Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

2008 Copy Cat

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:21 PM
1hans1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Copy Cat

I just love them riceburners, they give me something to **** against.
It's OK that OTHER people ride them, it makes US special !!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 PM
dropone
Supporter

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]What he said [sm=bicker.gif] [sm=boosign.gif]

Old 12-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Madfun
Tourer

Some of those metrics are frikken sweet! I cant blame a guy for buying one.

Iowned a Honda Shadow back in the late 80-'s. It was only 700 cc's but it was a lot quicker than most Softials and Sporties of the day.

Some time later, I bought my first Harley. It was a Heritage. I can't even begin to explain the manyways the Heritage was superior. It just seemed to have a more solid feel to it.A feelthatmade the bike seem likeit would last forever, and wear like an iron battleship.

Of course I NEEDED loud pipes and messed with the air intake for a more performance orientedride, but truth be known... I stopped caring how muchquicker the metrics were almost right away.

Now I have a Road king. Geared more to touring than anything else. It is quiet, andIt has that same "Harley"heavy battleship feel to it. I am sure it's gonna last me well into my grey beard years. Maybe my taste in bikes are beginning to mellow with age.

Let em ride what they want.. in the end it's all about bugs in yer teeth anyway.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
indaupeh
Cruiser

Wow I've never seen a thred that caused such indepth (long) answers. Usually its right on bro,I agree,way to go,H.D.forever. I'm glad to see if theres a contravertial issue that riders can type as well as speak thier minds with inteligents.
Well now for my story. I've loved bikes all my life and had one or more from 13 years old on (born in 1960). When I was 6 I said "I'm gonna have one of those motor cycles with the heart shaped side(timeing)cover(Triumph for those who haven't seen an old one). Triumph and the other britt bikes were the sport bikes of the day and they were cool and excepted by most and at that time jap bikes were small 2-3 hundred cc's or less (most were on the less side). The jap bike boasted great gas mileage (just like H D in the teens and 20's). Jap bikes were'nt a threat back then but some of the old timers (Back then) saw the writing on the wall when honda started making bikes with electric starters and said "boys this kinda thing could really hurt Harley sales" So what did Harley do? Not a whole bunch the motor co just kinda ploded on in trouble most of the time. They had aquired Arimachie and had been importing a line of smaller bikes for some time and in the AMF years put out the X,Z 90's,125 and 250's ect . Was this to embrace americas youth? What it did do was put HD and unreliebility in the same sentence. Fortunetly when AMF was gone and ***** and the boys started makeing changes the the market wanted (more like what their buying public was allready doing to thier stock bikes). Then came the Evo and what a difference high mileage relieable motors that didn't leak oil and still looked and sounded like a HD should.
Ok so much for brief history. In my opion japan pulled ahead in the race by throwing massive amounts of money (whitch they had and HD didn't) at reasearch and development. So what did they find looking at the biggest bike market in the world? They were allready doing well with every other kind of non Harley bike so to keep growing and get bigger still they went after the only market they didn't have (the one that Harley did). Now if you were a bike co what would you do .....yep produce bikes that looked and were styled like Harleys and sell them for a lot less.
Now lets look at Harleys demographics(who buys what and how old are they ....whats their income, where do they live)
Who buys a brand new Harley

DEMOGRAPHIC PROFILE (2002-2006)

Male
88%
88%
89%
89%
90%

Female
12%
12%
11%
11%
10%

2006 PURCHASERS

49%
Owned Harley-Davidson® motorcycle previously at any point during lifetime

37%
Owned a competitive motorcycle previously

14%
First motorcycle purchased

MEDIAN AGE

MEDIAN INCOME

this doesn't tell us what Harley they bought but it shows that 1/2 the riders that had a Harley before bought a new one (doesn't say...as far as the old one..if they kept it ,sold it , or did a trade in).
Next it shows that 37% of new Harley owners had a non Harley. This says the metric

Old 03-03-2008, 08:51 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gasket

Ok, i'm sure alot of you are going to throw me a bunch of crap, but here it goes. what harley is that bike a copy of ? It has a motor that is 113 cc's, screaming eagle is 110.It comes with 21 inch front tire,slash pipes,"throttle positioning throttle controll",(not offered on any harley),and it cost $13,500. I don't think you can touch anything that says Screaming Eagle on it for that. Before you start bitchin,I own 2 Harleys, and I'm not saying I like yamaha better. It just seams that alot of guys I ride with , and alot of guys on here bash any bike with a twin that is not a harley. It makes me wonder if some of you guys buy bikes cuz of what's written on the side of the tank. Almost like you are wanting to bash jap bikes so you'll fit in,so you can call yourself a "biker". I see so many threads that say people judge me cuz I ride,but so many of you judge cuz it's a ricer.I know I will prolly not be liked after this but I dont really give a crap. I'm so tired of hearing jap bikes are a copy, jap bike are junk. I never hear any ford guy's say chevy is a copy cuz their trucks have a v-8 also. I like alot of different bikes ,and I also hate the looks of alot of bikes too.I can't say I like all the harley's offered today,but I wouldn't bash them.I just wouldn't buy them.While im on the horn,alot of threads ask about the "BIKER" thing.If you have to ask, then NO you are not a biker.If you want a label ,then YES you are a biker. If you are like me ,and you don't care what people say,then quit asking.Before you reply, no that is not a copy of the rocker, not even close..........Your's truley.......the bike riding....non-biker.....biker......A-hole. Craig
Ride WTF you want...it's as simple as that!

Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like most Japanese cruisers it doesn't have a big badge on the tank saying 'YAMAHA' or 'HONDA'. They usually have a tiny badge saying 'Shadow' or 'Marauder' or something. Is this because the people who buy them want others to think they're riding a Harley? I've often wondered.

This Yamaha is a nice bike and technically it's probably a bit more modern than a Harley but who cares. That's not what it's all about.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member

they can copy the look all they want. they will never be a harley. i dont think we will be seein any yamaha versions of sturgis any time soon.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM
ozzy07840
Cruiser

that ugly bike make me appreciate how beutiful my harley is !!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:54 PM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Some things come to my mind here.

Sure No Jap can ever compare to a Harley.. Harley has a long history of rising, falling and rising again, using old techniques, has freedom written all over it. Harley has a spirit, let me assure you,
I ride Harleys and will do soas long asmyhealth and creditcard will let me.

What benefits do Japs have?
they offer somewhat more for a lot less money.
For us Europeans you go to a Jap dealeror to a Harley dealer for maintenance or accessoriesand you'll feel the difference in your wallet.
Japs offera far more modern technique and concept, have a lot more know-how (cfr. racing) and offer a more modern package to their buyers.
Harley is making efforts like EFI, some 'young' models (which really are old ones withset of accessoiries).
Unless Harley makes a giant leap foreward, I'm afraid they won't last another century.

Their problem is that they can't produce at the same cost as japs do.
Our western factories have strong unions. If we get payed too little, we strike.
In China, when you make a fuss bout getting payed too little, you get sacked and there are 12 new candidatesto doyour job.
Our western factories have to deal with EPA, taxes, etc.etc.etc...
Do you really think that Japan lies awake to "save the environment" etc etc etc?

higher production cost -> high prices -> less buyers

Vicious circle really.
Personnaly I will never buyJap, will rather buy a European or american bike/car. just to support local economy.

Right ....can start flaming now...[8D]