Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Motorcycle Fold Out Camper

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

spent over $4k on motels last year, so bought a camp trailer this fall (Quick Kamp-$750). Will be giving it the maiden voyage 3-16. Wife doesn't mind a tent trailer, she's up off the ground.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,085 Likes on 3,645 Posts

My buddy just bought himself a Bunkhouse for a X-Mas present...it's really nice/....

Old 02-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this on a message board when I was looking for a camp trailer, kind of interesting

David, I'm also planning on getting a camper for my Goldwing. I've been doing alot of research and asking owners of different types of campers at the Rallies I've been attending. I've found out that MOST camper owners are very "PRO" whatever brand model they own.

Timeout owners will tell you that they like theirs because everything if "off the ground."

To that I say .... BIG DEAL!!! Be careful NOT to be in a LOW LYING AREA, when choosing your campsite and that should ELIMINATE any water problems. Also, look at what you have to give-up to keep your feet 6" or so, off the ground!!!
(1)VERY LITTLE "ON THE ROAD STORAGE" to NONE ONCE SET-UP!!!
(2)Five times, or more, the time and labor to "set-up or take-down"!!!
(3)LESS "LIVING SPACE" and SMALLER BED SIZE!!

Sorry, Timeout owners, I just can't see the big ADVANTAGE ...... BUT ......... the DISADVANTAGES ARE OBVIOUS!

The "Aspen Classic" is a great little camper but I REFUSE to buy one! Mainly because the guy who owns the company, "COPIED" the design from the "Bunkhouse". He was a FORMER EMPLOYEE of Bunkhouse, and I don't want to encourage that kind of "theivery", for a lack of better words.

Here is a list of things I think ANYONE should REALLY CONSIDER when shopping for a camper:

(1) How long does "set-up" take? Remember the rainy set-ups?
(2) When setting-up in the rain ........... Does your bedding and "stuff" get EXPOSED to the rain? A SOGGY sleeping bag or mattress is NOT PLEASANT!
(3)Storage capacity AND ACCESSIBILITY. When on the road? ....... Can you EASILY ACCESS your storage area? When set-up? ......... DITTO? Cooler Access from inside? Where do you put all the "STUFF" you need for camping?
(4)How much does the unit WEIGH? BEWARE HERE .... Leisurelite is DECEPTIVE, to say the least, on the weight they SAY their unit weighs, as are many other Manufacturers!!!
(5)A good Suspension system will AFFECT the "LIFESPAN" of the camper. In my opinion, INDEPENDENT TORSION SPRING SUSPENSION IS BEST!
(6) What kind of "OPTIONS" are available to ADD to the basic unit: ROOMS, A/C, Cooler, lights, etc.
(7)QUALITY of workmanship AND materials.
(8)PRICE

MY PERSONAL OPINION? Of EVERY Camper Manufacturer I've seen so far: Timeout, Leisurelite, Qwik Kamp, Travelite, Kombi Kamp, Bunkhouse and a few others I can't remember the names of ........... BUNKHOUSE, BY FAR and HANDS DOWN, is the "BEST DEAL FOR YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLAR." When I BUY .......... IT WILL BE NOTHING SHORT OF A BUNKHOUSE! In my opinion ........ With 25 cubic feet of EASILY ACCESSIBLE STORAGE, A KING SIZE BED, LARGE DREESING/LIVING AREA ....... THE BUNKHOUSE HAS SET THE STANDARD that others are still TRYING to ACHIEVE!!!

Here's a link to the BEST! http://www.bunkhousecampers.com/

Old 02-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

I found another article, I swear I did a google search, I don't go to these threads... I promise :-)

http://www.bmwmoa.org/camping/trailers.htm

Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,085 Likes on 3,645 Posts

My friend that just bought the Bunkhouse said this was the best and he has waited about 20 years to buy one. He did borrow another Goldwinger friends Bunkhouse and tried it on a trip to Michigan and aw others set up their and he was sold. Me, Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn express is roughing it and Motel 6 or Super 8 is Camping...A cabin with a central bathouse is pushing it.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

I had a Bunkhouse for a season and sold it when we went to the toy hauler. Looking back, I wish I had kept it.

If I were to get another one, I wouldn't even look at anything other than Bunkhouse. They are the best, by far.

Jim

Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Bagger Bleu
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BMW article/link is good reading, covers lots of valid points if considering a trailer. The trailer in the article, Kwik Kamp, is no longer (since 99) in production.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the fold in door, Holiday Inn!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
WannaBuy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The camper-trailer at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show was the "Aspen" made by
www.Trailmasterinc.com They are currently having a sale through 2/26

Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
dan1551
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before you do anything check this out and the aspen (trailmaster) is not a copy . read the announcement on their website it explains it all pretty well http://bohica.homeip.net:591/~mark/Campers.html

then go to www.motocampers.com and talk to a bunch of campers or email me at yahoo

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Fold Out Camper