Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Thinking about triking my ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 PM
honkerdown
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about triking my ultra

Have been thinking really hard about turning my 09 ultra into a trike. Not because of not being able to ride a 2 wheel any longer, more because I have rode my wife's 04 that was trike'd by the previous owner and I enjoy the ride. My question to all of you is this and I know I am going to get a wide array of answers but for your money what trike kits do you all seem to like. As of now I have looked at Motor Trike, Road Smith, Champion, Lehman, & DFT. Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies as far as service afterwards. pros cons everything.

Thanks Don

Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Body style, on board air compressor for the suspension and the solid rear axle was my determining factors. I have a Motortrike with 40k miles. No issues with my trike at all.

A lot of it will depend on who the installing dealer is and how well they support the trike kit they install. You want to factor in a raked triple kit for easier steering when your doing the math.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:49 PM
joev114
Novice

I'm putting a DFT smoothie kit on my 06 Ultra Classic in a couple weeks. Are you installing it or having someone build it. I'll tell you how mine goes and how the end result rides.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 PM
shezaharley
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 15K miles on my Champion trike and am very happy with it. YMMV.

Liz

Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

BTW, If your going to do this and want to keep your original rear fender in one piece. Buy another one for the bike that you wont mind having cut. Your rear fender is cut above the brake light for the trike kit to be installed.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joev114
I'm putting a DFT smoothie kit on my 06 Ultra Classic in a couple weeks. Are you installing it or having someone build it. I'll tell you how mine goes and how the end result rides.
I built my trike with the DFT rear. I didnt get the entire kit from the company. I just purchased the trike rear out to the wheels. Here's a LINK to my build.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 PM
ladyff1481
6th Gear

I own a 2011 Roadsmith Ultra Classic Limited. This is the 2nd Roadsmith Trike I've owned. Needless to say Roadsmith is great. I have been very happy with both Trikes and only traded in the 1st to move up to the Ultra.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about triking my ultra-random-1-013.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you considered just getting a TriGlide? We were going to trike the wife's 07 StreetGlide and found that it wasn't much more to just get a new TriGlide. We found that if you got the Champion kit, had it installed and painted, and added the rake and reverse the total price was around 14,000. I have heard that this is high but it was a quote from a Champion Dealer.

The TriGlide was 32,000 and we got 14,500 trade in for the '07 Streetglide. about 3,000 difference and we now have a two year warranty on the whole thing instead of just on the conversion. Also have a 103 instead of the 96".

Just a thought.

Bill

Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 AM
ladyff1481
6th Gear

Bill,
When I bought my new Trike I considered the TriGlide. I also read up on it alot, especially the opinions of TriGlide owners. TriGlides seem to be lacking alot of stuff that comes standard on many of the other converstions including IRS, bumper, longer warranty, ABS, alarm, longer rake, reverse.

I talked to the Lehman rep. at Americade last year and asked if Lehman would be going to the IRS for the 2012 TriGlide model. I got a reply from him telling me how much safer the straight axel is. So my husband & I stood there thinking, "so why are all the trike companies going to IRS?" Never told him I already owned a 2007 Roadsmith with IRS.

Anyway in Oct. I traded in my 2007 Roadsmith Sportster for a 2011 Roadsmith UC Limited.

Last edited by ladyff1481; 02-26-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ladyff1481
Bill,
When I bought my new Trike I considered the TriGlide. I also read up on it alot, especially the opinions of TriGlide owners. TriGlides seem to be lacking alot of stuff that comes standard on many of the other converstions including IRS, bumper, longer warranty, ABS, alarm, longer rake, reverse.

I talked to the Lehman rep. at Americade last year and asked if Lehman would be going to the IRS for the 2012 TriGlide model. I got a reply from him telling me how much safer the straight axel is. So my husband & I stood there thinking, "so why are all the trike companies going to IRS?" Never told him I already owned a 2007 Roadsmith with IRS.

Anyway in Oct. I traded in my 2007 Roadsmith Sportster for a 2011 Roadsmith UC Limited.
I'm surprised he gave you that reply since Lehman hasn't been involved with the Tri-Glide since end of 2010 model year. They are all now built at the York plant.

Quick Reply: Thinking about triking my ultra