Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer info

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer info

Picked up an ALUMA MCT trailer. Plan on pulling with my RK.
Trailer has a wierd connector on it. I may need to add a pigtail or adapter to connect to bike, The connectors a 6 position with wires to each pin. The tailer has LED lights. Am I lacking the other half of this connector to pigtail to the bike?

Trailer info-connector.jpg

I Haven't gotten a hitch or harness yet for the bike. Trailer has the swivel hitch.

Thanks to all replies

Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain

Nothing?
Everbody's out riding...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a trailer but I have been looking at them for a while.

I do not know what your connector is called but if you want to wire your bike to match, you might want to take a copy of the picture you have to a few places that sell trailers and hitches. They might be able to identify it for you, if no one on here is able to help.

You'll have to figure out which wire goes where (left turn, right turn, stop, tail, etc.) and wire the connector on your bike to match.

Another alternative would be to just replace it and buy a new one for both your trailer and your bike. The picture looks like a couple of the round covers for the plugs are split. If you buy a new connector you could get one that more closely matches your bike or one that has a water cover for when not in use to help keep the connectors from corroding.

Another suggestion would be to look at an item called an isolator. Some bikes electrical systems cannot handle the extra load of the trailer lights. An isolator takes power straight from the battery to the trailer lights and the isolator acts as a relay so that the extra current does not overload your bikes wiring harness. At least that how I believe they work, someone will probably correct me if I am mistaken.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain

Thanks Morris.
I have to get the isolator and hitch still.
THe pictured connector is wired to about 4 inches shorter than the end of the tongue of the trailer. This led me to think there should be a (short) pigtail to complete the length to the bike. I found an aluma dealer not too far away so I was headed there.

Thanks again

Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain

The trailer has a Bushtech connector on it...

Old 04-04-2011, 04:52 PM
hawkeyestoob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Tim,
I am new to the motorcycle trailer world myself and don't know much about the connector you have there. I do agree with Morris that you might be better off replacing the connector on the trailer with a new connector when you wire up your bike for the trailer.

If you are looking for a hitch I just got mine from MCHITCH and am very impressed with the quality. The price was right and they were great to work with.

Good luck.
Craig

Old 04-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Lifelong Biker
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim I posted my trailer on here recently. I just used a simple 4 wire flat connector on the trailer and bike. Simple tap into harness under the seat. You will need a test light. Change bulbs to L.E.D. which fit right in bulb socket and you won't need any special relays or isolators. If you don't feel comfortalbe doing this, I'm sure any bike or car repair shop would do it. Best of luck.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain

THanks
I have LED's already on the bike with load equalizer/tail/stop adapter. I have the wiring diagram for the trailer and it's 5 wire style with LED's as well. THe Bushtec connector on the trailer is 6 wire. They must add another ground.
I will be ordering a Mchitch today.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
morrishuckeba
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Yellow is left turn Green right turn Write is ground Red running lights.
That is all you need.
P.S. could have trailer brakes for the other coolers.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:41 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain

Ordered hitch & harness from MCHITCH today.

Quick Reply: Trailer info