Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Oil Pan Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Stoood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Baker +1 Oil Pan Observtions & Illustrations

It was a dull Sunday evening in December. Living only 9 miles away from J&P Cycle, I often stop during slow times to get up close and personal with any large part or parts that I am considering purchasing. I'd just snagged a popular Crane cam grind, 4 HD wrist watches, a bodacious air-horn, and had looked over an S&S ignition system, when I asked if there were any Baker +1 Oil Pans in the warehouse. The 2 courteous staffers were as enthused as I was, as we unboxed a black wrinkle finish "BD-5QTB". Nicely packaged and VERY nicley built, we were all impressed as we looked at the oil routing and baffling, all cast in heavy duty, high quality A356-T6 Aluminum. I bought 2 of them for Christmas gifts, and one has been a comversation piece in my dining room for some time. Attached are 5 views. View "C" allows you to see how the oil input & output routing is seperated, while "D" and "E" shows the thorough baffling from front to rear of the pan. There are also several views w/ a ruler to give you some limited concept of dimensions (as well as my cell camera could provide). Weighing a good 10 pounds (estimate from BR scale), this thing is Robust, and the sheer bulk of the pan, baffeling, and ribbing will definately absorb and should dissipate a lot of heat (I wish I could get one into the Lab where, as a 25 year engineering veteran, I did such studies for Boeing, Airbus, and the military). There's even a Heavy-Duty structually located integral boss for mounting an Alloy Art TXR Stabilizer ! An 8 page installation pamphlet is included, user friendly. A 5/8 inch socket, 3/16 Allen socket, Torque wrench, and 3/16" allen wrench are needed for installition (plus Blue lock-tite). Included are a heavy duty Pan gasket, elbow fitting, 3/8" NTP Plug, Hex Zero-Leak Drain Plug, and 12- 1/4"X20X3.5 bolts. Applications listed are for 1993 through 2008 FLH only. Their tech dept. is listed, 877-640-2004. I've attached five .JPG files, the last of which shows my Buddy Clyde's approval for the unit's use on his 2008 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic. Mine is going on my 2008 FLHTCU Moto-Trike conversion, along with an HD Touring Oil Cooler, and a LaNale Engineering engine cooling fan (mounts in place of the stock Horn). Should help out with the bore kit's 10 to 1 compression, cams, trailer hauling, etc. We're ready to tackle installation on Clyde's Ultra, I'll keep you posted as to any difficulties we encounter on the way. Please advise if you need more photos etc., I'll do my best. I hope this helps answer questions for interested FLH owners. Ride Safe, and keep that motor CoooooooL !

Attached Thumbnails Oil Pan Question-baker-plus-1-oil-pan-a.jpg   Oil Pan Question-baker-plus-1-oil-pan-c.jpg   Oil Pan Question-baker-plus-1-oil-pan-d.jpg   Oil Pan Question-baker-plus-1-oil-pan-e.jpg   Oil Pan Question-baker-plus-1-oil-pan-merry-christmas.jpg  

Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Are you bragging or complaining??
Mike, I guess a little of both…no, actually my wife and I love the heat and are freezing now at 66 degrees!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoood
It was a dull Sunday evening in December. Living only 9 miles away from J&P Cycle, I often stop during slow times to get up close and personal with any large part or parts that I am considering purchasing. I'd just snagged a popular Crane cam grind, 4 HD wrist watches, a bodacious air-horn, and had looked over an S&S ignition system, when I asked if there were any Baker +1 Oil Pans in the warehouse. The 2 courteous staffers were as enthused as I was, as we unboxed a black wrinkle finish "BD-5QTB". Nicely packaged and VERY nicley built, we were all impressed as we looked at the oil routing and baffling, all cast in heavy duty, high quality A356-T6 Aluminum. I bought 2 of them for Christmas gifts, and one has been a comversation piece in my dining room for some time. Attached are 5 views. View "C" allows you to see how the oil input & output routing is seperated, while "D" and "E" shows the thorough baffling from front to rear of the pan. There are also several views w/ a ruler to give you some limited concept of dimensions (as well as my cell camera could provide). Weighing a good 10 pounds (estimate from BR scale), this thing is Robust, and the sheer bulk of the pan, baffeling, and ribbing will definately absorb and should dissipate a lot of heat (I wish I could get one into the Lab where, as a 25 year engineering veteran, I did such studies for Boeing, Airbus, and the military). There's even a Heavy-Duty structually located integral boss for mounting an Alloy Art TXR Stabilizer ! An 8 page installation pamphlet is included, user friendly. A 5/8 inch socket, 3/16 Allen socket, Torque wrench, and 3/16" allen wrench are needed for installition (plus Blue lock-tite). Included are a heavy duty Pan gasket, elbow fitting, 3/8" NTP Plug, Hex Zero-Leak Drain Plug, and 12- 1/4"X20X3.5 bolts. Applications listed are for 1993 through 2008 FLH only. Their tech dept. is listed, 877-640-2004. I've attached five .JPG files, the last of which shows my Buddy Clyde's approval for the unit's use on his 2008 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic. Mine is going on my 2008 FLHTCU Moto-Trike conversion, along with an HD Touring Oil Cooler, and a LaNale Engineering engine cooling fan (mounts in place of the stock Horn). Should help out with the bore kit's 10 to 1 compression, cams, trailer hauling, etc. We're ready to tackle installation on Clyde's Ultra, I'll keep you posted as to any difficulties we encounter on the way. Please advise if you need more photos etc., I'll do my best. I hope this helps answer questions for interested FLH owners. Ride Safe, and keep that motor CoooooooL !
Good post! Sounds like you are as impressed with the design of the Baker Pan as I was. Unfortunately, they don’t make one for the 2009!

Maybe the engineers at Baker will read some of these posts and get off the dime and design one?!?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoood
I will be interested to read how the install went and if you get a good reduction in oil temps

Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 PM
MotorDog69
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new sponsor just saying hi

what a great website,

all the passion, and information..

just want to say "what's up" and

ride safe.

john

Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
actually my wife and I love the heat and are freezing now at 66 degrees!
Wow 66 degrees. I'd be riding and wearing a Tee shirt all the while I'd have a big old grin on my face. Dang..... come on summer.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Mike, I guess a little of both…no, actually my wife and I love the heat and are freezing now at 66 degrees!
If it was 66 degrees here I would be in HOG Heaven.