Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

10 Blade Jagg oil cooler for 10 Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:22 PM
rearnold
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Blade Jagg oil cooler for 10 Tri Glide

Those that have install this cooler, did you also go with the oil automatic thermostatic and what kind of AZ fan did you put on your TRI ? Also where did you buy it?

Bob

Old 03-06-2010, 06:39 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rearnold
Those that have install this cooler, did you also go with the oil automatic thermostatic and what kind of AZ fan did you put on your TRI ? Also where did you buy it?

Bob
Bob;
No I choose not to go with the automatic thermostat and I tied my both my Big Sky Oil Cooler Fan and my LeNale Parade Fan into my accessory switch. You can order the cooler fan direct from Big Sky’s web-site.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:42 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10 Row Jagg

Just switched the cooler's out, stayed with the Harley Thermostat. I got the oil cooler fan kit off ebay! It had the acc. plug plus and extra female acc. plug to plug the Lanale fan into. I made a bracket to move the oil filter out for the two fans in the kit and had them fixed together for stability! Mounting them behind the cooler pulls the cooler air from the front wheel side of the cooler! I went ahead and moved the oil cooler up a bit to get it out of the line of fire from anything coming off that front tire!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since Im building a 117 for my trike and have down time, I found a 16 row oil cooler on Amazon that Im gonna make a custom bottom mount for>> http://www.amazon.com/Earls-21610ERL...=pd_sbs_auto_4

I measured the factory HD oil cooler and this one is only 1/2" longer width wise but is 1 1/4" taller and has 16 rows. This should help alot with the heat the new bigger engine will generate

Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looks Good

At less than half the price of a 10 row Jagg and more cooling that looks like a good deal.

Will be interested to hear how it works out! The Harley oil pump ain't much for pressure, I am wondering if it will be free flowing enough and not cause an oil pressure drop! If you don't lose any oil pressure that is far and above the best deal on oil cooler's I've seen, Pricewise!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
At less than half the price of a 10 row Jagg and more cooling that looks like a good deal.

Will be interested to hear how it works out! The Harley oil pump ain't much for pressure, I am wondering if it will be free flowing enough and not cause an oil pressure drop! If you don't lose any oil pressure that is far and above the best deal on oil cooler's I've seen, Pricewise!
He should probably install the Baisley Spring.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Since Im building a 117 for my trike and have down time, I found a 16 row oil cooler on Amazon that Im gonna make a custom bottom mount for>> http://www.amazon.com/Earls-21610ERL...=pd_sbs_auto_4

I measured the factory HD oil cooler and this one is only 1/2" longer width wise but is 1 1/4" taller and has 16 rows. This should help alot with the heat the new bigger engine will generate
FLTR, please keep us posted on how this 16 row oil cooler works out for you and if you had to reinvent the wheel to install it.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Unhappy

Originally Posted by TheJimer
FLTR, please keep us posted on how this 16 row oil cooler works out for you and if you had to reinvent the wheel to install it.
It will be 4-6 weeks before I can begin to answer these questions.

I just removed the lower engine case tonight and will be 4-6 weeks till I get the lower half of my motor back to complete the rebuild and install it. I hope to be dropping off the lower end this Saturday @ Tmans in NC if I get my Axtell 117" cylinders & pistons and the new Screamin Eagle Lefty bearing for the right case Im now waiting for.

Im worried about the crank and hes gonna tell me the crank is shot and I will have to replace it. But if so, then everyting but my heads ( already ported and polished) and engine case will have been replaced for internal parts

Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

I recieved the earls 16 row oil and its huge!!! From the looks of it it would hold a extra quart of oil in it. I am returing it and I ordered the 10 row.

I learned a few things about it from my observation and thought I would pass it on....

The unit looks very well made. Its made from aircraft aluminum and very light. It should dissapate heat quickly

I think its as strong as the Jagg coolers to resist rock damage.

The fined cooling surface from front to back ( Thick ) has almost twice the area for cooling.

Demension wise compared to the stock 7 row Harley touring oil cooler the earls 10 row Im getting now is only 1/4" wider and 1/4" taller.

Another thing I learned from looking at the 16 row Im changing. If you order one get the 6N not the 8N or higher numbered one. It has to do with the side tube diameter inlet and outlet. Higher the number the bigger it is. I got the 16 row 8N and was amazed at that size.....lol

The only other thing I know to tell you right now is, the cooler is British made so the adapters needed you will have to get is a BSP ( British Standard Pipe ) to the American NPT ( National Pipe Thread ) to make it work.

Im looking forward to installing this cooler when I get my engine installed and Im riding again. I think it will be what is needed to help with keeping the engine oil temps down

More to come soon

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 03-13-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I recieved the earls 16 row oil and its huge!!! From the looks of it it would hold a extra quart of oil in it. I am returing it and I ordered the 10 row.

I learned a few things about it from my observation and thought I would pass it on....

The unit looks very well made. Its made from aircraft aluminum and very light. It should dissapate heat quickly

I think its as strong as the Jagg coolers to resist rock damage.

The fined cooling surface from front to back ( Thick ) has almost twice the area for cooling.

Demension wise compared to the stock 7 row Harley touring oil cooler the earls 10 row Im getting now is only 1/4" wider and 1/4" taller.

Another thing I learned from looking at the 16 row Im changing. If you order one get the 6N not the 8N or higher numbered one. It has to do with the side tube diameter inlet and outlet. Higher the number the bigger it is. I got the 16 row 8N and was amazed at that size.....lol

The only other thing I know to tell you right now is, the cooler is British made so the adapters needed you will have to get is a BSP ( British Standard Pipe ) to the American NPT ( National Pipe Thread ) to make it work.

Im looking forward to installing this cooler when I get my engine installed and Im riding again. I think it will be what is needed to help with keeping the engine oil temps down

More to come soon
FLTR, thanks for the heads up! Did you look at the UltraCoolFlunit www.ultracoolfl.com ; it is a 17 row oil cooler with a built in fan and designed to fit all FLH models.

Quick Reply: 10 Blade Jagg oil cooler for 10 Tri Glide