Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Aux Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:21 PM
foodog02
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Fuel Tank

Anyone here have a tourtank or something similar? I have a 08 Dyna with a sidecar and my mpg is down to 25 mph or so giving me 100 miles per tank. I plan to go Alaska and that's not gonna cut it. How do I tie a aux fuel tank into the efi system. I have read I can T into the crossover line and gravity feed into the tank but want to know if anyone else has done that?

Last edited by foodog02; 10-30-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 136 Posts

I recently saw, and talked to, a guy who had a small trailer behind his bagger.
He had fab'd a 5 gal aluminum tank that was bolted to the frame of the trailer, under the body of the trailer. It was about the size of a big pizza box, maybe 3" thick. Basically, he lifted the trailer body up, bolted the aux fuel tank to the frame, then remounted the trailer body on top of the tank. He then ran a metal fuel line to a 'T' fitting in the crossover line. He had an electric fuel pump that he operated with a switch on the handle bars. When his low fuel light came on, he'd flip the switch and pump fuel from the aux to the bike. He used a quick disconnect fitting for when he unhooked the trailer. It was a pretty cool setup. Maybe you could do something similar in your side car?

He said that he had over 40,000 miles on the bike with that setup.

Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures. Thought of that after he left.

Last edited by Deucedog; 10-30-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by duecedog
I recently saw, and talked to, a guy who had a small trailer behind his bagger.
He had fab'd a 5 gal aluminum tank that was bolted to the frame of the trailer, under the body of the trailer. It was about the size of a big pizza box, maybe 3" thick. Basically, he lifted the trailer body up, bolted the aux fuel tank to the frame, then remounted the trailer body on top of the tank. He then ran a metal fuel line to a 'T' fitting in the crossover line. He had an electric fuel pump that he operated with a switch on the handle bars. When his low fuel light came on, he'd flip the switch and pump fuel from the aux to the bike. He used a quick disconnect fitting for when he unhooked the trailer. It was a pretty cool setup. Maybe you could do something similar in your side car?

He said that he had over 40,000 miles on the bike with that setup.

Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures. Thought of that after he left.
I don't think that would be legal. Can't have a fuel line going from a towed vehicle to a towing vehice. Now you can have a setup like that on a sidecar since it is attached and not a towed vehicle.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:23 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by foodog02
Anyone here have a tourtank or something similar? I have a 08 Dyna with a sidecar and my mpg is down to 25 mph or so giving me 100 miles per tank. I plan to go Alaska and that's not gonna cut it. How do I tie a aux fuel tank into the efi system. I have read I can T into the crossover line and gravity feed into the tank but want to know if anyone else has done that?
I have plans to ride to Alaska myself one day. I realize this isnt a auxilary fuel tank, but it is simple and easy to carry. I bought 2 of them to take with me.

http://www.easternperformance.com/pr...ing-Saddlebags

Additionally I have seen a few threads on other forums where a few guys had a fuel cell mounted in the tourpack and patched a small pump into the fuel on bikes that were carburated. If I remember either they made theyre own fuel cell or bought a go-cart cell and made that work

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 10-31-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Toad
I don't think that would be legal. Can't have a fuel line going from a towed vehicle to a towing vehice. Now you can have a setup like that on a sidecar since it is attached and not a towed vehicle.
there's a lot of things that may be illegal to do. That we do anyways to our scoots. So I leave what ya do to your scoot up to the individual. "Let those who ride decide"

Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 AM
hdatontodo
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a pic of a TourPak mounted TourTank and a TLE mounted TourTank. Gravity feeds to T in line between tanks on FI ElectraGlide.

Attached Thumbnails Aux Fuel Tank-tontodonato.com_fuelcell.jpg  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 PM
tonsa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aux tank

Originally Posted by hdatontodo
Here's a pic of a TourPak mounted TourTank and a TLE mounted TourTank. Gravity feeds to T in line between tanks on FI ElectraGlide.
I have a 2011 ultra limited and I know its pressurize so I would like to know if someone has done it with my ultra 2011. I posted this on the iron butt site since I do lots of iron butt and really need a good set up of aux tank.

thanks

Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 PM
tonsa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdatontodo
I have the FLHTK 2011 They told me a T in line will not work. Some said I have to weld a connector direct to the bottom of the gas thank. I am going to get the (10"x20") from tourtank and thinking of just putting it on top of the detachable rack will remove my tourpak and put a detachable rack attach is the picture of the rack

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Aux Fuel Tank-detachable-rack.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 AM
lucky520
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 FLHTCU with a four gallon aux tank. I have it hooked up with quick disconects and it uses a T in between the tanks

Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 PM
tonsa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lucky520
I have a 2007 FLHTCU with a four gallon aux tank. I have it hooked up with quick disconects and it uses a T in between the tanks
I also had the 2007 flhtcu that I did but I traded it for a flhtk 2011 and with the 6 gallon tank they remove the T cross over. I am thinking of tapping a bung to the tank and gravity feed it. I am going to buy a tourtank 6 gallon and also buy another tourpak quick disconnect rack that I will mount the tank on top of the plate that I will make.

So anyone here have a better idea with the newer bike that has no crossover so no T line to hook up.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Aux Fuel Tank