Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

2008 Copy Cat

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:27 AM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2008 Copy Cat

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I test rode that Raider several times. It has quite a bit of torque, handles fantastically, but has a bit of a "clunky" (That's a technical term here ) tranny and my wife hated riding on the back of it. She hated the suspension.

I bought my 08 105th Anniv that I go pick up tomorrow morning for the 2up comfort, the trademark Harley sound, and a good resale value if I ever change my mind about how I like it.

The bike looks fantastic from 10 feet, but don't be fooled. It's a lot of brushed aluminum this and that, not much real chrome when you get up close and personal with it. IMHO..

Old 12-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Mood Swing
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TXPOPEYE

LOL I almost bought a raider befoer getting my 08 Road Glide. I did a test ride at the bike show here is Houston and the bike was great real strong great handeling etc. I was kicking back and forth between the raider (only becasue it looks so damn good) or a more touring type ike. For thta I was looking at the vtx1800 neo or the yamaha stratoliner. In the end belive it or not I chose the Road Glide because of price!!

A spec 2 vtx 1800 neo is about 16k thats with out bags or windshield
A Stratoliner is also near 16k with detachable bags back rest and windshield.
I got my Road Glide for 17k with 6 gal tank cruise control am/fm/cd player security system 6 speed transmition etc So to me the HDwas the better bargin.

Now truth be told both the jap bikes would eat the road glide for lunch and if you toss a PC3 and some pipes on either they will likely snack on any SE HD.

So I opted for range and extras over power when cost was almost the same, thats why I bought the HD no other reason.

As for the other brands trying to copy HD well since HD has been around the longest and the style they created is the style people want then thats what the other guys will build they look like a HD because people want that look.
So,you have finally come to the dark side Popeye?

ps.-This would all be more interesting if it had something about stripper midget chicks.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

you can tell by the enthusiasm in that guys voice how exciting the bike is.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:09 PM
HogGlider
Tourer

I hate to say it, and I hate to dsrespect my Super Glide, but had this been out back when I was looking I probably would have signed the papers for a Raider instead. Don't get me wrong, I love Harley, grew up around them and always wanted to own one. When you look at it from the consumer stand point it's a mixed thought.

I mean here we have a 113 motor out of the box, pretty decent styling, that fat tire look from the rear, and its priced around the 13-14K mark. I paid 13K for my stock Super Glide brand new and it is only a 96 motor, though that 6 speed is nice, a beefier motor would be great from the start insetad of sticking another $2k into the bike just to "keep up" with a stock Yamaha/similar version...it's really quite embarassing IMO.

Let's face the facts folks, the MOCO has relied on its name and heritage to sell a product. Consumers are getting smarter, the biking industry is evolving just the same as how the automotive industry did. Like what was mentioned before about the import vehicle back in the 60s-70s vs today. The domestic truck makers are taking a hit now because the import companies saw what the consumer wanted/needed and gave it to them with a minimal price tag. There are still those die-hard Ford/Chevy/Dodge guys out there, and there always will be because it is a sense of American pride in a way.

If the MOCO doesn't pay attention, there is likely going to be a major trend/downward spiral coming afoot in the motorcycle industry that may ultimately lead to a serious decline in sales for the MOCO. There will always be the loyal bikers to the MOCO who would buy nothing less, but dollar for dollar, and bang for the buck...this Raider is a much better offer to the consumer.

It is hard to admit to defeat/failure, but if anything I would love to see the MOCO put something out on the market that would be a great competitor to some of these other models, but like I said before, they rely on the name to sell it, not the product itself and that is a shame IMO.

Would I still buy a Harley if I had to do it all over again, definitely, but don't hate me if I am drolling over a a Raider parked at the local watering hole...

Old 12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Gasket
Cruiser

I have been out of town for a week and this thread is still on the front page like I thought it would be.The responces this bike is getting are exactly what H-D doesn't wan't to hear from a H-D forum,but look what is happening.This bike is Yamaha's way of saying "Oh Ya,look what we can do." Its not exactly this particular bike that is making me question H-D's efforts in making a powerfull bike at an affordable price.It's what this bike is an example of. This is just the begining of what could become a threat.Yamaha's warrior was the start of something big,and then they put this bike out just to offer a more custom look( rake, tires,tank lift,throttle controll,wheels that look after market.) I remember back when I had a V-star I ordered an aftermarket catalog, and it only had 60 pages in it. NOW that metric rag has 250-300 pages in it. WAKE UP MOCO!!! I don't realy use "moco" much but it seems to be popping up alot in this thread, so I thought i would use this oportunity to throw it out there. P.S. Watch it Grabby!!! J/K

Old 12-22-2007, 05:34 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, it keeps worrying me. I keep thinking back to the 60's and what was considered to be "in" then and how things have changed. If you bought a new TV it was probably a motorola or zenith or ??

