Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Oil Temp gage

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:51 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
The temp sensor which goes into the pan will show pretty much the warmest vs the one for the dipstick due to residence time in the pan and working its way through the baffling. I've never bothered to cross check the pan temp sensor vs what one could read from the dipstick hole. Might be awhile before I ride my TG again but maybe my dad might get chance to get a temp gauge reading vs a reading at the dipstick. I have a lab quality digital probe in my toolbox that can be inserted in the dipstick hole.
Yo Coupe! My dad and I went for a little putt this morning for breakfast. When his Harley Temp gauge read 220 degrees the temp probe I stuck in the dip stick hole read 175 degrees, pretty good difference between the 2. If you look in the service manual you will see how the oil travels through the baffles and pan.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:25 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bdn56
Good morning Barbara, I sent you a PM.
Got your PM and you will like my answer

Old 07-24-2010, 06:29 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Okey doke...here's the answer from my HD Service person on the dip stick issue: I can use the LED one, but it is only for reading oil temp, not for measuring how much oil I have. To measure, I would have to take out the 'fancy one' and put the stock one in. Yeah, sure I'm going to do that.

bdn....you've got mail

Old 07-24-2010, 07:40 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Temp Difference

Yo Coupe! My dad and I went for a little putt this morning for breakfast. When his Harley Temp gauge read 220 degrees the temp probe I stuck in the dip stick hole read 175 degrees, pretty good difference between the 2. If you look in the service manual you will see how the oil travels through the baffles and pan.
That is quite a bit more difference between the pan and tank temperature than the 20-25 I had heard was the norm. That could have been with non cooler bikes. That is a good indication that Jagg 10 is doing a good job! I am very old school about that oil and not at all satisfied with the oil temps on an OEM 2010 Tri. I feel with the pan readings 240 and under with the Amsoil I can expect some extended service. Mine runs 200-220 on days like today off idle in the wind and am not getting the blow by "misting". I wish that Baker Pan would fit the 2010, it would be a bear to put on but I feel we could get those oil temps down even more.

Had some techs tell me telling me there is such a thing as running to cool but in no fear of that with the Tri. I used the termostat for the old cooler for the Jagg so it is going to warm the oil up to operating temps before passing it through the cooler. The moisture they are talking about burning off should take place at 190 or 200.

Last edited by coupe55; 07-24-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:39 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
Had some techs tell me telling me there is such a thing as running to cool but in no fear of that with the Tri. I used the termostat for the old cooler for the Jagg so it is going to warm the oil up to operating temps before passing it through the cooler. The moisture they are talking about burning off should take place at 190 or 200.
I would sure think 190 or better should take care of it.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would sure think 190 or better should take care of it.
My TG seems to run best at about 190-200. When it's in the 230-240 range is when I start to lose low end grunt. It may take 20-25 minutes for it to reach that temp from a cold start.----even in this hot weather.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sluggish

Originally Posted by Boom
My TG seems to run best at about 190-200. When it's in the 230-240 range is when I start to lose low end grunt. It may take 20-25 minutes for it to reach that temp from a cold start.----even in this hot weather.
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, mine is not sluggish to to a large degree but you can tell the Tri is more responsive and you get a more crisp throttle response 190-210. I have to use a little more clutch sometimes pulling out when the oil temp is in the 240 range.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, mine is not sluggish to to a large degree but you can tell the Tri is more responsive and you get a more crisp throttle response 190-210. I have to use a little more clutch sometimes pulling out when the oil temp is in the 240 range.
+1 on that Coupe. I have also noticed that I have to slip the clutch more and the idle is different.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
+1 on that Coupe. I have also noticed that I have to slip the clutch more and the idle is different.
Hmmm, I was hoping with the addition of the 255 cam, you wouldn't have that (?)

Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

By the time you reach these oil temps the warm up enrichment table really starts to decay so your AFR is leaner which saps some of the power. Plus as you had learned in your racing days there is always a operating temperature sweet spot where the engine will make the best power. I've never given the clutch much thought, I'm pretty much a flick the throttle and go type of person. Another consideration is we're trying to get tubby the trike moving with a pretty **** poor primary and low gear ratio. If the MoCo had been using their head they would have considered gearing the Triglide a little better.

Last edited by msocko3; 07-25-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp gage