Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission noise

My 2010 trike is making a noise, sounds like rocks rattling, on the right side of the transmission. When I squeeze the clutch lever the noise/sound stops. HD rep states that this sound/noise is normal. Does anyone have any info concerning this concern. The dealer is going to attempt to add a different trans fluid to help alleviate the noise.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No I don't have any sound like that from my 09 TG. Just clunk when I put it in first. And first and fifth gear wine which is normal for a 09 .

Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto what Carlo says.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
My 2010 trike is making a noise, sounds like rocks rattling, on the right side of the transmission. When I squeeze the clutch lever the noise/sound stops. HD rep states that this sound/noise is normal. Does anyone have any info concerning this concern. The dealer is going to attempt to add a different trans fluid to help alleviate the noise.
Check your muffler brackets. Our sound came from the left, but it turned out to be a loose bracket. When you engage the clutch, the vibration stops, so you don't hear it. Just a thought.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

The noise is definitely coming from the transmission. On the second visit to the dealer, the dealer thought it was also due to a loose heatshield bracket. Bracket tightened, noise still present. When the clutch is engaged the noise/rattle stops. HD states that the company has received similar complaints/inquiries and according to HD the sound is not a problem per se and it is normal. I guess abnormal noises constitues a well engineered piece of machinery.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

No rattle in the trans of my 2010 Triglide. If your dealer is looking to try a different fluid have them try Redline Shock Proof Heavy. I've been running that for several years now in my 06 Ultra and have started using in both mine and my dads Triglide.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Thanks for the oil suggestion. Hopefully with the change of trans oil it will help.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
The noise is definitely coming from the transmission. On the second visit to the dealer, the dealer thought it was also due to a loose heatshield bracket. Bracket tightened, noise still present. When the clutch is engaged the noise/rattle stops. HD states that the company has received similar complaints/inquiries and according to HD the sound is not a problem per se and it is normal. I guess abnormal noises constitues a well engineered piece of machinery.
Normal…all of these guys must have attended the Toyota school of denial; I’m so tired of every time I take my Harley into the dealership of hearing the phrase…”that’s normal” from form some service manger that looks like he isn’t even old enough to shave yet! It very insulting but I guess many owners buy into that mantra or the dealerships wouldn’t keep doing it.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:18 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

A representative from HD stated that the noise was normal not the dealer. The dealer's hands are tied on this one. The dealer won't tear into the trans because HD will not reimburse them for the warranty work and I am not going to pay for it, the bike is under warranty. I could go on and on about how pissed and let down I am about this problem, but I just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this problem.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
blade76
Cruiser

Our 2010 doesn't make the noise. Sorry that doesn't help you any!

Quick Reply: transmission noise