Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

big sky fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default big sky fans

The postman just driopped off my Big Sky oil cooler fan(s). I was expecting something a little larger as these two together are about as large as the fan on my computer. Someone say something to make me feel more enthusiastic about them.

edit: added a picture of the Jagg with the BS fan.

Attached Thumbnails big sky fans-img_0705.jpg  

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 08-13-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:13 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Puny

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
The postman just driopped off my Big Sky oil cooler fan(s). I was expecting something a little larger as these two together are about as large as the fan on my computer. Someone say something to make me feel more enthusiastic about them.

I made some comments early on about these being a little puny! I really like the intigrated fan on the Ultra Cooler but I had already done the Arizona Kit.

Now having said that, I used industrial epoxy to weld those muffins together and rigged a mount to allow me to install them on the Jagg 10.

You can put your hand behind the cooler and feel them pulling some air through. You can hear them running if you don't have the Lanale or Harley parade fan on.

95-98 degree days in traffic I hit the fans and run around 240-245 oil temp. I don't know which one is pulling its weight, the Lanale or the oil cooler fan but it is a drastic cool down from last August. They have been around for a while but as for durability, time will tell. I have had mine wet, rode in some hard rain and they still work.

The EITMS has not been engaged but once this summer! I let it kick in to see if I could make it kick out with the Fans. The EITMS kicked out in a couple of minutes after the Fans kicked in. The oil temp was 275 and climbing, to much rabbit blood to see how far the fans would pull the oil temperature back down, for what seemed forever I was only back down to around 160 so I put the Tri back in the wind and it soon dropped back to around 245.

The point is, kick the fans in as soon as you get in slow traffic, they don't do as well pulling those temps back down as they do in preventing them from getting that high.

I would be interested to know how the Ultra Cooler does, especially on the cool down test. That is a beefy looking unit!

Attached Thumbnails big sky fans-imag0008.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used them when my engine was 103 and I still had the stock HD 6 row oil cooler. They do work to help pull air through when in traffic

Old 08-13-2010, 08:00 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True, not much to llok at but they do work. I could only fit one in and it does the job.

Jim

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Guys I know this thread is old but I posted a question about fitting the Big Sky fans behind the filter on my 09 FLHTCU with the HD oil cooler.

Did any of you have to move the oil cooler mount forward to get the fans behind the oil cooler?

I don't have enough room so I tried a front mount but durign the mock up when the forks compress the filters are too close to the back of the front fender.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Modify the Mount

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
Guys I know this thread is old but I posted a question about fitting the Big Sky fans behind the filter on my 09 FLHTCU with the HD oil cooler.

Did any of you have to move the oil cooler mount forward to get the fans behind the oil cooler?

I don't have enough room so I tried a front mount but durign the mock up when the forks compress the filters are too close to the back of the front fender.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.
I took a piece of 1/4" plate something like 2X6" and drilled them for the HD mount and the Jagg 10 mount, two 2" spacers and longer bolts and raised the mount up out of the line of fire and out to get the fans behind the Jagg pulling air through from the front as they should.

I know this is worthless without PICS but lost my pictures of the mount, will try to take some more and post tonight!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Thanks Coupe55,
If you can find any pics easily their much appreciated. I do understand your mod method and will have a look at that. It could be the case that the HD OEM mount might have enough meat to allow me to drill some new holes and move the OC forward.
I'll have a look at that this weekend when I have the bike on the lift.

Cheers,
V2Evo96

Old 11-24-2010, 08:16 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Check Prior Post

Thanks Coupe55,
If you can find any pics easily their much appreciated. I do understand your mod method and will have a look at that. It could be the case that the HD OEM mount might have enough meat to allow me to drill some new holes and move the OC forward.
I'll have a look at that this weekend when I have the bike on the lift.

Cheers,
V2Evo96
Check my post on this thread, 3rd one down. I have a thumbnail you might be able to get the general idea from. My old laptop went down and I lost a lot of my pics. Will take some more if this don't help.

You can use 3/8" pipe or even PVC for the 2" extensions.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:33 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by coupe55
Check my post on this thread, 3rd one down. I have a thumbnail you might be able to get the general idea from. My old laptop went down and I lost a lot of my pics. Will take some more if this don't help.

You can use 3/8" pipe or even PVC for the 2" extensions.
Thanks Coupe55,

I understand what you did now. I saw the small uprights next to the cooler body but it didn't soak in until we posted further.

I will either go up, forward, or both depending on what it takes to get the fans behind the cooler.
I reckon it will make a big difference in slow traffic. I got stuck in the city a few weeks ago and the ETIMS was coming on at every light and the OT gauge was clocking above 250F...

I do appreciate your responses to my queries.

Be safe,
V2Evo 96

Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default A Process

Thanks Coupe55,

I understand what you did now. I saw the small uprights next to the cooler body but it didn't soak in until we posted further.

I will either go up, forward, or both depending on what it takes to get the fans behind the cooler.
I reckon it will make a big difference in slow traffic. I got stuck in the city a few weeks ago and the ETIMS was coming on at every light and the OT gauge was clocking above 250F...

I do appreciate your responses to my queries.

Be safe,
V2Evo 96
I got the Jagg 10 row cooler fans on the ACC switch along with the Lanale Parade Fan, just hit them when I hit the slow traffic. Lost the Catalytic Converter and richened up the fuel, XIED's work in the idle range.

I pust amsoil in at the 1000 and my EIMTS has not kicked in this year. Last August when I bought it new it was really hot, the emergency idle heat management was kicking in a lot in traffic and the thing was running over 300 F. I never hit over 240 this summer on the hottest days. Back in the 200 F range as quick as I could get it back in the wind.

For rider comfort I used header wrap and sealer on the pipes, don't help the engine but makes a world of difference for the rider on hot days.

Quick Reply: big sky fans