Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Whats the best HD Camcorder to mount on a 2006 Harley Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:00 PM
outlaw_dave48
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best HD Camcorder to mount on a 2006 Harley Softail?

Hey everyone,
I need some advice. I plan on making a road trip this year from Houston, TX to NM, AZ, UT, and CO. I want to video the ride. I'll mount the Camcorder on my handlebars. I've searched in internet trying to get some info on a good HD Camcorder I can record my trip with but haven't really found anything definitive yet.
I'm mostly worried about the vibrations from the bike and the stabilization of the camcorder. I want a smooth clear HD quality video. Any of you ever mounted a HD Camcorder to your handlebars? How's the quality of the video? Any recomendations of what HD Camcorder I should buy?
Also, I'd like to mount a camera on my rear foot pegs for a different angle shot. I've seen others us a bullet cam with smooth results on YouTube but I can't figure out how they did it. Everywhere I look says the bullet cams are useless unless attached to the helmet. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get those low angle shots?
An added note...Here's a couple sample videos on the kind of video I want to capture.
I know the second video was caught on a helmet cam. Not something I'm really interested in doing as I'm always going to be looking around for photo ops to stop and take pics. The first video is really nice. Notice how the video is smooth and clear. The stabilization of the camera is able to keep up with the ride without any short stops made by the camera.
I don't know why the first video showed up twice...anyway, you get the idea.
Your help and suggestions are appriciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSkrBYNeqBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2kUSlZ1v4U

Last edited by outlaw_dave48; 01-15-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look up go pro camera. Them cameras are the only way to go if your mouting them on the bike.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Check Jason's video he made with a GoPro.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harle...ra-angles.html

Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain

I used a standard RAM mount for my camera. I added rubber inserts to cut down on the vibration after I traded the Ultra in for a Softail. The ultra was nice and smooth, but the Softail was a bit rougher. Look for a camera that has software stabilization and buy plenty of extra memory cards.

The biggest trouble I had was the wind noise. I tried several things and what worked best was this. I first covered any holes in the camera with tape, not just the microphone hole. I then covered the microphone hole with foam. I used the foam insert of a childs bicycle helmet which comes with the tape on one side. Here's a sample video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4f9bM88Wnk

Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen great footage from GoPro.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
outlaw_dave48
Stage III

Hey Tao3535, was that footage shot on your Softail? If so, what kind of camcorder were you using? Does the footage look good at higher speeds?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM
HunterBLT
Tourer

Originally Posted by outlaw_dave48
Hey everyone,
I need some advice. I plan on making a road trip this year from Houston, TX to NM, AZ, UT, and CO. I want to video the ride. I'll mount the Camcorder on my handlebars. I've searched in internet trying to get some info on a good HD Camcorder I can record my trip with but haven't really found anything definitive yet.
I'm mostly worried about the vibrations from the bike and the stabilization of the camcorder. I want a smooth clear HD quality video. Any of you ever mounted a HD Camcorder to your handlebars? How's the quality of the video? Any recomendations of what HD Camcorder I should buy?
Also, I'd like to mount a camera on my rear foot pegs for a different angle shot. I've seen others us a bullet cam with smooth results on YouTube but I can't figure out how they did it. Everywhere I look says the bullet cams are useless unless attached to the helmet. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get those low angle shots?
An added note...Here's a couple sample videos on the kind of video I want to capture.
I know the second video was caught on a helmet cam. Not something I'm really interested in doing as I'm always going to be looking around for photo ops to stop and take pics. The first video is really nice. Notice how the video is smooth and clear. The stabilization of the camera is able to keep up with the ride without any short stops made by the camera.

I have a Go Pro. The only bad thing I can say is it will give you about an hours worth of video before you have to change out the card. I love mine.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 AM
iamfree
Cruiser

what's your budget and what do you want to use the footage for?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 AM
outlaw_dave48
Stage III

Budget is about $600. I'll be taking video of the road while riding. Off the bike of sights, mountain scenery.
I'll edit the pics and video to music. Then make a CD for my own use. Just to vlog the trip.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 PM
McIntireB53
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by outlaw_dave48
Hey everyone,

I have been using the Sony DCR-SR100, which is HD and has a 30 gig hard drive for storage. I also use a Ram-mount system after I center tap the flat mount with a 1/4-20 setscrew for mounting the camera. This works great and the images on my Road Glide is professional quality when the bike is moving. The video does shake when the bike is not moving. This creates an great Mpeg that if wanted can be used to make a DVD otherwise a lot of great mailable videos and pictures.

Quick Reply: Whats the best HD Camcorder to mount on a 2006 Harley Softail?