Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:23 AM
10Glider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '10 Triglide doesn't make weird tranny noises, but it is very hard to find neutral. I've been told this will improve with miles, hope so.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:58 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
That's perfectly understandable! However, we women need something more????

Barb, are we the only women on here now? Used to be Peggy and a lady with the blue triglide, I think it was "tririder" It takes a woman to lighten things up a little.
I miss Peggy so much with their reports on their adventures. I need an adventure!!!!!!
Not to hijack this thread. But haven't heard from Peggy PM ed her went on her site Know updates on Mac on there site. It don't read good. Miss them also. there in my thoughts and prayers. Boy were they a insperation with the trip they took. Lots of up dates on there TG. Leaking trunk there cloths getting wet. They put 25K on there 09 TG in a year. Life ain't fair some times. Yes I to miss her Threads and Posts. GOD BLESS THEM.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:59 AM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Here we go again, the transmission noise is back with a vengeance. Got the trike back from the dealer and rode it for 3-4 hours and noticed that the noise/rattle was louder than before. Dealer had changed out the trans oil with redline to no avail. I called HD and the rep at HD told me to take the trike back to the dealer for repair. Noise occurs when clutch is not engaged, however when clutch is engaged half way the noise is very noticeable/loud. Called dealer and told them about the problem being worse and dealer stated that probably clutch is bad. Bike will go in on monday, hopefully it gets fixed.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:01 AM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

One more thing, finding neutral has gotten more difficult.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us informed on this. I'm getting self-conscious and starting to hear similar noises from the right side transmission area. Also goes away with engaging clutch.
Maybe its because today was the warmest day of the year at home and the dealer synthetic in the trans is running thinner?? Time to find some Heavy Redline Shockproof!

Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Will do, Boom. As i stated on my last post the dealer put in Redline trans oil and the noise/rattle has gotten worse. I dont think it is due to the oil, just whatever problem that existed before the oil change. Maybe Redline oil will work for you. I'm wondering if due to the weight of the trike that maybe the transmission should have been built with heavy duty SE trans parts? Just a thought.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default False alarm here...

I went out to the garage this morning, adjusted the clutch cable to spec, and topped off the trans oil with last of my Redline--it was over a cup low since I'd previous drained it for a clutch cable installation. Fired it up and no rattle. Squeezed the clutch and no change in sound. I'll check it later today after a long ride and the engine's hot.
I get more nervous about little things with this trike since I've got close to $40K invested (as I'm sure others have also!).

Roger, still would like to hear your outcome though.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,042 Likes on 1,105 Posts

A riding buddy had a similar "sound" on an 07 Heritage. Dealer thought it was the clutch. Turned out to be the main tranny outlet shaft was out of tolerance and wobbling. Signs of the outer bearing heat damage was a dead give away when the clutch and drive gear were removed but he had 15K miles on his. Your run out can be checked when they pull the clutch pack.

Cure was to rebuild the tranny with a new main shaft and bearings.

Not saying this is your problem but it is one case that I know of that gave a similar sound. Hope your issue is an easier fix.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 PM
lawrend
2nd Gear

I have the same issue with my 2010 FLHX, when hot I have a loud rattling from the right side of the trans. Dealer replaced the clutch hub bearing at the 1K service which did not fix it. I took it back at 2K and they kept the bike for the morning and told me it was "normal" and if it bothered me I could switch to a heavier lube. Well I too tried the Redline Shock Proof which did make it a bit quieter but the noise is still there. I plan on taking it to another dealer this week. Please let me know what happens with yours.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

I rode the bike today and noticed that the when the bike is cold/warm the noise is not present, however once I ride it for awhile and the bike heats up the rattle starts and finding neutral is a pain in the butt. Plus I am running the fuelmoto pipe, k&n ac and a fuelpak, so the bike is not getting that hot as before. Yet, the rattle is still there. I don't think that the problem is with the clutch due to the fact that the sound is coming from the right side of the trans instead of left side where the clutch is. My money is on the condition that Mr. Wizard stated in his post. I will make it a point to tell the dealer what Mr. Wizard stated, however you know how it is telling the dealer what to do. I'm not a bike mechanic, but I know an abnormal noise when I hear one. You are right Boom, we do have alot invested in these bikes.

Quick Reply: transmission noise