Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Changing door on a Cargo Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:40 PM
F_CPT98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing door on a Cargo Trailer?

I got a really good deal on a almost brand new cargo trailer recently. The only problem with it is it has the two hinged doors. I thought it was no big deal because I have a ramp but when I loaded my Street Bob and My wifes Iron I found out I was wrong! Both bikes bottom out at the top of the ramp. So I have to jack the tongue of the trailer way up and put a 2x6 under the ramp to get them in & out (No Fun!) So I wanted to see if anyone has changed a door on one of these to a ramp door? Would make it much easier. I looked into longer ramps but they are in the $600-800 range so if i'm going to spend that kind of money I would rather have a ramp door...

Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Could just pay attention to how you park when loading/unloading bikes. I have towed a lot of trailers, usually easy to find a way to get the tail closer to the ground even without unhooking. Ditches, curbs, drive aprons. Watch back of trailer get close to ground while you drive around.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
jdpkwuait
Novice
Default I had the same problem

I bought a new 16 foot V-nose with a drop down ramp. First time I loaded one of my bike, it high centered once it transitioned from ramp to trailer floor. I corrected the problem by adding a new hinged, longer aproach transtion ramp to the fold down trailer ramp. I is very easy to fold in and out and works great. All you need to do is figure a way to reduce the ramp angel. May be as easy as hinging the ramp you have now and support it under the hinge, hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:08 PM
streetisneat
6th Gear

I had same trouble with a car hauler and a low rider pickup. The truck sat 4 in off the ground. I ended up buying 8 ft 2x12 pressure treated planks and supported them in the middle and drove right up worked great for 2 yrs untill I bought a tilt bed trailer. I would by 2x12 the height of trailer to see if ramp door will sovle the issue first ! Just a thought.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 PM
robandlyn
Road Master

Have you thought of using one these ?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...s+arched-ramps

Rob ....

Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree with Rob, look at getting some arched ramps. Why?

What you are thinking about doing, changing the doors out to a ramp door is a MAJOR MAJOR undertaking. You could probably trade trailers cheaper than trying to change out the rear doors to a ramp. The door frames are different and nothing fits. Unless you have a sloped rear floor the ramp change will not help that much either. You will still high center at the breakover hinge point.

I think you will find that arched ramps will be much cheaper and work better.