There are currently no TV sets built in the US. No Computer monitors. No LCD screens for TV's or monitors.

About 20 years ago John Deere signed a deal with Yanmar. Yanmar will no longer import farm tractors into the US under the Yanmar name and ALL John Deere tractors up to 50 horsepower (pretty good sized tractor) are made in Japan by Yanmar. They'rejust painted green. Open the hood on a new John Deere and it says Yanmar right on the engine. Most drive train components for even bigger JD tractors are made overseas. Do you think farmers aren't as loyal to John Deere Greenand the good ole USA as we are to Harley?

Ford tractors folded and it's now New Holland.

Which GM brand folded this decade? Was it Pontiac, Olds or Buick? See, I don't even know but back in the day it was the "thing" to have and it's gone.

Want a new Plymouth? It's gone. How about an AMC Rambler, lmao?Where's my new Mercury? It's still around I guess but I don't know anyone who owns one. Back in the day you were hot stuff if you had a Merc.

I could go on, but please wake up, Moco. I still love your bikes but it's about nostalgia and not about value. It would cost me $25k to buy a new Rocker and make it run and look like that Raider and I don't know if I'm up for that. My new 2005 Heritage cost me $25k with all of the mods including S&S gear drives (not Harley brand at that,) a decent Mustang seat, quick release stuff...

Here are somea pics of it. Resale value? It's worth 1/2 of what I have in it maybe if you really look at the used Harley market. Where didwe go wrong?

PS My kids and their friends don't even like this. Looks like a '58 Buick to them.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:08 AM
ggraham45
Stage IV

i have just traded the yamaha roadstar for the serk. the reason yamaha can sell cheaper is because they use alot of plastic parts. even the chrome parts are plastic.the roadstar was an 2007 that was grossly under powered.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:24 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like others have always wanted a harley no Questions about it i wanted a harley.

I bought one in 2007 a Dyna Superglide custom.

Now i have been around harleys since i was a kid my dad always seemed to have one.

Problem with harleys nowadays, they continue to **** the general public because they as a MOCO feel they are the GODS of motorcycles and they are untouchable. One word to you there take a look at the big 3 in the auto industry and see were that got them.

Harley rapes its loyal fan's and owners rather than embracing them.

If Harley were to not screw there customers at every turn they would have an even better rep than they do.

Just like others said i know plenty of people that would love to have a harley but cant afford one so they go out and by a cheap metric for 5 to 8k and ride it.

I love my bike i stop by the dealer alot as its right next to my work but every time i do i just get pissed off. Why because no t shirt is worth $45 dollars, all there clothing is made in some foreign country yet they charge us LOYAL customers an arm and leg for it.

And weather any Harley owner wants to admit it or not i love my bike but it is overpriced out the door. Iam paying for the name HARLEY DAVIDSON not exactly what iam getting on the bike and performance wise.

In the future they will have some issues and i think it will force them to change some of there ideas and how they do buisness just like it did the big 3 auto makers.

Well i hope in warms up a bit i need a ride lol.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
ndnhog
Cruiser

I would say Harley needs metrics. Maybe not needs but they help harley. I grew up like a lot of people, racing dirt bikes, then going to sportbikes. I wasn't about to go spend 20,000 on a Harley when I have never been on a cruiser before. I went and got a roadstar, liked it and then after a few years went and got the Deluxe, at age 26. I see a lot of middle aged guys do the same thing. They want to learn to ride, they go get a metric, find out they like it and go get a harley.

For me the harley had one major selling point, LOTS OF PARTS!!! Tons of aftermarket parts. As for metrics and sport bikes especially, I wouldn't hate too much, they have a lot of good riders. It's about how good the rider is not what kind of bike you have. That might just be the sportbike rider in me though: )

Old 12-24-2007, 02:00 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Many do not realize that HD was given protection and in essence a monopoloy for a few years on "heavyweight" motorcycles by the federal government. Import heavyweight bikes were charged a 45% tariffbeginning in 1983 and then a reduced percentageovera period of years.

Bikes under 750 cc were exempt from the tariff, over 750 had limits on the numbers allowed to be imported. After the tariff was announced, the import manufacturers went for the jugular with their styling. The photos here show the changes between the '83 and '84 Yamaha Virago. Other than the Rocker and the Vrod, what has HD done since the tariff was lifted? In the years from the 70's to the early 90's few imports were customized beside the Honda CB750. I tend to agree that HD has done little to attract other than the traditional buyer.

Save the flames - no bashing HD here, just an opportunity to explore the history of domestic vs import bike wars

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archive...983/40183b.htm

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa032.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/21477/902D0BCC6FC34717943E00D81E8E6C0D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21477/AB27C5AD15C345A18685EAFC39BEE3A3.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: 2008 Copy Cat