Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Campers and Weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shopped around quit a bit and it was a tough decision. The Leesure-lite finally won out with me because we found a used one at a really good price. Manufacturers web site is http://www.leesurelite.com/ I see there is a dealer in VA.

My brother has the Aspen style and it is also a very good camper. Every brand has its' good points and not so good points and you will need to weigh them as to which are more important to you.

My Leesure-Lite pros:
* Lightest weight on the market - 255 lbs without any options. Options such as spare wheel, add a rooms, etc, will add weight but this is true of any brand.
* Quickest set up of any brand on the market. I can literally stop the bike and have this set up in less then 2 minutes. Longer if I want to set up the add a room.
* Low profile = less drag. Some people don't like this look though.
* Hard top when closed.
* Rack on roof allows for tying down extra luggage if you need it.
* Hard floor when opened (as the top is now the floor) which does not touch the ground (since the rack now holds the floor off the ground). No damp floor to deal with, or worse yet no water streaming in from a hard rain.
* Not sleeping on a platform supported by poles.
* Height of sleeping platform. Once this camper is set up, the sleeping platform is stool height from the floor so you do not have to crawl up on to the bed. However, this is because there is no storage space under the bed as in other campers (see storage #2 con below).

My Leesure-Lite cons:
* Cost - These people are damn proud of their campers. After all the comparisons, and my desire for this model, I probably would have bought something else if I had not stumbled on to a great used deal.
* Storage #1 - You can access the storage while on the road by lifting the lid on the trailer but the area is shared by the tent material. This still leaves you with a considerable amount of storage and we do have the pod on the front.
* Storage #2 - Storage is on top of the bed and once you open the unit you are faced with moving your 'stuff' off the bed before you can sleep on it. We have solved this issue by using plastic stackable drawers from Wally World. We have four of them which hold most of our 'stuff' and then we stack them in one corner of the floor and they act as a dressing table.

Soooo. All this being said, my pros and cons tipped things to the Leesure-Lite. I could sacrifice on the storage issues because I felt the others were more important. YMMV If you are thinking of hauling an air conditioner, then I would probably steer away from the Leesure-Lite. They do make an adapter to fit a small air conditioner to the window, but the unit would take up a bunch of storage space, unless you strapped it to the top while traveling.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser

Etstrin;Wow thanks for all the info...unfortunately I leak when it gets TOO hot/humid so any way to cool it would be an asset.I love to camp and being in a Humid area Su%%@ big time.I was in Colorado and Idaho with no Humidity....just getting to where I can stand the Humid South again.I like the lower weight of your unit and the hard-top that makes the floor when set up,I just need to research more to see what will work for the BOSS and me...thank you for your time and replies please keep them comming,cause I am lookin.....Dave

Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Baddogisme
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello i have the timeout cooler package i bought in 1999 off the ground unit thats what sold me. my old flh took us to sturgis and back many a time and washington dc. so this camper has the miles and still looks new. now i have a 2009triglide that i just had my dealer make me a hitch for it. doesnt seem to be to bad on the triglide but will see as summer continues..looking to have ac unit put in hahaahhaha i know i know i am getting old....but if i had it to do over again i would get the camper that is off the ground i have seen many a camper with water from running in being so close to the ground but that was a freak rain that week ......hopes this helps and my typing isnt confusing anyone...

Last edited by Baddogisme; 06-22-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: wanna add picture
Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Baddogisme
Intermediate

heres a pic of the camper

Attached Thumbnails Campers and Weight-camper-ready-for-us.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 05:49 PM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser

Great lookin trailer baddogisme;How does it tow with the trike???Yea after not livin in humidity its tough to get back to the south east.An ac /swamp cooler set up will prolly be in my camper when I finally decide to get one.Still cant get the weight/bulk thing out of my head.Was lookin hard at using a small open trailer and adding a roof top tent set up....but was still totin 250 lbs and no place to dress or sit if the weather didn't cooperate.Everybody please keep the suggestions commin....what you have/had why you like it/or didn't like it,what it weighs loaded/empty any info/pictures...so I can make a more educated GUESS as to what I'll get....Thanks Dave

Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Baddogisme
Intermediate

well if you are ever in my neck of the woods dave stop by i will let u drive one to see how it handels different ppl set up there trailers differently, damn i need to learn to type and spell. wehn i am all loaded i am about a tad bit over 450lbs and it does well
now your not going to ride like you nornally would with out it but then same as a car when you attach a trailer you learn to be safer at least i think so. i dont hook up my chains either cause if the trailer lets go i rather it go with out taking me with it...

Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 AM
Baddogisme
Intermediate

i checked on ac for my old unit and well time out was real nice to me and told me for a small fee of around a grand i can have ac slot i think i can find a canvas person cheaper dont you all? hahahahahaa

Old 06-24-2010, 04:36 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddogisme
well if you are ever in my neck of the woods dave stop by i will let u drive one to see how it handels different ppl set up there trailers differently, damn i need to learn to type and spell. wehn i am all loaded i am about a tad bit over 450lbs and it does well
now your not going to ride like you nornally would with out it but then same as a car when you attach a trailer you learn to be safer at least i think so. i dont hook up my chains either cause if the trailer lets go i rather it go with out taking me with it...
The puprose of the chains is to keep it behind you so that it doesn't take out someone else. It is illegal to not hook up the chains.I have pulled many a trailor by car/truck ( still do ) and always hook up the chains. I would not want to be responsible for hurting someone else. Just my opinion.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
The puprose of the chains is to keep it behind you so that it doesn't take out someone else. It is illegal to not hook up the chains.I have pulled many a trailor by car/truck ( still do ) and always hook up the chains. I would not want to be responsible for hurting someone else. Just my opinion.
+1, I still remember the clown who's boat came unhooked from the back of his truck then went left of center only to slam into the side of my brothers truck. This clowns insurance got to pay out a fair chunk of change in both vehicle and medical damages. The cop wasn't very impressed with his choice not to hook the chains up, he made it clear while he wrote the citations.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Baddogisme
Intermediate

good point note taken i do use the chains on everything else and i guess i will be this now to thanx i guess i should have known that ...

Quick Reply: Campers and Weight