Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Accident

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 AM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Accident

Received this in an e-mail from a fellow rider. I also did a search and found the article in the St. Petersburg Times.

ST. PETERSBURG — A woman died after the motorcycle she was riding on lost a wheel and crashed on Interstate 275 Thursday night, officials said.
The crash was reported at about 7:35 p.m. on southbound I-275 at 28th Street S.
According to troopers, a Tierra Verde couple was in the center lane when their 2009 "Harley Davidson TriGlide " lost one of its wheels.
William Riley, the driver, lost control. He and his wife, Janet Riley, were thrown onto the grassy median. Janet Riley, 63, died at the scene. William Riley, also 63, was taken to Bayfront Medical Center with serious injuries.
The accident was not alcohol-related, officials said. Both people were wearing helmets.
The left lane of the highway was blocked for more than an hour as Florida Highway Patrol troopers investigated.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sad in my prayers and thoughts. I wonder what caused wheel to come off. The read diden't say if front or right or left rear. Wonder if it was a axel that let go. Wish there was more info.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:46 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Wheels

Originally Posted by carlo
Sad in my prayers and thoughts. I wonder what caused wheel to come off. The read diden't say if front or right or left rear. Wonder if it was a axel that let go. Wish there was more info.
Definately of interest to all of us Tri owner's! It will be especially interesting to know if that rear end had been worked on or the rear wheel had been off that Tri before the accident!
The heat problem may not seem so critical now if we have a problem with the differential or wheel assembly.
Thanks for the heads up ON-3, and I also hate to hear about anybody going down! Cringe thinking about it!

Last edited by coupe55; 02-05-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: change word
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ON-3
Received this in an e-mail from a fellow rider. I also did a search and found the article in the St. Petersburg Times.

ST. PETERSBURG — A woman died after the motorcycle she was riding on lost a wheel and crashed on Interstate 275 Thursday night, officials said.
The crash was reported at about 7:35 p.m. on southbound I-275 at 28th Street S.
According to troopers, a Tierra Verde couple was in the center lane when their 2009 "Harley Davidson TriGlide " lost one of its wheels.
William Riley, the driver, lost control. He and his wife, Janet Riley, were thrown onto the grassy median. Janet Riley, 63, died at the scene. William Riley, also 63, was taken to Bayfront Medical Center with serious injuries.
The accident was not alcohol-related, officials said. Both people were wearing helmets.
The left lane of the highway was blocked for more than an hour as Florida Highway Patrol troopers investigated.
I am so saddened to hear of tragedies like this; however, it illustrates the importance of checking the torque on our lugs, especially those of us that have chromed our rear wheels, we should re-torque them after a hundred miles or so!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
I am so saddened to hear of tragedies like this; however, it illustrates the importance of checking the torque on our lugs, especially those of us that have chromed our rear wheels, we should re-torque them after a hundred miles or so!
Very sad indeed. Your right on the money, folks who work on their own should get the proper tools and a service manual. It would be interesting to know which wheel came off and why.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrible, terrible tragedy!
I found the news article online from Tampa newspaper and there were some annoying comments...............
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...rashes/1070855

Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Very sad indeed. Your right on the money, folks who work on their own should get the proper tools and a service manual. It would be interesting to know which wheel came off and why.
I found this, stating that the left rear wheel came off.

Accident

RJ

Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with all, this was very sad. I just hope there is some way we can keep track of this tragedy and find out why/how it happened. There was a failure somewhere for the rear wheel too come off.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:32 PM
triked
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I agree with all, this was very sad. I just hope there is some way we can keep track of this tragedy and find out why/how it happened. There was a failure somewhere for the rear wheel too come off.
Has anyone emailed the writer of the article. she may know which wheel came off.

My system has a flaw and is very troublesome at best

Old 02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

PINELLAS COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- A motorcycle crash on I-275 near 28th Street South seriously injured a man and killed a woman Thursday night.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, at about 7:30 p.m. William Riley, 63, of Tierra Verde, was riding a 2009 Harley Davidson TriGlide, a three-wheel motorcycle. Janet Riley, 63, of Tierra Verde, was a passenger.
FHP said they were traveling southbound on I-275 in the center lane when the left rear wheel of the bike came off, causing the William Riley to lose control.
Both Rileys were ejected into the grass median, where the motorcycle also landed.
Janet Riley died at the scene. William Riley was transported to Bayfront Hospital where he is in serious condition.