Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Bought a Roll-A-Home Pop-up Motorcycle Camper Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 PM
David R
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlaJim
Nice. Do you know what the weight is?
Sorry for the late reply. With the slide out bed I think it weighs in at #340lbs. Sounds like a lot but not really. The harley side car weighs about the same plus add the weight of the passenger.

Once I start using it, I will post some thoughts on it...

Last edited by David R; 03-18-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 AM
rstamp
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wanting to no how the roll a home handles on a 2 wheeler ultra classic H-D ? i here people talking about the weight .. looking for info befor i buy a roll a home . is it to heavy for for my bike ??? Thank to all !!!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:35 PM
David R
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rstamp
I am wanting to no how the roll a home handles on a 2 wheeler ultra classic H-D ? i here people talking about the weight .. looking for info befor i buy a roll a home . is it to heavy for for my bike ??? Thank to all !!!
I did learn a lot about towing this trailer on this trip. This was my shakedown trip. I picked this trailer up a few months ago and only took a few short test rides with it after installing the hitch.

This ride was 160 miles each way. I did not measure the tongue weight before this trip. I did meaure the tongue weight after I installed the hitch with the trailer was empty. It was around 50 lbs. For this trip I made sure I distributed the weight evenly along the trailer axle and would see what happened. It worked out fine.

The hitch is a MCHitch which I bought from the original trailer owner. It worked fine and was very easy to install. I also bought the wiring harness from the original owner and it was very easy to install too. It has the isolator componet which I thought would be worth the extra money.

What I learned riding with the trailer.

1. The steering seemed light. My guess is that my tongue weight may have been too heavy or that my rear shocks were not up to a good pressure. I will check both before my next trip.

1. Since the trailer has no brakes it took longer to stop. This is a "no brainer" but something you need to think about on the road. My front brake now squeals when when I stop. Time for new brakes.

2. Corners can be treacherous. I entered a freeway on-ramp while accelerating to 60/65 mph to beat the car behind me. To corner I used the push the handlebar in the direction of the corner method. The trailer did not like that. It wanted to keep going in a straight line. With the light steering I had it became a dangerous situation. The bike started wobbling! I had no fear of losing it but it was very hard to control. The car behind me sensed my problem and backed off (there are smart motorist out there!). I got it under control and realized that I needed to slow down in corners while towing this trailer. No problems with the twisties in West Virginia at reasonable speeds.

Other than that, the trip was great. The trailer did not sway or anything like that, unless I did!

Can't wait to use it again in April for a trip to Willville Motorcycle Camp in Southern Virginia.

More pics of my trip here: www.cathydavid.com/Rollahome032010.html.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

So what mechanical mods, if any, are you going to make before your next trip?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't pulled a trailer on my 09 Ultra yet. I did on another make. I was told for mountain riding you will want to upgarde to a 103. For trikes you should already be there.

Another issue is tire wear. Your rear tire will develop a flat foot print due to the weight on the tongue. After it has this foot print it will wear even with the trailer off. Just be prepaired for less miles on your rear tire.

Other than that, trailers are awesome for long trips!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
David R
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Boom
So what mechanical mods, if any, are you going to make before your next trip?
No mods... I will make sure my rear shocks are around 20 psi and that the tongue weight does not exceed 50lbs. I will pick up a fish scale from wally world to give me an approximate tongue weight.

It towed really well with the 88. No fish tailing. Once up to speed it's really no big deal. I will just be more cautious with my cornering.

I figured I was going to up go to a 103 or 110 around 70,000 miles or when I finally retire.

Last edited by David R; 03-28-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by David R
No mods... I will make sure my rear shocks are around 20 psi and that the tongue weight does not exceed 50lbs. I will pick up a fish scale from wally world to give me an approximate tongue weight.

It towed really well with the 88. No fish tailing. Once up to speed it's really no big deal. I will just be more cautious with my cornering.

I figured I was going to up go to a 103 or 110 around 70,000 miles or when I finally retire.
Why can't you just put the trailer tongue on a bathroom scale to get the weight? Unless you want to check each time you repack, don't think you need anyother scale. One thing with trailers and sway, the more weight you have aft of the wheels the more sway, so your experience merging into the traffic, maybe you need more tongue weight. One suggestion, weigh the trailer in Lexington Park at the Bekins by the BBQ place and most experts agree that an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 and 15 percent of the gross trailer weight (GTW). Good luck. Leonardtown

Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM
David R
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Why can't you just put the trailer tongue on a bathroom scale to get the weight? Unless you want to check each time you repack, don't think you need anyother scale. One thing with trailers and sway, the more weight you have aft of the wheels the more sway, so your experience merging into the traffic, maybe you need more tongue weight. One suggestion, weigh the trailer in Lexington Park at the Bekins by the BBQ place and most experts agree that an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 and 15 percent of the gross trailer weight (GTW). Good luck. Leonardtown
Actually I did use a bathroom scale when at home. I'm thinking a fish scale would be good in case I add to my load while on the road. It would be lighter to carry unless you can recommend a light weight bathroom scale. Nice picture in your avatar. Where was that taken?
Lexington Park

Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by David R
Actually I did use a bathroom scale when at home. I'm thinking a fish scale would be good in case I add to my load while on the road. It would be lighter to carry unless you can recommend a light weight bathroom scale. Nice picture in your avatar. Where was that taken?
Lexington Park
I thought that might be the case, go somewhere and buy something you want to add to the trailer which means some rearrangements of the stuff and need to re-weigh the trailer tongue. The Tackle Box sells a fish scale that would work, as probably does Wal Mart, K-Mart etc. I have a fish scale and the battery in that thing has lasted about 10 yrs, although I don't catch enough fish to test it very often.

Are you a member of the AAHD Hog chapter? The picture was taken in my garage in Breton Bay.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:14 PM
eglide3wheeler
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a travel trailer a few years ago to take to Sturgis, 3700 mile trip from Pa. I found that more tounge weight on the trailer the better it handled.

Quick Reply: Bought a Roll-A-Home Pop-up Motorcycle Camper Trailer