Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Heat source has moved

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard Living

Originally Posted by Boom
Couldn't be any worse than my mug shot..............

Well the wild life will cause this eventually, still all things considered this would not be so bad!

If he was not 20 years old

Old 04-22-2010, 04:55 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder. I'm sure there is someone out there that would consider you one handsome dude.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I recognized that guy; I’ve seen him every morning for the past 5 years standing at the freeway entrance with a cardboard sign that says: “Out of Gas”…and every morning I think to my self…boy, I sure am one lucky guy…this poor guy gets worse gas mileage than I do!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,042 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Dad, is that really you??

Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of looks like me with hair....

Old 04-22-2010, 02:17 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Back on topic

This reinforces what I've been saying for years, "if I had any idea I would live to be this old I would have taken better care of myself".

I think I have it confirmed there is no safe guard shut down to protect against catostropic heat related engine failure on the Tri Glide's. The EITMS and a program that forces you to idle when you run the engine to hard are what safeguards Harley built into them.

Which takes me back to my position it is better to get the Tri cooled down below where the EITMS kicks in just to be on the safe side. 285 is scary close to the 300 Degree temp, where even synthetic oil starts to break down. If we can get these things to idle in mid summer heat, down town without the EITMS kicking in we should derive a little extra margin of assurance "peace of mind that we might be able to get some extended engine life without a rebuild".

I'm sure Harley engineer's know more about the heat threshold or upper temperature limits before an engine starts to fail but to me they are pushing the envelope! Again I was probably influenced by my ol carbureted 03 FLHT, "pre EPA Harley".

The new 2010 EPA Clean Air Standard forced Harley to inadvertantly raise this heat envelope in order to comply with the new standard. MOCO will tell you they are within generated heat limits at idle with these new touring bikes. It is my contention they are not but time will tell I guess!

Old 04-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,042 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I think you should speak to this guy. He is X HD Customer Service. this guy..

Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

So what is the consensus here? Heat sheilds on for scooping air or off so air is not trapped around motor while sitting in traffic?

Does wrapping the header pipe to keep heat in the pipe and increase exhaust gas velocity cause the motor to run hotter or have little effect on motor temp and just help rider temp? at 88 deg. I have seen 240 in stop and go creeping traffic. My ETMS was cutting in some times.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I think I've heard this guy in a Chrysler training video!!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Talk to the Hand

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

I was given a set of hip boots and referred to this guy when I complained about the heat problem, just before he left MOCO to work as a lobbyist for the Sierra Club.

He was bulls#*tin us about the motor control unit, it would take an inverse phase angle and inductive reactance coil coupled with a flux capacitor if the transformer was a Y configuration with a viarable impedence control mounted before the motor if was a universal type. Triac's, diac's or other semi conductor devices without a .0001% tolerance at 20 ampers would still make the whole device run like a Tri in downtown L.A. traffic on a 110 degree plus day.

In short it was not designed to run hot, global warming just makes it seem hotter and Al Gore keeps ragging about it or we would not even think about it, or have to take the heat shields off, if we just quit overthinking it and put your footpegs on the handle bars!

Last edited by coupe55; 04-22-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Heat source has moved