Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Harley Davidson Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Dave Grayson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Harley Davidson Warranty Question

Is there an issue with the Harley Davidson warranty on a new bike with towing a trailer? I have seen lots of them on the road and heard that it would void the warranty.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM
therealtrikky
6th Gear

That's a "loaded" questions. If you ask HD "mother company" the answer is YES, it will void your warranty, even on the Tri-Glide! From the manufacturer's view point, anything that modifies the frame or structure of the bike voids the warranty. HOWEVER, most dealerships out there will overlook something like the trailer hitch unless they deem the added accessory has a direct bearing on the warranty part in question. If you're unsure, call your local Harley dealer, and ask their service manager where they stand on the issue.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,933 Likes on 19,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Grayson
Is there an issue with the Harley Davidson warranty on a new bike with towing a trailer? I have seen lots of them on the road and heard that it would void the warranty.
You're going to get a lot of "experts" ( myself included ) chime in on this topic ... Reading the owners manual will clarify some points ... Voiding a warranty is a rather broad statement ... However, the bottom line is/should be that they would have to determine definitively that the "act" of towing the trailer was directly attributable to the warranty issue at hand ... If you have a dealer that is that **** I'd seek an alternative source of service ... just my .02 cents worth Brother ... Good Luck with your dilemma!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:09 PM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

My service advisor said that warranty is never automatically voided because of modifications made to a bike.
If the dealer becomes aware of a modification, and "if" the dealer chooses to do so, the dealer can make some kind of an entry/note in your warranty database about the change that was made (example: trailer hitch added).

Then, if you have an issue (example engine problem) the MOCO will go into your warranty database, see that added a hitch and then they may choose to challenge your engine warranty due to the hitch.

By the way, your dealer may know that you added a hitch, but did they ever see you actually pull a trailer? Maybe you never got around to buying it.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Live your life the way you want, then IF a problem is raised, make a logical argument. If someone you do business with is being a pain in your ****, find a new place to spend your money IMHO.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

I can speak from personal experience; a trailer hitch installed on any H-D WILL VOID the warranty.

Had a motor issue on my '07 Ultra that was set up with a Bushtec. H-D rep cancelled my extended warranty & it cost me $6k+ to get the bike fixed. That was in summer of 2011. Just replaced the '07 Ultra with a'14 Limited.

Here's a pic of the '07 rig:

Old 10-05-2013, 10:22 AM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can void the warranty much has to do with the dealer. Harley had NEVER indorsed pulling a trailer and more then likely never will. A sidecar they will.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
dkl032
6th Gear

Was out of town and took to dealer for some electrical issue. They saw trailer and said that if the esp adjuster saw the hitch, he would void warranty. The dealer was cool and said they think that voiding for trailer is stupid. Luckily for me that the issue wasn't major.

I always take hitch off when I take in for warranty work. Would suck if I were out of town. In 8 years only 1 out of town issue.

I would challenge (in court) if they voided for a reason that had nothing to do with the trailer. Magnuson Act (?). Side car ok but trailer not!! B/S

Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

It amazes me the number of people that buy a bike expecting it to breakdown in the first two years. We get on the forum and hear of a guy that knows a guy whose cousin's neighbor had a problem with his 4 year old Harley and we all start thinking extended warranty. And the MOCO is laughing all the way to the bank. I'm not sure if a trailer is a mechanical issue or a safety issue in the eyes of Harley but until they stop selling sidecars, stop offering all kinds of high performance upgrades, and stop putting big screen TV infocenters on the new bikes, I'll be pulling my trailer.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:01 PM
lewis/ec
Stage IV

There is actually a law to protect you as a consumer. The Magnuson Moss warranty act. The MOCO must prove that your trailer was a direct result of the failure. Simply voiding a warranty is against the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Last edited by lewis/ec; 10-31-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Warranty Question