Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike Or Hack

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 469 Likes on 288 Posts

46u

I had a Dauntless Motors sidecar on a 2000 Heritage. It was carb and a 5 speed, I did spend a lot of time in 4th gear.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one of my worries. Before I got the Harley sidecar I put a Baker DD6 in mine. With out the sidecar I cannot run under 62 MPH with out lugging it in 6th gear. I more then likely will have to change the motor sprocket when I put the sidecar on which I hope will be shortly. The DD6 comes with a 28tooth motor sprocket. They make a 27tooth and I might even have to go back stock with the sidecar. I will say with the DD6 I can now run at 80MPH and turn the RPM I use to turn at 70MPH.

I am riding a stock 02 Ultra with 85K on it that I bought new and my sidecar is a 2006 Harley. I bought the sidecar as my 6 year old grandson loves to ride but if me make a day of it he wants to doze off. I worry about him falling off but in the sidecar I would not have to worry. Hes mother just had twin boys so in a few years I will need it to be able to take them all riding. All so my knees are betting bad.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

I owned and rode a Tri-Glide before trading it in on my 09 Deluxe (and having a sidecar built and installed). I rode the Tri-Glide 845 miles to Bike Week in 09 and Rode the Deluxe (without side/car) in 10. This year I rode the Deluxe with sidecar. I rode my Tri-Glide for 7500 miles and now have 14850 on my Deluxe with sidecar. I prefer a Trike over the sidecar due to ease of handling. A bike with sidecar is hell on the shoulders and a whole lot wider. I would still have my Tri-Glide, but it had mechnical issues I wasn't willing to put up with. If they ever trike a V-Rod (water cooled) I'll go back to a Harley Trike....

Bubba

Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bubba49
I owned and rode a Tri-Glide before trading it in on my 09 Deluxe (and having a sidecar built and installed). I rode the Tri-Glide 845 miles to Bike Week in 09 and Rode the Deluxe (without side/car) in 10. This year I rode the Deluxe with sidecar. I rode my Tri-Glide for 7500 miles and now have 14850 on my Deluxe with sidecar. I prefer a Trike over the sidecar due to ease of handling. A bike with sidecar is hell on the shoulders and a whole lot wider. I would still have my Tri-Glide, but it had mechnical issues I wasn't willing to put up with. If they ever trike a V-Rod (water cooled) I'll go back to a Harley Trike....

Bubba
Bubba do you have a steering dampener on you sidecar rig?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Bubba
Sounds like you might want to do some adjusting on the bike lean angle and sidecar toe-in. Just a thought...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 46u
Bubba do you have a steering dampener on you sidecar rig?
Yep, got a nasty looking steering dampener on the right side of the front fork (looks like a storm door closer).

Old 05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A hack for me, Motorvation Spyder, since 06. Hooked to an 06 Road King.

Hack

Old 05-13-2011, 01:24 PM
shezaharley
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 Road King/Champion trike. I can outrun my DH on his standard RK through the curves, and tow a trailer with ease. It's very stable, responsive and fun! The new Harley triglides are more powerful and have electric reverse; go for a test ride. Good luck!

Liz

Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Bubba
http://frankensteintrikes.com/trike_...-rod_page.html

Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg54
I finaly got my head wrapped around the fact that I cannot ride 2 wheels safley. Due to an accident over 3 years ago i cannot pickup my left foot off the ground or operate the foot shift. I've been researching Hacks and Trikes but haven't been able to make up my mind. I'm going to convert my 1990 FLSTC. I have a 103ci 100hp engine and a 6spd trans. Can you experienced Riders of both weigh in on the pros and cons of both as you see it? It'll sure help, Thanks

Just went thru the same deal. I've got some knee problems, that had me trying to make the same choice that your looking at. I personally like the sidecar, I'm a traditionist, and Harley has been making the sidecar for almost 100 years. You can remove the sidecar and return to the two-wheel bike. The sidecar also allows you to carry more than 2 people.
The sidecar is really nice and the "grand kids" love it.

The handling, is the down side, if not set up properly, a sidecar can be like Dancin with a drunk fat girl. You just got to muscle it around. If you have your service work done at a dealer, they don't really want to fool with the sidecar at all.

Also, there are so many Trikes around. Went to The Red River Rally and there were so many trikes, it looked like a "Hoveround' convention!

So, I'm sure I didn't help very much, good luck on the decision!

Last edited by Harleybass; 09-01-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Trike Or Hack