Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Brakes on a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010 | 07:48 PM
honkerdown
|
Tourer
Default Brakes on a trailer

Ok i am building a pull behind trailer in which I am using wheels that I bought at a swap meet for 125.00 each. I then made an axle for the trailer frame. After reading some posts about pull behind trailers everyone talks about the stopping distances increasing with the additional weight.

My question is this if I install rotors on the wheels and the proper calipers could I go to the rear wheel of the bike and place a ''Y" or some sort of a splitter then attach brake line to the back of the bike. From there have the brake lines from the trailer wheels come forward to the hitch area and connect to the bike. I am sure that I have enough clearance between the wheel and the fender as well as the frame.

Any thoughts would be nice.

Thanks Don

Attached Thumbnails Brakes on a trailer-0017.jpg   Brakes on a trailer-0018.jpg   Brakes on a trailer-0083.jpg   Brakes on a trailer-0089.jpg   Brakes on a trailer-0078.jpg  

Last edited by honkerdown; 05-10-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2010 | 09:51 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by honkerdown
Ok i am building a pull behind trailer in which I am using wheels that I bought at a swap meet for 125.00 each. I then made an axle for the trailer frame. After reading some posts about pull behind trailers everyone talks about the stopping distances increasing with the additional weight.

My question is this if I install rotors on the wheels and the proper calipers could I go to the rear wheel of the bike and place a ''Y" or some sort of a splitter then attach brake line to the back of the bike. From there have the brake lines from the trailer wheels come forward to the hitch area and connect to the bike. I am sure that I have enough clearance between the wheel and the fender as well as the frame.

Any thoughts would be nice.

Thanks Don
1st major problem I see is to get the brakes to work you would have to bleed the rear system each time you connect to the trailer. A quick disconnect wont work because you would get air in the brake line each time its un-coupled
and re-connected

2nd problem is the length of line and hose for the pressure. Im pretty sure the rear master cylinder wouldnt handle the volume of fluid needed to even get the brakes on the trailer to work. At best your rear brake pedal would feel spongy

If you had used a axle setup from a small trailer with a inertia brake system then you might be able to get them to function. But even then having brake on that small of a trailer could be overkill and make for a situation when stopping you dont want

If your set on this I would suggest you look into dual six piston front brakes for the bike and good pads such as EBC. I use EBC carbon fiber pads on my brembro calipers on my trike. They dont last as long as the stock pads but give great stopping friction and to date havent faded on my trike when I have had to make a hard stop. 90% of my stopping is done with the front brakes

BTW, nice job on the trailer. The back of it looks great

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 05-10-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2010 | 07:36 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior

Electric brakes on the trailer.

Old 05-11-2010 | 08:43 AM
DB10881
Cruiser

I have towed a trailer all over the U.S. since 2003 and although there is a slight difference in stopping distance during hard braking it has never posed a problem that would make me want brakes on the trailer. If you were going to install brakes Electric, like the kind on an RV, would be the only way to go.

Old 05-11-2010 | 01:11 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

If couldn't stop it with the brakes on the bike I wouldn't be pulling it. If the brakes on the trailer decide to lock up or do something ugly its going to be a bad ride when the tail decides its going to wag the dog.

Old 05-11-2010 | 02:14 PM
honkerdown
|
Tourer

Have change my mind No brakes thanks for input.