Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
Question Sidecar?

Thinking about a sidecar. Had a few trikes, but always missed my 2 wheels. Thinking a sidecar would allow me the best of both worlds. Side car for wife and dog, remove for my 2 wheel fix.
I have a 2013 Ultra Classic, do they still make mounts for a sidecar? I know HD doesn't make cars anymore.
What would be a good alternative to HD, California Sidecar? Champion?

Never rode a motorcycle with a car, never rode in one either.

Thanks for all responses and help.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

My boyfriends dad has one, he's in his 80's and he needed to to hold the bike up. I drove it once and it handled terribly. Riding in the hack is fun though. I always wear my leather WWI replica aviator hat and goggles for that.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:21 AM
Hewatson
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Harley made the sidecar and mounts until 2011. So,with the frame of the 2011 and 2013 being the same everything should fit. I think the new mounts have a brace on the bottom of the frame. I presently have a 2002 with a side car and love it. I am in the process of finding a car fr my 2011. Almost any harley car will work with the correct mounts.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:42 PM
pavin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out motorvation, I'm sure they make mounts for your bike that work with their hacks. We have a spider on a 01 road king and love it. Takes about 20 mins to remove.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:51 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

Check out Hannigan sidecars. http://www.hannigantrikes.com/product-type/sidecars/

My wife and I both have them on out bikes. They have several different models, from sporty looking, low profile models to ones big enough for two people. Easier to remove and replace without realigning than HD hacks, also have electric adjustable camber control, a big help for handling. They make mounts for any HD.

A bike with a hack handles much differently than on two wheels. You steer rather than lean, and it will react differently on acceleration and braking than a two wheel bike. That doesn't mean they handle "badly", just differently.

There is a learning curve to riding with a hack, but once you get it, they are a blast to ride.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hewatson
I think Harley made the sidecar and mounts until 2011. So,with the frame of the 2011 and 2013 being the same everything should fit. I think the new mounts have a brace on the bottom of the frame. I presently have a 2002 with a side car and love it. I am in the process of finding a car fr my 2011. Almost any harley car will work with the correct mounts.
Harley stopped selling sidecars in 2009. Check Liberty at http://www.libertysidecars.com/. Direct bolt-up, traditional styling.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 PM
robber98
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hannigan Sidecars

http://www.hannigantrikes.com is another source for mounts. They also have some great sidecars to fit Harleys and a wide authorized dealer network.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:09 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I could be wrong but I don't think they are designed to be taken off easily or quickly. Take the brake on the hack into consideration for one thing. Sounds like quite a chore to me.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:49 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
I could be wrong but I don't think they are designed to be taken off easily or quickly. Take the brake on the hack into consideration for one thing. Sounds like quite a chore to me.
I don't know about Harley sidecars, but Hannigan sidecars like mine and my wife's take about 20 minutes to take off. Quick disconnects for the brake and electrical connections and four bolts for the mounts. That does leave some brackets on the bike, but they are not in the way or very obvious.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Yep, you are wrong, Disconnect the three mount points and away you go.

Quick Reply: Sidecar?