Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

triking a sportster

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
oldnewby
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default triking a sportster

i am looking for the drawbacks of triking a sporty. how is the ride... anything and everything.

ol newby

Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
1200 Trike
6th Gear

I just finished a trike kit on a 2004 1200R, this is my first HD/Sportster, and I put a couple hundred miles on it two wheeling before doing the kit. On my first ride of about 10 miles after the conversion and I hated it because it no longer handles anything like a bike. The next day I put around 50 miles on it and I think I'm going to like it. If you have ever driven a snowmobile it steers like one at slow speeds, you have to do all of the turning with the handle bars due to there is no leaning. When you hit a bump with only one of the rear tires it lifts that side of the trike creating slightly what I've heard called "wobble steer" never a feeling like diminished control only a new sensation. I also have heard most trikes have this condition.
These are only my opinions and I'm sure there are those out there with much more experience than me. As I stated I have less than 100 miles of riding experience since the kit. So anyone can chime in and correct what I've said or agree with it.

Attached Thumbnails triking a sportster-006.jpg   triking a sportster-009.jpg   triking a sportster-004.jpg   triking a sportster-002.jpg  
Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1200 Trike
I just finished a trike kit on a 2004 1200R, this is my first HD/Sportster, and I put a couple hundred miles on it two wheeling before doing the kit. On my first ride of about 10 miles after the conversion and I hated it because it no longer handles anything like a bike. The next day I put around 50 miles on it and I think I'm going to like it. If you have ever driven a snowmobile it steers like one at slow speeds, you have to do all of the turning with the handle bars due to there is no leaning. When you hit a bump with only one of the rear tires it lifts that side of the trike creating slightly what I've heard called "wobble steer" never a feeling like diminished control only a new sensation. I also have heard most trikes have this condition.
These are only my opinions and I'm sure there are those out there with much more experience than me. As I stated I have less than 100 miles of riding experience since the kit. So anyone can chime in and correct what I've said or agree with it.
Yep, agree 100%! Welcome to the world of trikes!!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trikes are all push/pull steering. You lean very little only to move your center of gravity towards the center of the mass when steering. It will take time and miles under you before you feel comfortable riding a trike. Once you do the ride of trike is very nice. If you ever rode a ATV 4 wheeler there are similar forces and effects when riding. Because of the wider stance and longer wheelbase of motorcycle trikes its not a extreme as the ATVs

Since Sportys have a shorter wheelbase it may be prudent to get a raked triple tree added to lengthen the rake which will make steering easier.

There are a few other dynamics that you have to learn and get use to riding a trike, The stance of it, how it reacts to road conditions, wind and the added weight for accelerating and stopping.

Trikes are stable on gravel roads, riding in rain. You dont have to put your feet down ( something you have to teach yourself) if you havent rode something with more then 2 wheels

Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i assume you had your own reasons for buying the bike that you did, as did we all. with that said, there is absolutelt nothing wrong with triking out a sporty. as with it's two-wheel counterpart, you wouldn't expect a sportster to handle long distance miles with the same comfort as an ultra clasic. the sportster is an awesome, quick and fun ride will be great for city driving and short hops, but won't be as comfortable on the highways as the almighty TG. my buddy (who also has one arm) triked his sporty and he kicks my *** everywhere we go.

i don't think you would have regrets at all about it.

grimm

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 PM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member

I like mine a lot. As been said, get a raked tree. I also changed to Progressive shocks and fork springs. Some wonder about the power,. Believe me, it's there (and if you do a little tweaking, well just hold on). Mine is pretty comfortable and long rides are really no problem. I am prejudiced but I say go for it.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:33 PM
elmo771
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife has a Sporty trike and I have ridden it a few times and it is a blast to ride, lots of power, It's just a pain to make turns. But we knew that when she bought it. We are waiting for our refund check to get the raked front end and longer forks, That should solve the problem.

Attached Thumbnails triking a sportster-trike6a.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Saddle123
Intermediate

Hi ALL. I to have a new motor trike kit put on my 09xl1200l sportster. I ride two up all the time. I have been working on Brake Dive and ride hight and Im on my second set of progressive springs. Im going to but the 3 inch spacers in and not cut them. Also im going back to HD S.Eagle heavy duty fork oil . I need to get rid of fork sagg. Other then this we love it. The Motor Trike gtx is a lot of money but worth it. It rides like a Caddi. Im also going to rake it in early spring. If anyone has to much fork sagg and brake dive call the tech at Progressive Spring and he will help you. Thanks and be safe..

Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 Frankestein Sportster Trike

We just finished building this Frankenstein kit. Only drove it about 3 miles before the weather went to hell. With the rake kit it seems like its going to be fine driving.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by oldnewby
i am looking for the drawbacks of triking a sporty. how is the ride... anything and everything.

ol newby
I converted my wifes trike a couple years ago with a Frankenstein kit, and also got the raked trees.
Along with street driving, I've run it down the dragstrip more than a few times, and ran a 8.80 to 9.0 in the 1/8th. It was predictable and handled nice. Great conversion kit.

Quick Reply: triking a sportster