.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Sorry, I just get a little worked up about this topic. My friends are buying harleys, and their wives are buying harleys, one would think that's a good thing. But... A while ago someone posted a challenge or idea on this board and said to go ask your riding buddies about countersteering. I did that, the few I asked had no idea, they were firm believers in turn right go right, where actually it's turn right go off the left side of the road like this guy did. ****, I hope like hell I don't have to come on this board later in the summer with a somber story about one of my friends coming off the road. I am actually quite worried about this.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Sorry, I just get a little worked up about this topic. My friends are buying harleys, and their wives are buying harleys, one would think that's a good thing. But... A while ago someone posted a challenge or idea on this board and said to go ask your riding buddies about countersteering. I did that, the few I asked had no idea, they were firm believers in turn right go right, where actually it's turn right go off the left side of the road like this guy did. ****, I hope like hell I don't have to come on this board later in the summer with a somber story about one of my friends coming off the road. I am actually quite worried about this.
if you're a good buddy, which it sounds like you are, you'll take them all to a parking lot and hold your own MSF course for a few hours on a few consecutive weekends.

tons of people can only learn by seeing something done then trying it themselves.

you can prevent your own story from being told.

tell them you refuse to get out on the road with them until they're comfortable and in control of their machine beyond what the MSF course requires.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

These are guys that have been riding all their lives, they don't want to listen. I actually reformed one friend at work. I had to get out an old university physics text book and show him some rotational physics so he'd believe me. Then the next day when he showed up at work he was quite excited to tell me that he tried the countersteering thing on the way home and it actually worked (rolls eyes).

I know I got my work cut out for me, we're going to get this straightened out, one at a time. By the way, a safeway's parking lot doesn't really do it. You need the speed. When you're putting you don't feel the effect.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I work with a young guy that rides a crotch rocket. He was telling me one day about a close call that he had. I asked him if he knew how to counter steer because he went wide through a turn. He gave me that look. you know the deer in the head lights stare. So i explained it to him. the next day he came right to me first thing in the morning thanking me for telling him how to ride his bike. he told me he had no idea it would turn so quick.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Michael J
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failure to stop

Don't know about the U.S. but over here in the UK, you would be charged with failure to stop after an accident. The car was involved although maybe not directly. How despicable to drive off when the guy could have been critically injured!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Prime example of going into a corner (Passing or not) way too hot!

To me it looks like he got scared and stood the machine up right...where he should of pushed harder on the right handgrip. If you get a little scared..keep your head up, continue to look through the turn and push harder.

Over 50% of solo and other vehicles involved motorcycle crashes happens in the corners. Notice I didn't say accident? Accidents usually can't be avoided, things happen. Crashes usually can be avoided. That guy didn't have to go over that cliff, it just shouldn't of happened.
We all have to ride within our own limits, so we may come home and be able to ride another day.
Ride safe...

Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Pacodelahoya
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Soft06
Prime example of going into a corner (Passing or not) way too hot!

To me it looks like he got scared and stood the machine up right...where he should of pushed harder on the right handgrip. If you get a little scared..keep your head up, continue to look through the turn and push harder.

Over 50% of solo and other vehicles involved motorcycle crashes happens in the corners. Notice I didn't say accident? Accidents usually can't be avoided, things happen. Crashes usually can be avoided. That guy didn't have to go over that cliff, it just shouldn't of happened.
We all have to ride within our own limits, so we may come home and be able to ride another day.
Ride safe...
No, he should have pushed on the left handgrip.

Quick Reply: Dives right off the road