Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Camping Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Getyurmotorunnin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camping Trailer

Im thinking about getting a camping trailer to pull behind the bike, any of you guys have one and how do you like them?

Thks.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

We bought a little old one and pulled it 2600 miles this summer. We enjoyed camping off the ground with more luxuries than with the bike alone. It drew a lot of attention at the campgrounds and it had everything we needed to be comfortable.
It was my first experience pulling a trailer. Around town you have to be aware of it and ride accordingly but on the highway, I was comfortable pulling it 80 miles an hour.
I would recomend buying a used one to see if you like it before laying out a lot of cash for a new one. My trailer is old. Probably from the early to mid 70's. Tent was new. I found it at a garage sale and paid $450 for it. I also have about $300 setting up the trailer hitch and wiring on the bike.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have one and it's for sale , like em a lot been pulling for years , wife isnt able to ride much or camp anymore

Is here

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gear-...xe-camper.html

Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Concours
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I haven't pulled the camper yet with our Limited, I have been pulling a campingcamper with our other bikes since 2005. In fact, we're on our second Bunkhouse SE camper.

For my wife and I, we love to ride and camp .. best of both worlds for us. We're somewhere pretty much every weekend from early May through mid-September. We taken our camper to Kentucky, SW Missouri, all over WI, the UP of MI, MN, IA, and Illinois. It's always ready to go and if we feel like taking off for the weekend, we just hookup and go.

As mentioned it's nice to be up off the ground. Our camper has a California King size (queen) bed, a 6' x 6' room in front of the bed, and at its hghest point when set up you have a little over 7' of headroom. I've got our camper set up for electricty with an external RV style plug in and outlets, and powerstrips and lighting on the inside. We pull into a campsite, decide where the camper is going, and plug in the powercord. While we don't carry an AC like some of friends do, depending on the time of year either have a heater or fans with us. The Bunkhouse has nice awning, but we also added "wings" to either side of the awning to increase the covered area to cover us either from the sun or the rain.

The attention we get at campgrounds is amazing...even after eight years of having a camper it still surprises how many people have never seen a camper like ours. My wife and I have often contemplated charging admission to look inside .

Attached Thumbnails Camping Trailer-031.jpg   Camping Trailer-003.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM
wrench13
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have a 2005 flsysci and pull a full size bunkhouse i highly recomend getting the electric over hydraulic brakes it's a 1200 dollar up grade but sooner or later your gonna be happy you did.from a stand still the front end wobblesa little when you take off,i found that a little more throttle takes care of that problemo.the extra weight on the rear of the bike makes for a smother ride and we're able to do more miles in a day.we take a ac and yamaha 1000 inverter this runs a 5000btu ac just fine also runs our mattress heater in the winter.fully loaded it weights about 425lbs so i keep tongue wieght to about 40lbs and i'm still under gross vehicle wieght