Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:59 PM
riggs
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my Tri in for 1000 mile check. The mechanic indicated that the auto chain adjuster is between the notches and will quiet down when it ratchets up. I did not notice the noise at first. The mechanic brought it to my attention. This guy is straight up good and I appreciated the heads up. Seems that the noise has disappeared. Hope this makes sense to you.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:30 PM
TN-Triker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheJimer
My transmission is just the opposite, the only time I have any difficulty finding neutral is when the trans is cold; seems like the warmer it gets, the easier it is to locate neutral. Of all of the Harleys I have owned, my TG is the easiest to locate neutral. I would never attempt to put it in neutral at a stop light on my other bikes, because it would take the entire light to find neutral, with the TG I always dump it into neutral at a light and my left hand likes it.
Why would anyone want to put their bike in "N" at a traffic light? If it became necessary to hit the throttle quickly, as when someone behind you fails to stop quick enough or stop at all, You would be SOL. IMO In first gear you at least can attempt to find an escape. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TN-Triker
Why would anyone want to put their bike in "N" at a traffic light? If it became necessary to hit the throttle quickly, as when someone behind you fails to stop quick enough or stop at all, You would be SOL. IMO In first gear you at least can attempt to find an escape. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
You have a good point but you also have to consider there are folks who can't hold the clutch for long periods of time due to medical reasons. There's been times I have put my bike or trike in neutral because my left hand needs a break due to the nerve problems I have in both my hands.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
You have a good point but you also have to consider there are folks who can't hold the clutch for long periods of time due to medical reasons. There's been times I have put my bike or trike in neutral because my left hand needs a break due to the nerve problems I have in both my hands.
Likewise here. With a bit of arthritis in both hands, I refuse to let it keep me from riding. Putting it in neutral at long lights is a relief. With a heavy gear oil in the tranny, it's easier to get into neutral.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious if the OP ever found out what was causing his tranny rattle when hot?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious if the OP ever found out what was causing his tranny rattle when hot?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Busted Wrist

Originally Posted by msocko3

We have had a couple bikers killed in turn lanes here over the last couple years! I always like to keep the bike/trike in first gear but crushed a left wrist when I wiped my leg out in an 03 crash. It is getting harder to hold that cluth in at long lights.

I been looking at the auto clutch, has anyone tried this. You shift just like a regular bike/trike after you pull out in first but at idle you do not have to hold the clutch in. Centrifical clutch, once you pick your RPM up off idle the clutch automatically engages, then you use the clutch to shift as you normally would.

I had to make the transition to trike to keep in the saddle may have to look into the auto clutch. I was wondering who sold the best unit!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default I agree

Originally Posted by TN-Triker

have always had the habit of keeping it in first gear and keeping an eye on that rear view mirror, but it is getting harder every year to hold that clutch in at long lights. We had a biker killed here last year in a turn lane at a light, never knew what hit him! I am thinking about the auto clutch, was wondering how quick those things are off idle. That will end the throttle blipping at lights...lol.. but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with one of them.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Auto Chain Adjuster?

Originally Posted by RAP
Tech told him it was between notches? Would tighten up eventually? New one on me but he said it did and the noise went away!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:56 PM
miken488
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 Ultra Limited with 3000 miles and have the exact same problem when hot and the clutch is released, sounds like gravel rolling around in a cement mixer. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of what causes this noise?

Quick Reply: transmission noise