Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trikes, two wheels and hubby

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:10 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
I guess you could say it is my egoLOL! The problem is, I am a terrible back seat driver.....not good. Yup, I am a driving control freak!
When i get on the back, this is the jest of our trips
My better half is a terrible back seat driver herself. I sure can relate to your hubby if you are like her.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:14 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by carlo
Thank God he's OK. When he's ready he will go two to three or none thats up to him. Just don't hound him. Leave it up to him. It's not a man or guy thing. It's hard to say to yourself I can't do what I used to at any age. If it be Man or Woman. Try to relate.
I can relate to not being able to things that I use to do before my knee replacements. I have a very stubborn streak in me and I will try to do it anyway.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Joan, sorry to have just read about George and his mishap... I sure hope he is doing much better and how are you doing...?

Sounds like there are a number of things George will have to make a decision on... Yes, you already have the TriGlide, which you love riding and so does he... It'd really be hard for you to 'take the back seat', you are so used to riding your own bike...

My problem with us getting a new/different Harley was 'how in the world was I going to get on it'...? I'm short and having a motorcycle where the bag was attached to the sissy bar made it impossible for me to put one foot on the peg and throw the other leg onto the other side...

We went down on the Sporty twice (once it was in a parking lot in Maine) - we'd been riding this road with so many hills and then a traffic light which was red at almost each block... I could tell Mac was getting so tired on trying to hold the bike up; keep the brakes on then climb some more... That was a time I knew there was no way I wanted to ride my own bike...

It was Mac's final decision to get the TriGlide - he figured it would be safer for us and he was just a month shy of his 74th birthday when it came in - he knew it was time...

I certainly wish the best for the both of you and that he makes a decision that's best for the two of you...

BTW, ten years ago today Mac and I got married on the Sporty in Las Vegas - he didn't quite make the ten...

Old 04-19-2010, 12:07 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

MSocko3, George loves to ride my TG!! I wonder if I am more worried about him wanting to take over my baby, and banishing me to the back seat! It's like.....we already have the trike!! He may be stubborn, but he is very realistic and I can hear it now
You could tell him how neat it would be to have His & Hers Triglides, I've seen couples on Goldwing trikes.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Peggy, thanks!
I hope you were able to celebrate your 10th with Mac in your heart. You guys were so close and he is still there with you.
George was feeling a little better yesterday, so went to the airport and piddled around. But he was hurting so came home. Then went next door to our rental house and proceeded to aggravate the shoulder by trying to unscrew the washing machine hose for the "young" man that lives there! So our trip to the outer banks Bike Week has been cancelled.

Mike, if he were to do anything, he would trike his precious 06 Ultra Police Special. Heavens, it took 40 years to get him off his 66 Police FLH. So folks, that is what I am talking about.... Stubborn.

Last edited by Ironhorsepilot; 04-19-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

So folks, that is what I am talking about.... Stubborn.
He's not stubborn, he just knows what he wants and probably feels he is entitled to it. Seriously, he will come around and make the right decision.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:13 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Mike, if he were to do anything, he would trike his precious 06 Ultra Police Special. Heavens, it took 40 years to get him off his 66 Police FLH. So folks, that is what I am talking about.... Stubborn.
Nothing wrong with Triking the 06, I guess you just have to convince him of that. At one point I was looking at picking up a 2nd 06 Ultra and doing a trike kit on it, but then I changed my mind. I like my 06 Ultra, but then I also like my Triglide.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Peggy, thanks!
I hope you were able to celebrate your 10th with Mac in your heart. You guys were so close and he is still there with you.
George was feeling a little better yesterday, so went to the airport and piddled around. But he was hurting so came home. Then went next door to our rental house and proceeded to aggravate the shoulder by trying to unscrew the washing machine hose for the "young" man that lives there! So our trip to the outer banks Bike Week has been cancelled.

Be patient when he's ready he will make his decision. Don't upset him. He must feel bad as it is for dropping his bike and hurting. The worst thing a person can do is say I told you so. He's a grown man he knows his limitations deep inside. He just has to face them and make a decision. If I read your post right sounds like some one put a chain across a fence opening. That was usually open. Im thinking no orange paint on the chain or colored streamers. Very easy for anyone not to see the chain across the opening. Either riding a bike or driving a car. Nice trap for someone. That sounds like it's got nothing to do with age or eyesight.

Last edited by carlo; 04-19-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 PM
pork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesn't prove a thing

The best riders I ever saw on large bikes (Ultra or Gold Wing) were relatively small women, so a man doesn't prove a thing by riding a big bike, no matter how good he thinks he once was. Realizing that helped me decide right away not to continue trying to ride 2 up with my wife on the back of my Road Glide, which was a similar decision to the one your husband is facing. I didn't feel comfortable doing it, and since I'm not trying to prove anything, why keep it up? We are both happier riding solo now. I'm within months of your husband's age and I am way past worrying what someone else thinks about my choice of what I ride, or how well I ride it.

I keep checking with my wife to make sure she is enjoying our rides and thinks we are safe, because if she stops enjoying it, so will I. If Sue decides that I have lost the ability to be safe on 2 wheels, I would honor her judgment. This is a family hobby for us, so why would I do something that makes her worry? I would have no "pride problem" shifting to the front seat of her TriGlide (like I said, you don't prove anything by riding on 2 wheels), but I just don't care for the trike ride. To me, the ride is not "fluid" enough to enjoy, so if Sue starts worrying about me on 2 wheels, we will probably quit riding altogether. That's cool, we have too many hobbies anyway. She knows how I feel about all of this.

My point is that anyone who keeps doing something out of pride when his family thinks it has become a possibly unsafe practice has let things get a little out of proportion. A fairly innocent fall could easily take him out of being able to do a lot of things he enjoys with the people he loves.

I know this first hand from a recent injury that easily could have been fatal, while doing something even more stupid than riding a 2 wheeler in spite of age-diminished capability. That caused me to undertake some serious reflection on what is important in life.

You deserve a safe riding partner and a safe life partner as well. Your husband probably knows that.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 AM
10Glider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ya gotta be realistic

I'm going to hit 62 in a few days. Because of medical problems a few years ago, I realized I didn't want to be far from home, drop my Ultra, and not be able to pick the bike up again. So last year I sold my '05 Ultra and ordered a shiny new 2010 TG. We finally got some decent weather here after months of cold and rain, and I did about 140 miles with the local HOG group last Sunday. I was so glad I could still ride a Harley and hang with my friends. The TG has allowed me to do that. BTW, have only 475 miles on the odometer so far, getting about 30 MPG, feel the 6th gear works fine, and certainly do feel the heat on my right leg. Temperature was about 75 degrees for the ride. Neutral is tuff to find. The trunk doesn't leak. I get asked a lot of questions by cagers when I stop for gas.

Quick Reply: Trikes, two wheels and hubby