Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

This is how it's done in California

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by killer scott
What makes it that much more dangerous than passing somone in another lane? It's bassically just another lane that is half the size of regular lanes... Luckily motorcycles are less than half the size of cars. So what makes it so dangerous (if done carefully)?
It is not another lane. It is a strip that seperates two lanes of traffic and is less then half a lane, depending on the vehicles that are in the lanes. There are many trucks and suvs that are quite wide and take up alot of their lanes which makes the area even less then what many think. If one of the drivers of the 4 wheelers or trucks would happen to drift slightly within their lane then that would effectly squeeze out the rider causing an accident which could lead to a larger pile up possibly killing others.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:09 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess there are a lot of "stupid" Highway Patrol officers on bikes then.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obonaventure
Here on the East Coast people would swing their doors open to stop you from doing it. Then they'd jump out of their car and spit in your face!
My dad loves people like this, that's why he packs lol.

I've kicked many cars/mirrors on my sportbike from people being ********. My friend had a lady run a stop sign and almost tboned my friend while we were on a ride. Luckily she stopped right before him, and got a nice fist mark in her hood and a big f**k you.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's technically not lane splitting, it's called lane sharing and if there is not enough room to share then it's not done. If you notice the picture in LA you'll see that most of the cars are moved over to the left. And it's not supposed to be done between the far right lanes only the two left lanes. Only the guys that are trying to win the race are at unusual risk. If the traffic moves at over 35 mph it's better to stay in line. There's stupid ways to ride even without lane sharing.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:49 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't that a cop?

I followed a cop once on the 210 east from the 57 all the way to highland. Kept it near 85 splitting the carpool/fast lane the whole time.

I agree it's really not that safe. I am surprised it's legal in CA where it seems that nearly everything is illegal.

was kinda fun following the cop though. Saw him make several 100% illegal moves including going in and out of carpool lane.