Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Enclosed trailer buying

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Default Enclosed trailer buying

I have a touring bike,and looking to buy an enclosed trailer. It has to be able to fit my bike and my OL's Sportster/V Star. I see so many brands out there,and I really would love for someone that knows all about them enlighten me on which brands are good,and which to stay away from. I have been looking at Pace,Diamond Cargo,Homesteader. Also can my bike and her Sportster or V Star fit inside of a 6X12 V-nose,or will I need something bigger?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Mike Kett
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will get all kinds of reply's to this one but the bottom line is yes a 12 x 6 V nose will work just fine for those 2 bikes. I have a Haulmark 12 x 6 V-Nose which I bought new from an E-bay dealer and picked up at the factory. Mine is a lower end model and I have about 3K in it including wheel chocks Tie downs etc.I have hauled an Ultra and a Lowrider in it many times. You will have guys on here tell you you need dual axels, breaks and all sorts of stuff.but thats not really the case. Read all the posts and than look around and ask questions most guys that have trailers will show you their setup and tell you what they like and dislike. Good luck

Old 07-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Hooah09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 6x12 should be more than enough to fit two bikes in side by side; you'll have plenty of extra room behind/in front of the bikes as well. As for brands, I gotta say, they are all pretty much the same. Most companies offer the same available features at about the same prices. Let's be honest, a trailer is not exactly an advanced piece of technology.

I would recommend you check out the used market on eBay or craigslist. The cost of enclosed trailers brand new is somewhat staggering and a good used one will get the job done just as well.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Check your state laws. Trailer brakes are a good idea, most states require them over 2K#
Do the math. 2 bikes and the trailer throw in a few extras and your over the 2K limit. Also consider what are you towing it with. A compact PU SUV or a 3/4ton truck.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

6x12 will work, all brands ok just find one you like and is built decent, I prefer Haulmak or Pace, you can look at some and see they are built like crap. dual axles no need but the extra tire on ea side comes in handy when you have a flat.

brakes are a good idea regaurdless of state law, but not needed unless you are gonna pull it with a small truck like a ridgeline or smaller SUV

Old 07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i had a 6x12. it worked great for 2 sportsters. but when we got our road kings, it wouldn't work with them. my point is, if you are sure that your wife is never gonna get a bigger bike, then the 6x12 is fine. but if you think that there is another bike in her future, you might want to go with the 7x14......

Old 07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I would recommend a tandem right off the back just to make sure there is no trailer wobble. The company I ordered mine through seemed to be the cheapest in price. I have a 7x14 V-nose, tandem axles, brakes on all four wheels, interior light (dinky, but does the job), side door and a 2k lb rated spring assisted rear door. It's a 2008 that I bought in 2007 when I lived in VA. It's made a cross country trip with 4k lbs inside and has made several 350 mile runs with my last move at the end of the year. It still looks and tows like brand new and I love this trailer. For my bike I have a J&S wheel chock in there. The pics should give you an idea of room.

Oh I got mine for $4k delivered to my driveway in VA. Delivery was $375, so trailer was around $3625. I think there is a dealer in Roanoke. It's been a while, but the company is PRO-LINE TRAILERS.

Last edited by JaronB; 07-25-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:05 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the outside!! Sorry the pics are dark, it decided to rain today. I just got their basic V-nose, but they have a lot of upgrade options.

Last edited by JaronB; 07-25-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 PM
funnythebunny
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you plan to tow with? That would play a big part. I rented a 7x14 and both my sporties fit nicely, with room for all my diving gear, including tanks. My 4.6L F150 managed to tow through the mountain passes, but it felt heavy in many ocassions...

Now that the sporties are gone, and with no place to park an enclosed trailer, I got a used Kendon for our SG and the Deluxe; the trailer stands in a friend's backyard.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:35 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've since sold it, but I had a trailer built to my specs a few years back. Check in your are to see if there are any such shops.

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer buying