Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer wiring harness with isolator

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Trailer wiring harness with isolator

Anybody use this trailer wiring harness with isolator? Didn't see Open Road Outfitters on the Sponsor list and would like to hear if anybody has had any luck (good or bad) with their products. Says it's a complete Harley wiring harness for 5-wire trailer and includes plug-in subharness for your bike and relay package.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer wiring harness with isolator-motorcycle-trailer-wiring-harness-5-wire.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 01:31 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Anybody use this trailer wiring harness with isolator? Didn't see Open Road Outfitters on the Sponsor list and would like to hear if anybody has had any luck (good or bad) with their products. Says it's a complete Harley wiring harness for 5-wire trailer and includes plug-in subharness for your bike and relay package.
How much and where did you find it?

I have no opinion and was in the same boat. I just pulled the trigger on the Khrome Werks hitch and harness w/isolator & connector. $98 for the HD 5 wire harness/isolator/connector from Phat Performance Parts.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wired mine with a standard trailer wiring kit, and bought a hoppy isolator at the local auto parts store in case I needed to exchange it.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

I have no experiance with that particular kit, but it looks good. Using an isolator is a very good idea, could save you a lot of problems. I used a Kriss isolator when wiring up my bike for the trailer and another for the sidecar on my wife's bike.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:50 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
How much and where did you find it?

I have no opinion and was in the same boat. I just pulled the trigger on the Khrome Werks hitch and harness w/isolator & connector. $98 for the HD 5 wire harness/isolator/connector from Phat Performance Parts.
I'll have to check out Phat Performance Parts. I also ended up with a Khrome Werks hitch. The wiring harness I was looking at is from:

Open Road Outfitters
Complete Harley Wiring Harness for 5-Wire Trailer
$99.85

A relay-isolation harness is a good investment if you're planning to pull a trailer. This setup allows you to drive a set of trailer lights (standard bulbs or LEDs) without affecting or loading the bike's signal circuits. In the event that a short develops in the trailer wiring (typically in the plug area), an inline fuse in the relay package protects both the bike and trailer. Your bike's lights will remain unaffected and continue to work. Simple plug-n-play installation makes it a snap to install.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer wiring harness with isolator-motorcycle-trailer-wiring-harness-5-wire.jpg  
Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
I'll have to check out Phat Performance Parts. I also ended up with a Khrome Werks hitch. The wiring harness I was looking at is from:

Open Road Outfitters
Complete Harley Wiring Harness for 5-Wire Trailer
$99.85

A relay-isolation harness is a good investment if you're planning to pull a trailer. This setup allows you to drive a set of trailer lights (standard bulbs or LEDs) without affecting or loading the bike's signal circuits. In the event that a short develops in the trailer wiring (typically in the plug area), an inline fuse in the relay package protects both the bike and trailer. Your bike's lights will remain unaffected and continue to work. Simple plug-n-play installation makes it a snap to install.
Here is the link for PhatPerformance, look towards the bottom - the item# is 720582.

" 1 of : Khrome Werks 5-Pin Trailer Connector Kit - 96-10 FLT Touring Models with Isolator Module - (exc. 2010 FLHX, FLTR; 09-10 SE CVO)"

HTH

Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Retired Navy Chief
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Escapade trailer from them a few years back. No problems. Dale has a vast motorcycle travel travel writings. He has sent me extra wiring when requested and passed it on with no charge. A+ IMHO. David

Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 AM
STEAMER
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 Softail FXST

I am after a trailer wiring Kit to suite my 2011 FXST, all kits only do up to 2010. i believe the wiring is different. I am in Australia. any help appreciated.
I did buy a Kuryakn part #7672 plug & play, but now told wont work.