Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Very well done M8 video.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:17 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
139k views, 4.6k likes, 198 dislikes. I think the numbers speak for themselves, but the HDF naysayers continue to bash his efforts.
198 dislikes on a video w any amount of views means it sucks.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:38 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
So the more hits it gets, the more accurate it is?

The lack of critical thinking is sad. 1) its done by a dealer representative. What did you think he's going to say "they're junk!"? 2) he makes bizarre statements like the transfer issue is really someone accidentally overfilling the primary. Really? Explain how that can be done. Please. I want to know.

I could go on...
Only because you said please. He seems to attribute reduced primary fluid capacity on the M8's as a plausible explanation for overfilling. Earlier big twins required more than the M8's 30 oz. wet fill. Not everyone (techs included) reads the manual, and may be refilling the primary according to past practices. The M8's primary can be overfilled by several ounces before it will run out of the clutch cover opening while upright. So in short, that's how it could be done.

The following users liked this post:
saddlebag (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

The video is not bad. It's light hearted, he's a Youtuber and kind of funny if your not all up tight and got your ***** in a twist. Real info never. Lite entertainment,,, yes.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:58 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Only because you said please. He seems to attribute reduced primary fluid capacity on the M8's as a plausible explanation for overfilling. Earlier big twins required more than the M8's 30 oz. wet fill. Not everyone (techs included) reads the manual, and may be refilling the primary according to past practices. The M8's primary can be overfilled by several ounces before it will run out of the clutch cover opening while upright. So in short, that's how it could be done.
It would have to be spilling over the rim. I'm not buying it. And even if it could be over filled, it doesnt explain the missing transmission oil.

Last edited by Keithhu; 07-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:00 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

So the more hits it gets, the more accurate it is?

The lack of critical thinking is sad. 1) its done by a dealer representative. What did you think he's going to say "they're junk!"? 2) he makes bizarre statements like the transfer issue is really someone accidentally overfilling the primary. Really? Explain how that can be done. Please. I want to know.

I could go on...
I had my '17 RGS to the dealer for a rattle and the tech pulled the primary cover before finding the
problem elsewhere.
He naturally filled the primary and when I picked up the bike it was ready for the 1000 mi service.

When I drained the primary later, there was 46ozs in it. (measured it)
I called the dealer and complained. The SW told me I must have overfilled it.
I said; "your tech just had the primary cover off when looking for the rattle. He filled it back."
Silence on his end. Then the SW said; 'must have been overfilled at the factory.'
I said; "I just came over and picked up the bike. You people had the primary cover off and
overfilled the primary then."

Silence again.
Then he says; "It is physically impossible for the Trans oil to move from the Trans to the primary."

Last edited by not a sock; 07-30-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:05 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 245 Posts

Wow that’s a terrible post and 100% not the reason for primary levels too high. No more posting on this topic for you. Please go back to the games threads.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

OK, so I'll grant you that the primary can be overfilled. So if all the transmission transfer bikes are just overfilled primaries, what accounts for the missing transmission oil?

Originally Posted by not a sock
I had my '17 RGS to the dealer for a rattle and the tech pulled the primary cover before finding the
problem elsewhere.
He naturally filled the primary and when I picked up the bike it was ready for the 1000 mi service.

When I drained the primary later, there was 46ozs in it. (measured it)
I called the dealer and complained. The SW told me I must have overfilled it.
I said; "your tech just had the primary cover off when looking for the rattle. He filled it back."
Silence on his end. Then the SW said; 'must have been overfilled at the factory.'
I said; "I just came over and picked up the bike. You people had the primary cover off and
overfilled the primary then."

Silence again.
Then he says; "It is physically impossible for the Trans oil to move from the Trans to the primary."

Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 PM
canuck_flhtk
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've followed this guy before he had 100 subscribers. I watch it mostly for entertainment and it is sometimes informative. He **** the bed on this video on the two critical topics and should have done his homework. I am dummer for having watched it.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:25 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

OK, so I'll grant you that the primary can be overfilled. So if all the transmission transfer bikes are just overfilled primaries, what accounts for the missing transmission oil?
As I recall, he used the same logic. Different levels in different models, someone could have been confused or just made a mistake. Given that people have refilled them correctly and it happened again, that's obviously not the only cause. OTOH, I'm sure doing this stuff everyday, he sees all kinds of mistakes people (or their techs or bike's assembler) make with their bikes. Filling it correctly then rechecking after some period makes perfect sense. More sense than tearing the bike apart and replacing seals they may not need.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by saddlebag
As I recall, he used the same logic. Different levels in different models, someone could have been confused or just made a mistake. Given that people have refilled them correctly and it happened again, that's obviously not the only cause. OTOH, I'm sure doing this stuff everyday, he sees all kinds of mistakes people (or their techs or bike's assembler) make with their bikes. Filling it correctly then rechecking after some period makes perfect sense. More sense than tearing the bike apart and replacing seals they may not need.
Ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Very well done M8 video.