Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Will a Trailer Void My Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:57 PM
trailerman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a Trailer Void My Warranty?

Will a Trailer Void My Warranty?

Posted on June 21, 2011 by Legendary Innovations, LLC

No, without very specific legal documentation, a manufacturer cannot legally void your product warranty simply because you install aftermarket parts!
Following the Federal law of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a manufacturer must prove beyond reasonable doubt that an aftermarket part caused the specific failure for which the product is being repaired under warranty.
Human nature is to believe something if we are told the same thing enough times! The same holds true if we are a dealer being told something by our district rep /corporate, or if we are a consumer being told something by our dealer.
Bottom Line is that a “recommendation” or a “strong warning” in an owner manual is just that, and is not the same as the legal right to void a warranty for merely installing an aftermarket component.
If your dealer makes this claim, ask them to point to the specific written language that voids your warranty if you install a motorcycle hitch or pull a trailer. Your Dealer may point to strong language as referred to in the previous paragraph, but this is not a void of warranty. Read carefully and do not be intimidated!
Follow the link below to read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Or you could phrase the question as, how much crap am I going to have to go through to get a broken transmission repaired. Or how much crap am I going to have to go through when they put a flag on my power train warranty stating all claims have to be reviewed by Tech services before they are authorized. I know from experience the all mighty MM act isn't the end all be all. Some people think it is a magic wand they can waive at the service manager or dealership owner to make everything right with the world. Until a person has the owner tell them they need to take their bike or trike to another dealer for service they haven't leaned how little the MM warranty act will help them. Or have the owner tell them they are more than welcome to take any legal action they desire.

So when the question is posed whether a modification will void a warranty I just tell them to take their chances and let me know how it all works out for them.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

For the average person that will occasionally pull a trailer, warranty would be the last thing I would worry about. If something on the bike is that weak that it will break with a trailer under warranty, it will more than likely break with or without a trailer. We've got over 92K on our '02 with over 80K with the trailer. No transmission problems and the original clutch. It should have a 100,000 mile on this summer so I might go through the motor this winter. Still runs great.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 PM
BRW
Tourer

I've heard MC reps have been hitting Hog rallies collecting serial # 's of new bikes with hitches??? is it true .... your guess is as good as mine.Came from someone on the inside( dealer insider not MC) But who knows. I know quite afew guys pulling trailers haven't heard any tranny troubles.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I pretty much do with mine what I want and don't worry about the warranty. The MM Act doesn't mean very much when you are broke down and the dealer says it isn't under warranty.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BRW
I've heard MC reps have been hitting Hog rallies collecting serial # 's of new bikes with hitches??? is it true .... your guess is as good as mine.Came from someone on the inside( dealer insider not MC) But who knows. I know quite afew guys pulling trailers haven't heard any tranny troubles.
I've heard this before but have not bumped into anyone who has actually had it happen. Myself I don't much worry about what the MoCo thinks because my warranty is about up and the crummy service I received by my selling dealer and the attitudes of the Moco Customer service reps have convinced me I won't buy another new Harley anytime soon if ever.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
W0ace
Tourer

Same here, my bike, I'll do what I want. Warranty covered a new compensator sprocket at 21K. Dealer said they have done over 50 so far. Never said anything about the hitch. But, yesterday the guy writing up the work order for a new tire install said it might cost more if the hitch is in the way and has to be pulled off. Its not, and I pointed out that this is the second tire install with no extra charge any time before....All was well. Guess it depends on the hitch type....