Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Burke Co. NC, Motorcycle Chase

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 03:04 AM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Burke Co. NC, Motorcycle Chase

You got a lot of good responses to this video, but you have to always referr to "Rule Number ONE-When you're stupid -you suffer" and this nut that gives motorcycling a bad name is now doing that I'm sure.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:45 AM
hungrycat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a number of ppl in s.c. have been killed because of police going too fast.the biker is nuts.but officer is insane.how can you drive a car around blind curves over 100mph.stop sticks for a motorcycle? guess they wanted the biker dead.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:51 PM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree completely with TM. Initiating a potentially deadly pursuit for what amounts to "retail theft" is insane!

The policy for pursuits when I became a cop in 1974 was simple "Catch the bastard at all costs". Well, I would hope that as a profession that we've advanced beyond that.

As I see it, the problem is Chiefs, Sheriffs, and police supervisors, who don't want to appear as if they're "stifling" their Officers, or who don't want to give the impression that they don't want to "catch the bad guy". As a Chief of Police, I say that's a load of crap.

When we initiated our department's restrictive pursuit policy, I thought it was important enough that I presented it to our Officers myself . If they see the direction coming from the top it has more meaning and they know I'm not messing around with the issue. Of course there were a few younger Officers who questioned why they couldn't pursue in such and such a circumstance. I answered their question with a question, usually directed at an Officer who I knew had a Family. I'd ask them if they'd want the lives of their spouse and children put in danger by a Cop chasing a shoplifter or someone in a stolen car. To a person, they said No.

Unfortunately, all the policies in the world don't mean that there won't be violations. I just had to give two of our better Officers two day suspensions for violating our pursuit policy. If there's no accountability for one's actions, why not try it? Both of them acknowledged their being wrong and took the suspensions like men. Good for them, and I doubt if either one will be trying that nonsense again.The finest leaders I've had in my police and military careers were people who said what they meant and meant what they said.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:17 PM
daboys53119
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a father the scariest part of the video is seeing a high speed pursuit with a school bus in the other lane.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:47 PM
zopi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

all it would take is one car in the other direstion in one of those right hand outside passing situations on a blind curve...Not justified. Dead cops can not help anyone.
and the idiot on the scooter would surely get caught doing something stupid in the near future..best policy, try to get the license number without endagering the
rest of us in the process..you can't outrun computers and radios..

I say this with the caveat that I do not know the whole situation, but I can think of very few reasons to justify that chase..and endager the hundred or so citizens in the process

Old 01-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Less than two weeks ago a California Highway Patrol officer, Erik Manny, was in a car that was in pursuit of a speeder on Interstate 5, south of Bakersfield. I-5 is 4 lanes NB and 4 lanes SB at that point. It is also a steep downgrade with truck speed limits of 35 MPH and lane controls with trucks in #3 and #4 lanes only.

Officer Manny had radioed in a description of the vehicle and was in pursuit in excess of 100 MPH. (Pursuit at over that speed is common on I-5). Witnesses say a truck changed lanes in front of Officer Manny, the officer took evasive action and lost control of his cruiser...........and then lost his life in the ensuing crash of the patrol car.

Officer Erik Manny, California Highway Patrol, RIP.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:13 AM
claydbal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noticed the cop drove better than the rider rode, indicating yet another inexperienced rider on a very fast bike.
i have to agree with yall, at the turn offs, the cop was close enough to read the liscense plate, yet you didn't hear him call it in. easy to have just went to the riders house at midnight and arrested him.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:22 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Iknow I will get persecuted for this, but there is no rush like holdin' it flat and seein' red and blue lights in the mirrors. I have been caught once out of three pursuits and I lost my lisence for a very long time. Was it dangerous? Yes,extremely. Did it teach me a lesson? No not really. Thats partly why I bought a Harley because I know if I get on something fast again I will do the same thing again. Should the police chase you? They are dammed either way, if they dont they can be seen as handing the streets over to the lawless, if they do they can be seen as endangering innocent lives. I'm glad it's not a call I have to make.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats F'in CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too, wonder what started the chase. Probably something stupid like speeding, redlight violation, etc. I would think that the chasing officer would have to ask himself, "Is this worth it?"
But with the adrinaline (sp) flowing, Iam sure that the last thing he thinking, or what was the dude on the bike thinking.
I've heard it turns into a me against them sort of thing, so I can't let the "bad guy" get away.

Either way.......thats nutzz.
To all the LEO out there. don't worry about me, Iam old and appreaciate every breath I take, I'll pull over

**edit**
after watching the video again, seems to me that the pursuring officer should be sat down and disciplined. It was very clear that the kid on the bike was a "newbie", or atleast his riding skills were below par. But the chasing car traveling in excessive of 100, by a school, church, in traffic was stupid. I won't mention the blind curves, blind hills, splitting traffic, etc......

Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most LEOs I know ro ave encountered are intelligenmt, public serving people. This southern boy is NOT!

For that display of absolute disregard for public safety and extremely dangerous behavior, he should lose his badge, be prosecuted and a full front page story addressed by the Chief of that PD, tyhe County SO and the state patrol....no excuses for that sort of ridiculuous behavior from an LEO...none!

Quick Reply: Burke Co. NC, Motorcycle Chase