Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

voes with sidecar

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:02 AM
police
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voes with sidecar

HI ALL, I put a side car on the 80cu shovlhead lowrider ten years back and have had no probs ,i have just put a new donk in it and are running solo for a while but will go back to the chair soon maybe. I have installed a single fire ultima ignition and at the moment have a toggle switch rigged instead of a voes. I do have a voes which is set for 6 inches hg that i am going to install .Have any of you guys run a chair with the voes switch and is 6 inches hg set high enough to run ok. cheers kev

Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What the heck did he say?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Uh,,,,,,,, danged if I know.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he meant this:
"What is the Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch (VOES)? What does it do and why is it there?

All Harley Davidson motorcycle carbureted models since the 1984 model year have used the VOES to improve throttle response, increase MPG, and meet EPA requirements for emissions.

The VOES is a motorcycle part described as a vacuum ignition retard device. That is, under low vacuum conditions the switch is open and has no effect on ignition timing. Under high vacuum, the switch closes and advances ignition timing. Essentially, the VOES is like the vacuum advance in older type automotive distributors.

The VOES is a normally open vacuum operated switch that closes under 3-5" of vacuum, are adjustable and usually require different settings for different bikes. The switch is connected to a lead from the ignition module. Under high vacuum, 3-5 inches or higher, the switch closes. A lead from the switch to ground closes a circuit in the ignition module. This circuit advances the timing of the spark. The advance increases throttle response and decrease fuel consumption and emissions.

The vacuum hose is usually connected to a port on the carburetor or intake manifold depending on motorcycle year and carburetor. There are several different VOES switches used the mounting bracket style and operating vacuum being the main differences. The FLHT models have a different vacuum range than the other models. However, just about any VOES can be adapted for use by adjusting the point at which the switch closes.
As an example...
FLT: 5.0 - 6.0 inches of mercury
FXR: 3.5 - 4.5 inches of mercury

Your vacuum gauge measures in in/Hg (inches of mercury) and/or mm/Hg (millimeters of mercury).

The point at which the switch closes.

The switches can be adjusted by removing the potted plug and adjusting the setscrew. You will need an accurate vacuum gauge and vacuum hand pump. We have been able to set the operating point as low as 2 inches and as high as 7 inches. " (courtesy--"glider", hdtalking.com)

I think this is what "donk" means:
"Hi-Risers are a type of highly customized automobile, typically an inexpensive American-built sedan modified by significantly increasing the ground clearance and adding large-diameter wheels with low-profile tires. Depending on the model and build year, autos customized in this manner can be labeled "donk," "box," or "bubble."
The term donk came from the impala symbol on any chevy impala from the year 1971 to 1976, because the symbol looked like a "donkey". "
(courtesy--Wikipedia)

Yeah, I guess I'm a little bored this morning.

Last edited by Boom; 07-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Boom
I think he meant this:
"What is the Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch (VOES)? What does it do and why is it there?

All Harley Davidson motorcycle carbureted models since the 1984 model year have used the VOES to improve throttle response, increase MPG, and meet EPA requirements for emissions.

The VOES is a motorcycle part described as a vacuum ignition retard device. That is, under low vacuum conditions the switch is open and has no effect on ignition timing. Under high vacuum, the switch closes and advances ignition timing. Essentially, the VOES is like the vacuum advance in older type automotive distributors.

The VOES is a normally open vacuum operated switch that closes under 3-5" of vacuum, are adjustable and usually require different settings for different bikes. The switch is connected to a lead from the ignition module. Under high vacuum, 3-5 inches or higher, the switch closes. A lead from the switch to ground closes a circuit in the ignition module. This circuit advances the timing of the spark. The advance increases throttle response and decrease fuel consumption and emissions.

The vacuum hose is usually connected to a port on the carburetor or intake manifold depending on motorcycle year and carburetor. There are several different VOES switches used the mounting bracket style and operating vacuum being the main differences. The FLHT models have a different vacuum range than the other models. However, just about any VOES can be adapted for use by adjusting the point at which the switch closes.
As an example...
FLT: 5.0 - 6.0 inches of mercury
FXR: 3.5 - 4.5 inches of mercury

Your vacuum gauge measures in in/Hg (inches of mercury) and/or mm/Hg (millimeters of mercury).

The point at which the switch closes.

The switches can be adjusted by removing the potted plug and adjusting the setscrew. You will need an accurate vacuum gauge and vacuum hand pump. We have been able to set the operating point as low as 2 inches and as high as 7 inches. "

I think this is what "donk" means:
"Hi-Risers are a type of highly customized automobile, typically an inexpensive American-built sedan modified by significantly increasing the ground clearance and adding large-diameter wheels with low-profile tires. Depending on the model and build year, autos customized in this manner can be labeled "donk," "box," or "bubble."
The term donk came from the impala symbol on any chevy impala from the year 1971 to 1976, because the symbol looked like a "donkey". "

Yeah, I guess I'm a little bored this morning.
Boy, Boom!!! I'm impressed.
Butch

The following users liked this post:
R_polly (09-25-2022)
Old 07-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
Boy, Boom!!! I'm impressed.
Butch
Google works wonders!!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, I too am IMPRESSED. I've graduated from two colleges and still didn't know all that, especially the foreign lingo.....way to go. Hey to ya'll down under too.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:55 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Boom I hate to show this but your definition for a "Donk" is American slag, Police is Austrialian

Donk = Australian, slang) To provide a second person with a lift on a bicycle, either by carrying on the handlebar or by sharing the seat.

As far as his question goes for the VOES, you need to make sure you have your timing is spot on if you plan on using the flip switch. Advancing the timing a full 6 degrees all at once will cause detonation otherwise. The only time I remember anyone using a flip switch was when they were racing and needed the full advance at once

Old 07-11-2010, 07:03 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Well Boom I hate to show this but your definition for a "Donk" is American slag, Police is Austrialian

Donk = Australian, slang) To provide a second person with a lift on a bicycle, either by carrying on the handlebar or by sharing the seat.

As far as his question goes for the VOES, you need to make sure you have your timing is spot on if you plan on using the flip switch. Advancing the timing a full 6 degrees all at once will cause detonation otherwise. The only time I remember anyone using a flip switch was when they were racing and needed the full advance at once
That alright BOON, I'm still impressed. FLTR2008 How's that engine working out for you?

Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM
police
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI thanks for replies, sorry about the lingo guys, new donk = new engine. the old shovel ignition did not have the voes switch only evo's but with changing to the single fire there is a different ignition curve, thats why i was asking about the voes setup as the weight difference with the sidecar (chair) will make a difference and would need to be adjusted accordingly thanks kev

aussie slang::: TO DINK ,, give another person a lift on a pushie (pushbike)sitting on crossbar handlebar or rear carrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by police; 07-11-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: voes with sidecar