Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

10 Blade Jagg oil cooler for 10 Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ultra Cool

Originally Posted by PopDukes
You Guys are great. Learning allot from you all!

Will let you know what the dealer had to do with the Ultra once installed at the end of this month.

I do know they will need to bore another whole for the new oil temp gauge I just installed in replace of the air temp gauge on the fairing. Understand the Ultra uses that connection!
The port or hole where the Ultra goes and the oil temperature switch is located now is where you use a scavenger if you are concerned about leaving that dirty quart of oil in on an oil change. I can pull the oil temp sending unit fairly quick and still use the scavenger. I am hoping my 10 row works out for me. I would not want to tie up the port where the Ultra has to be installed. If it can be uncoupled fairly easy it may not be a problem for those of us who scavenge!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:24 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I would not want to tie up the port where the Ultra has to be installed. If it can be uncoupled fairly easy it may not be a problem for those of us who scavenge!
I must have missed something in the install instructions..... Now I see it. When you click on install instruction they take you to the instructions for the FL-1 which doesn't have a thermal switch. I'd install it and hook the fan up to a switched source that I could turn on and off.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 AM
coupe55
Club Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
I must have missed something in the install instructions..... Now I see it. When you click on install instruction they take you to the instructions for the FL-1 which doesn't have a thermal switch. I'd install it and hook the fan up to a switched source that I could turn on and off.
I have not looked at it yet but the allen/hex plug beside the oil drain "if" that is where it plumbs in would be inconvienient for me as I use a scavenger when I change the oil. Is there another way to get that last quart of dirty oil out aside from using a scavenger? I used to start the engine for a few seconds and pump out the residual oil but that makes me nervous about engine damage. I believe I am overthinking it again! Probably would be just as easy to unhook the Ultra Cooler line and still use that port to scavenge, it is not like you would have to pull it everyday!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:16 AM
PopDukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Guys. WIll need to investigate further, but still intend to install the Ultra anyway. Hope I'm making the right move?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default The Right Cooler

Originally Posted by PopDukes
Thanks, Guys. WIll need to investigate further, but still intend to install the Ultra anyway. Hope I'm making the right move?

You will be fine, I would have bought that cooler instead of the Jagg 10 it it had been avalilable! Let us know how it effects your oil pressure also. If you got to go with an extra cooling capacity unit why not go with the best, the fan is a more bullit proof unit and it cools the entire area of the cooler. This looks like the ultimate cooler, over the counter. I am sure it will work out just fine.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:22 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I have not looked at it yet but the allen/hex plug beside the oil drain "if" that is where it plumbs in would be inconvienient for me as I use a scavenger when I change the oil. Is there another way to get that last quart of dirty oil out aside from using a scavenger? I used to start the engine for a few seconds and pump out the residual oil but that makes me nervous about engine damage. I believe I am overthinking it again! Probably would be just as easy to unhook the Ultra Cooler line and still use that port to scavenge, it is not like you would have to pull it everyday!
To tell you the truth I don't worry about using a scavenger. Sure there is going to be about a quarter quart in the cooler and maybe a quarter quart more total laying around in the engine, just never bothered with it. I ride the the bike or trike until the oil is warm and then head back to the garage. I then let it sit an idle a couple minutes since its a dry sump system and I want it to get that little bit that may be in the sump back to the pan. I then pull the drain plug and let her rip. Unless you flush the entire system with fresh oil and drain it your always going to have some old oil laying around.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:20 AM
PopDukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again. Cooler arrived today. Unable to install myself. Will have dealer install Friday or Saturday. Keep you posted!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:12 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recieved my 10 row Earls oil cooler today. Since my engine is out and I have time I worked on mounting the cooler. I took some pictures to show the side by side comparrison. Its the same length and height as the stock 7 row touring oil cooler.
The Earls oil cooler looks like it holds almost twice the amount of oil then the stock 7 row. The tubulators are 50% larger in diameter and as you can see in the picture and the cooler is thicker. In one picture you can see how small the oil ports are for the stock 7 row oil cooler. I guess this is for oil pressure control? Seems to restrictive to be effective

After setting the oil cooler several different ways, Im going to bolt the Earls oil to the mounting plate for the stock oil cooler. I did rasie the height of the voltage regulator to give me enough clearance to install one small moisture resistant fan behind the cooler. I have the accessories switch housing mounted to my handlebar with a powered on and off switch to control the fan.

Heres the pictures

Forgot to add, the fitting that screws into the Earls oil cooler has a O-ring. I like this because it will allow me to remove the cooler and pour the dirty oil out of it and fill it with clean oil while Im waiting on the oil pan to drain.

More picture to come in a few days

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 03-20-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anyone gets one of the Ultracool oil coolers, how about taking some up close pictures of the oil cooler. I want to see how big the actual oil cooler really is without the fan attached to it. From the website pictures it doesnt look to be very big

Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
If anyone gets one of the Ultracool oil coolers, how about taking some up close pictures of the oil cooler. I want to see how big the actual oil cooler really is without the fan attached to it. From the website pictures it doesnt look to be very big
FLTR;
That Earls looks like one heavy duty oil cooler and your are correct; the Ultra Cooler doesn't look very large in the pictures but yet they claim it is a 17 row cooler!

Quick Reply: 10 Blade Jagg oil cooler for 10 Tri Glide