Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

What trike conversion do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 AM
MyClassic09
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What trike conversion do you have?

Im curious as to what conversions anyone has and why they like it over another.

Im just starting as a Roadsmith Dealer in Houston Area and I only hear things from word of mouth on why to get which kit. Im not posting the name of my shop since that will be advertising. I seriously want feedback.

the kits i want to hear about are the IRS kits none of the cheap kits(as you get what you pay for) and the harley tri glide I know is close to a motor trike but is talked to be the worst out of the trikes:

Motor Trike
Roadsmith
California Side Car
Lehman
Champion
Hannigan

Obviously I know more about Roadsmith, I also know about motor trike which isnt a close match on ride quality. I know repairing the roadsmith is far cheaper than the hannigans and CSC,etc by far.

Let me know

Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In 2007 I began my quest to find a trike kit so I could ride again. Motortrike was my choice after seeing several different aftermarket manufactured trike kits and speaking with different factory reps and even John Lehman himself.

My choice was based on 3 factors,
1) Style, I liked the look of Motortrikes Trog kit
2) Suspension, I wanted air ride suspension and MT offers a onboard air compressor to adjust it on the fly ( which I have )
3) Cost, Motortrike was comparable to most ( Lehman was the most expensive )
4) Ease of maintenance. Motortrike uses a Ford Mustang 7.5 or 8.8 rear with Ford drum brakes for replacement brake parts you can get them at any auto parts store. Also solid rear axles require very little maintenance.

As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". What one person finds appealing may not be the same for another

EDIT, I just re-read your posting and missed you only wanted feedback on the IRS. I cant remove this posting.

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 07-25-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:22 PM
RayBishop01
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 Heritage Softail Classic Champion Sidecar conversion. I am the 2nd owner and just enjoy riding this trike. It only lacks one thing - a mount for a tour pack. If I could find a mount that was fabricated for this conversion kit I would never need to purchase another bike (2 or 3 wheel).

Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer

I'm not a mechanic at all. I went to a dealer that handles four or five different manufacturers.

I went with Hannigan mostly because I liked the look of the wider, lower rear end rather than the more boxy MotorTrike which was the other choice. Also, the dealer said MotorTrike's mechanics were a little more complicated than Hannigan's, altho he'd had no problems with either.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Default Current project = Roadsmith

My first kit was the Frankenstein, it provided the look I wanted for the Dyna donor bike. Shown in my sig. Currently building a RS conversion for a Ultra, but doing some radical changes to bike at the same time. Raking and extending the frontend, going with a 26" Wicked Image Nenesis Mod front wheel, with AN Black Platnium fork lowers, Deep Sickness custom bars, plus whatever else I put on over the winter.
I like the RS kit mainly because it is around 11" longer wheelbase. I personally don't care for the short stubby nose look. That's why I usually streach them out some

Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM
MyClassic09
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for feedback...Ive finished a goldwing 1800 kit and this weekend is a goldwing 1500 kit...
still havent done a Harley kit with the roadsmith...I cant wait to play with that one...

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 PM
mr sig
Advanced

I have the Champion conversion kit. I bought the Champion for it's IRS and the reverse gear. I also installed their running boards. I have owned this bike for two months and wish I would have done this years ago.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a DFT kit installed our '01 FatBoy about 7 years ago. We have had no problems. We both enjoy riding the trike. t looks like an old Vette from the rear. It reused the rear caliper, sprocket, belt from the original bike. It cost about $14,500 out the door and painted to match the original color. Good luck in your search.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 PM
ladyff1481
6th Gear

I have a 2011 HD Ultra Classic Limited Roadsmith, she's a beauty! Handles great, never any problems, and great service from Roadsmith. BTW this is my 2ND Roadsmith. Loved the 1ST but wanted a bigger trike and got this. Next trike will be a GW Roadsmith.
P.S. no problems with either Roadsmith Trike I have owned.