Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim, me and the future wife always enjoy interesting rides off the beaten path. Will do on the way to Sedona. Rob, the sound on my transmission is definitely coming from the right side of the transmission. The sound is very noticeable. Clutch was adjusted, fluid changed, gear set changed and bike still has the transmission noise. I would suggest you take your bike to a different dealer and make a point to show them exactly how and where the sound is coming from and don't let them tell you any different. You are the one that rides the bike daily and you know where the sound is coming from. I was told by Harley that the noise was "normal" and I tried to live with it, but it was just too loud to ignore. This was after the fluid was changed to Redline. Reluctantly I called Harley again thinking their response was going to be the same old normal sounds line but they told me to take the bike back in again and this was before the gear set was worked on. Well the gear set fix didn't work and I called Harley and they told me to take it back again. Unfortunately or fortunately it is up to Harley whether the bike is fixed under warranty not the dealer. I am lucky in that the dealer is listening to me and is trying to work with me to solve this problem. Call Harley and I would suggest to have a calm demeanor and explain to them what is going on. It has worked for me so far. My 2008 Electra Glide Classic that I traded in did not have the noise and I am assuming that the transmissions are similar.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Roger,
The town of Yarnell and Yarnell Hill (some refer to it as Yarnell Peak) is of off St.Rt. 89. If you continue north on 89 to St. Rt. 89A, you will go through Jerome, an old mining town with buildings built into the side of a hill and a good look of what Arizona was like in the early 1900's. Continue north on 89A and you end up in Sedona, AZ. Not the fastest but certainly a very scenic route to Sedona, one of those trips that everyone should do once.
Roger,
Jim is correct on all the road numbers and other info. There is a great little coffee/pastry shop in Yarnell on the right side of the road in the middle of Yarnell. They have great sweet rolls in the morning. If you are heading for Sedona, this would be a great way to go. Remember you are at some altitude up around Yarnell/Prescott/Sedona. I don't know when you plan on being there but right now you will most likely need warm riding clothes. I have been up there a couple of times this time of year and it can get cold on a motorcycle.
Enjoy the ride!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates on this noise with the clutch out, in neutral when hot? Mine does the exact same thing, but only when hot. Pull clutch in noise is gone. Been searching and have had heard about this on many 2010s, but no one can seem to pin it down.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I commented about my TG tranny being the same way when hot. Dumped some heavy synthetic gear oil in it to subdue the noise. I just don't pay any attention to it anymore. H-D says there is nothing wrong with the transmission so I aint worryin until it breaks. IMHO, I think this 6-speed is just a bad design!

Old 05-05-2010, 05:55 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
I commented about my TG tranny being the same way when hot. Dumped some heavy synthetic gear oil in it to subdue the noise. I just don't pay any attention to it anymore. H-D says there is nothing wrong with the transmission so I aint worryin until it breaks. IMHO, I think this 6-speed is just a bad design!
+1 on the 6 speed Boom

Old 05-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

BTW, we haven't heard from Roger in a while. I wonder how he made out on his tranny rebuild?

Speaking of wondering, I wonder if the Baker 6-speed would be a direct replacement on the TG?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Glyder
Road Captain

The tranny is one of my biggest complaints on our TriGlide...it clunks through every gear...and I mean loud....ecspecialy once its hot and 5th aint getting any quiter with age like the 07 did....its sounds like a Turbo kickin in when you hit it. I had it in the shop b&%#$in again but I get the theres nothing wrong deal so we just ride the snot out of it....I aint gonna baby it..if its gonna crap out ext. warranty will cover it. My 07 EG Classic shifts like butter and is quiet as a mouse...my 5th gear whine dissapeared long ago with miles.
One of my ridin buddys got so frustrated with his 09 Ultra he put a Baker 7 speed in it...
talk about night and day...lot of dough though.
Dont get me started on the rear brakes...

Last edited by Glyder; 05-05-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys, I haven't forgotten about everybody and the transmission issue. I dropped off the trike at the dealer on saturday 5-8-10 and went to the dealer yesterday to check on the trike. The dealer told me that a district rep from Harley was coming in to take a look at the trike. The trans is still making the rattleing noise and after having the gear set per the dealer replaced. I do not know what they will do to the trans next. I hope the Harley rep decides in my favor. On a side note, the bike has been running hot as hell. The EITMS kicks in pretty darn quick after riding for just a few minutes. Looking at installing a PCV with Autotune, to try to attack the heat demon, any suggestions comments on trans and or PCV would be greatly appreciated. I have already replaced the header with the fuel moto header.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Roger, good luck with the trans. Let us know if you get the PC V w/Autotune and how it works out. I may consider the Autotune in use with my PC V so I can utilize the O2 sensors and get some more fuel into that beast. I probably shoulda bought the TTS in the beginning. Next winter it looks like an SE255 cam addition and maybe a bigger oil cooler.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
Hello guys, I haven't forgotten about everybody and the transmission issue. I dropped off the trike at the dealer on saturday 5-8-10 and went to the dealer yesterday to check on the trike. The dealer told me that a district rep from Harley was coming in to take a look at the trike. The trans is still making the rattleing noise and after having the gear set per the dealer replaced. I do not know what they will do to the trans next. I hope the Harley rep decides in my favor. On a side note, the bike has been running hot as hell. The EITMS kicks in pretty darn quick after riding for just a few minutes. Looking at installing a PCV with Autotune, to try to attack the heat demon, any suggestions comments on trans and or PCV would be greatly appreciated. I have already replaced the header with the fuel moto header.
Roger; I hate to be a pessimist but I wouldn’t bet big money on the Harley rep deciding in your favor; I hope for your sake I’m wrong!

Seeing that you already replaced the head pipe, some other heat reduction tools are a tuner (PC-V was my choice), Stage 1 A/C, replace stock mufflers, larger oil cooler and cooler fan (Jagg 10 row cooler with a Big Sky fan or possibly an Ultra Cool Unit) a Parade Cylinder Fan, 20W60 Synthetic Oil, a Cam change (Wood TW6-6 was my choice).

Those are some of the items that will reduce your oil temps and cool down your engine some. Here are some items you may want to consider to help keep you a little more comfortable (cooler):
Foot pegs, Floor Board Extension Kit, Head Pipe Rap (rear vertical section) and RJS Heat Deflectors.

I have done all the mods that I suggested above and have managed to reduce my engine oil temp form 300* on a 120* day to under 230* on a 100* day; we have not had any 120* days yet this year to do an apple to apple comparison. People that operate in cooler climates may be able to get away with less modifications but I suspect with you living in San Antonio, you will probably have to go the full nine yards too.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Quick Reply: transmission noise