Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

motorcycle campers which one do you reccomend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:42 PM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default motorcycle campers which one do you reccomend?

considering getting a pop up for the bike. starting researh. help please with your experience.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are really opening up a can of worms here. Seems like everyone has nothing but good things to say about their campers. Sort of like bikes, brand of oil, jacks, etc

I have copied this from a past post of mine. Take it for what it is worth.

I shopped around quit a bit and it was a tough decision. The Leesure-lite finally won out with me because of the light weight and we found a used one at a really good price. Manufacturers web site is http://www.leesurelite.com.

My brother has the Aspen style and it is also a very good camper. Every brand has its' good points and not so good points and you will need to weigh them as to which are more important to you.

My Leesure-Lite pros:
* Lightest weight on the market - 255 lbs without any options. Options such as spare wheel, add a rooms, etc, will add weight but this is true of any brand.
* Quickest set up of any brand on the market. I can literally stop the bike and have this set up in less then 2 minutes. Longer if I want to set up the add a room. The bed stays made so no messing with that.
* Low profile = less drag. Some people don't like this look though.
* Hard top when closed.
* Rack on roof allows for tying down extra luggage if you need it.
* Hard floor when opened (as the top is now the floor) which does not touch the ground (since the rack now holds the floor off the ground). No damp floor to deal with, or worse yet no water streaming in from a hard rain.
* Not sleeping on a platform supported by poles.
* Height of sleeping platform. Once this camper is set up, the sleeping platform is stool height from the floor so you do not have to crawl up on to the bed like campers that have storage under the bed. (see storage #2 con below).

My Leesure-Lite cons:
* Cost - These people are damn proud of their campers but if out keep an eye out you can sometimes find a good used deal, but they are hard to come by.
* Storage is on top of the bed and once you open the unit you are faced with moving your 'stuff' off the bed before you can sleep on it. We have solved this issue by using plastic stacking drawers from Wally World. We have four of them which hold most of our 'stuff' and then we stack them in one corner of the floor and they act as a dressing table.

So. All this being said, my pros and cons tipped things to the Leesure-Lite. I could sacrifice on the storage issues because I felt the others were more important. YMMV If you are thinking of hauling an air conditioner, then I would probably steer away from the Leesure-Lite. They do make an adapter to fit a small air conditioner to the window, but the unit would take up a bunch of storage space, unless you strapped it to the top while traveling.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

My wife and I have logged close to 100,000 miles pulling several different trailers.

The three pop-up tent trailers we have enjoyed are the Time-Out, Bunkhouse and Leesure Lite.

We had the Time-out first, and sold it to get an easier set-up and larger storage. Got the Bunkhouse and it was very nice. King-size bed and much easier set-up, AND LOTS of easy to access storage.

While we loved the trailer, we did have some problems with it and the Bunkhouse Mfg. was one of the WORST companies I have ever worked with on making a MFG. defect right. They never did fix it, and their poor customer service left a very bad taste in my mouth.

We now have a Leesure Lite. It has a queen size bed, decent storage, and is the lightest of the three, and also has the smallest profile going down the road.

They all handled well, and we would be happy with any of them.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses, just depends on how you ride and how you want to use the trailer on which one is best.

Because we ride pretty fast at times 75-85 mph, and because we have many trips where we are in a different place each night, the Leesure Lite made the most sense to us having the lowest wind resistance and the easiest set up and breakdown.

We do sometimes miss the extra room we had with the bunkhouse, but do not miss the extra time to set up and breakdown, nor the weight/wind resistance at higher speeds.

Hope this info was useful to you.

Kevin

Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 PM
hardwork2
Road Warrior

thanks guys

Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For motorcycle camping I recommend Hampton Inn or La Quinta.

The following users liked this post:
shoboli nan tanna (08-09-2020)
Old 05-08-2011, 05:51 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by T K Glider
I think you may be right. 5 or 6 grand for a camper. that is alot of nights in a motel and you dont have to drag it around. extra gas and all. after looking at it from a money aspect it will take til I am 70 for it to pay for its self. I dont think at 70 It woll be practical after all. maybe if I found a nice used one for a couple grand but probly not .

Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T K Glider
I prefer Days Inn. Cheap, plain and simple with important stuff - cable TV, AC, clean bed, clean shower.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:17 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holliday Inn there the best campers out there.
KOA has these little cabins, which you get a cot, shower, that's about it, but for the money what else do you need?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Mevman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We pull a Trailmaster Aspen Classic. I have the electric brakes on the trailer also. Amazing storage on this unit and pulls well.

Check out:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

and:

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/index.php

for more discussions on Moto Camping and trailering.

Best wishes