Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Roger, whatever you do get the transmission issue 100% solved to your satisfaction before you toss in a tuner or any other modifications, it could muddy the waters with your present problems.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM
PopDukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glyder,

Just a point on the brakes. Have finally realized the issue is with the parking brake. We have tested without the calipers removed and all the squeaking went away. I did install PM brakes on the rear and it still squeaked and therefore just tried this troubleshooting procedure. I am permanently removing the parking brakes and lever once I get the PM rims.

As engine heat is concerned, Jim is right and since I changed to RL 20/60 and the Ultra Cooler, all my internal oil temp issues are gone. I do have the Stage 1 A/C and V&H slash cuts. The external heat continues and will follow some of Jim's and others advise to reduce the external heat.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

The MOCO authorized the work on the transmission the last time I took the Trike in, so I don't think or that is hope there will not be a problem getting the MOCO to possibly replace the transmission. I spoke to the dealer today and asked why a rep would have to take a look at the trike when the MOCO previously ok'd the work previously over the phone. The dealer didn't have an answer other than the rep wanted to look at the trike. The rep was supposed to show up yesterday and then today and both times were a no show, go figure. I am trying to be patient, but as the saying goes "my patience is running thin". As for the add on goodies, I will definitely wait until the transmission issue is resolved and besides I can't add any goodies to the trike while it's at the dealer. As always, thanks for the advice and reccomendations. I have the parts for the stage 1 upgrade sitting in boxes in the garage with the exception of the PCV and possibly a Jagg oil cooler to piggy-back on the HD cooler.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:05 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
and possibly a Jagg oil cooler to piggy-back on the HD cooler.
I removed the HD cooler and replaced it with the 10 row Jagg cooler.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Two reps from the MOCO came into town yesterday evening and rode the trike. They are according to the dealer, to write a report detailing their findings. We will see what happens or what their findings are concerning the transmission issues. Nothing like having your wheels in the shop during riding season.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two reps from the MOCO came into town yesterday evening and rode the trike. They are according to the dealer, to write a report detailing their findings. We will see what happens or what their findings are concerning the transmission issues. Nothing like having your wheels in the shop during riding season.
It took two Harley reps to evaluate the problem with your bike but it sounds like neither one of them has the authority to authorize the repairs and they have to write a report to a superior who may or may not have the authority to make a decision.

What a system; maybe if MOCO eliminated some of the layers of its bureaucracy and restored the concept of customer service, they could once again be profitable.

Good luck Roger!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 PM
mello10
Stage I

Roger did you get the report back yet with their findings.....I have a 2010 CVO ultra with the same issue and Harley is saying that this is normal..... after replacing two bearings in the transmission. The bike only has 900 miles...ridiculous

Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I'd be pretty pissed by now if I was you with all the screwing around their doing.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

I posted earlier this evening and apparently it did not go through, oh well. Here is the situation at this point. I spoke to the service manager at the dealer and the manager stated that the reps were reporting that the noise was normal. However, and get this, they stated that the noise was normal valve train noise. How in the heck they got valve train noise from transmission noise is beyond me. I am not a rocket scientist by any stretch of the imagination, but I know the difference between noises coming from a trans as opposed to noises coming from the valve train. I never got the chance to meet and or talk to the reps to point out exactly where the noise was coming from and also how I could stop the noise by pulling in the clutch lever and make the noise audible by releasing the clutch lever. Talk about customer service. The dealer advised me to call the MOCO and discuss the situation with them once again, merry go round hell. If the MOCO is considering that the noise is normal, I am at my wits end how they are going to explain the difficulty that I am also experiencing having with putting the trike in first gear when the trike is hot. I will call the MOCO tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:18 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted earlier this evening and apparently it did not go through, oh well. Here is the situation at this point. I spoke to the service manager at the dealer and the manager stated that the reps were reporting that the noise was normal. However, and get this, they stated that the noise was normal valve train noise. How in the heck they got valve train noise from transmission noise is beyond me. I am not a rocket scientist by any stretch of the imagination, but I know the difference between noises coming from a trans as opposed to noises coming from the valve train. I never got the chance to meet and or talk to the reps to point out exactly where the noise was coming from and also how I could stop the noise by pulling in the clutch lever and make the noise audible by releasing the clutch lever. Talk about customer service. The dealer advised me to call the MOCO and discuss the situation with them once again, merry go round hell. If the MOCO is considering that the noise is normal, I am at my wits end how they are going to explain the difficulty that I am also experiencing having with putting the trike in first gear when the trike is hot. I will call the MOCO tomorrow and see what happens.
Roger, when you wrote that the two reps had to write a report, I was afraid that something like this would happen. I would certainly give customer service an ear full and demand that someone that knows what they are doing look at this. I’m not sure if Texas has a Lemon Law and/or if motorcycles are included but that may be a card you could play with customer service.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: transmission noise