Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 AM
lawrend
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the Red Line Shock Proof as well, but when the bike gets good and hot the noise is very audible. I installed an oil cooler which has helped quite a bit with the engine/trans temp, this inturn has helped with the noise, you almost have to be listening for it on the left side of the bike.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lawrend
I am running the Red Line Shock Proof as well, but when the bike gets good and hot the noise is very audible. I installed an oil cooler which has helped quite a bit with the engine/trans temp, this inturn has helped with the noise, you almost have to be listening for it on the left side of the bike.
Yeah, mine is back when hot but not as intense. I'm going to ride and not worry about it!

Old 04-04-2010, 04:33 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Hey guys, didn't want yall, yes I'm from Texas, to think I had forgotten to post on the transmission noise. The bike should be out of the shop and ready to go tomorrow, monday, apparently the mechanic found a problem with either the mainshaft or the gears not sure which to be certain. When I pick up the bike and know the exact part that was replaced, I will post on the site. The part that was replaced had to be ordered from HD, thus the long time frame from my last posting. FYI, initially I was told the noise coming from the trans was normal according to HD and that nothing else could/would be done. Dealer installed Red Line per HD and noise still persisted. I called HD a few days later and was told to take the bike back to the dealer after being told previously that nothing else would be done for the bike. Mechanic tore into the trans and found a problem. That in a nutshell is the background info. If anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 AM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

The never ending saga continues. I picked up the trike this morning and lo and behold my friend, the transmission noise, is still with me. The dealer changed out the gear set in the transmission. I was hoping that this would be the fix that would stop the transmission noise but apparently my hopes were not to be fulfilled. Those who dine on hope, die of starvation. I called the dealer and the dealer advised me to once again call HD, which I did, HD advised me to return the trike back to the dealer to once again address the problem. As I stated previously, the noise is very obvious when the trans is in neuteral and stops when the clutch lever is pulled in. Once the clutch lever is slowly released the noise starts and is very noticeable. The noise can be heard from a distance from the trike. On my way to the Arizona Bike Rally next week and after the rally I will be taking the bike to the dealer. Does anybody know of any great roads or things to do see in Arizona? Will keep everyone posted on this ongoing transmission saga.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
The never ending saga continues. I picked up the trike this morning and lo and behold my friend, the transmission noise, is still with me. The dealer changed out the gear set in the transmission. I was hoping that this would be the fix that would stop the transmission noise but apparently my hopes were not to be fulfilled. Those who dine on hope, die of starvation. I called the dealer and the dealer advised me to once again call HD, which I did, HD advised me to return the trike back to the dealer to once again address the problem. As I stated previously, the noise is very obvious when the trans is in neuteral and stops when the clutch lever is pulled in. Once the clutch lever is slowly released the noise starts and is very noticeable. The noise can be heard from a distance from the trike. On my way to the Arizona Bike Rally next week and after the rally I will be taking the bike to the dealer. Does anybody know of any great roads or things to do see in Arizona? Will keep everyone posted on this ongoing transmission saga.
Roger; coming up from San Antonio, you may want to stop off in Tucson; there are some pretty fascinating sights in and around “Arizona’s Second City”. Mount Lemon, Sabino Canyon and Saguaro National Forest (east and west) are all super rides and are popular with bikers! The Triton Missile Museum and, the Desert Museum are interesting attractions.

And of course, up at the north end of the state there is this little thing called the Grand Canyon; if you never saw it…its not too shabby.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Thanks Jim for the suggestions. I will try to visit some of the sites that you listed. The future wife wants to visit Sedonda for sure.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger,
Another great ride just outside of Phoenix is to go up through Wickenburg to Yarnell Peak and across over to Prescott and back to Phoenix. The Yarnell peak road is an hour of one twisty after another. I've ridden it twice and each time is great.

The ride down to Taco Flats is also a great trip. Good place to eat in Taco Flats.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

kentuckydave, is Yarnell peak road a state highway? If so what is the highway number, if not I will look for it under Yarnell peak road. Also, like an idiot i spelled Sedona wrong on a previous reply. Oh well, I am just smart enough to know how dumb i am. Heard that phrase somewhere, sometimes it fits. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:31 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
kentuckydave, is Yarnell peak road a state highway? If so what is the highway number, if not I will look for it under Yarnell peak road. Also, like an idiot i spelled Sedona wrong on a previous reply. Oh well, I am just smart enough to know how dumb i am. Heard that phrase somewhere, sometimes it fits. Thanks for the info.
Roger,
The town of Yarnell and Yarnell Hill (some refer to it as Yarnell Peak) is of off St.Rt. 89. If you continue north on 89 to St. Rt. 89A, you will go through Jerome, an old mining town with buildings built into the side of a hill and a good look of what Arizona was like in the early 1900's. Continue north on 89A and you end up in Sedona, AZ. Not the fastest but certainly a very scenic route to Sedona, one of those trips that everyone should do once.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2010 FLHTCU has the rocks in the box sound... same thing... engage clutch and it stops. let clutch out and it starts up again.

replaced trans fluid with shockproof heavy.
still have the noise.

it really sounds like it comes from the very front end of the primary.
dealer wrote on two work orders... normal sounds.

i am going to have a few others listen to it. i am also going to switch primary fluids this week, and check the tension on the chain.

i'll try to capture the sound with the video cam... it is a bit unsettling for a 20,000 scoot.

like others have said.. document the problem, and ride it hard.

Quick Reply: transmission noise