Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Extreme Inline Enrichment Device (XIED) Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Triguy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Inline Enrichment Device (XIED) Opinions

Does anyone know if this could be a good solution to heat issues?
Their website is Nightrider.com.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Expert says this product is the most bang for the buck.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default XIED's

Originally Posted by Triguy
Does anyone know if this could be a good solution to heat issues?
Their website is Nightrider.com.
As a part of the series of things I have done to cool the 2010 Tri down, I went with the XIED's to richin up the AFR in the closed loop rpm band. Idle through 4000 RPM.

It has been one winter storm after the other and I have not had time to evaluate or make an opinion as of yet. Everywhere I look especially the Aussy threads, they swear by them.

My main reason I went with the XIED's is that I'm in a rural area and getting a trike tuned is impossible. The dealership MAP's are expensive and to lean anyway for the 2010's. Harley wants you to stay with the SEPST to stay under warranty so my dealer uses this, most good tuners use TTS or the PC5. If I could get an 09 MAP I may have tried the dealer MAP, they tell me the MAP's for the mods are exclusive 2010's with the SEPST. They don't want to add to much fuel to that cat, they keep it lean to keep from stopping it up over time.

I don't have a Cat anymore but want to stay under warranty! The XIED's can be pulled in 5 minutes if I have to take the Tri back in for warranty work. I will of course get rid of the EPA CAM and Tune when out from under warranty!

I have the SE 4" mufflers with the end caps, only! I'm afraid I'll go back lean if I do the Stage I AC.

I had two short runs when I put the XIED's on and did not feel a lot of difference but it is a little louder and I can detect a faint smell of fuel out the exhaust now. I plan to put about 100 miles on it when it warms up and read the plugs.

I got a little low end performance gain when I drilled the cat with the stock mufflers, the SE's kind of put it back where it was. I was hoping for a little better low end grunt and throttle response from the XIED's but really it has not been enough time to give a fair evaluation. The Trike runs out good, no drivability problems, no popping on decel or coughing.

If all I get is the cooling effect I will be satisfied, I may have to go back to stock mufflers to get my little low end torque back and it had a lot better throttle response. Will wait until I read the plugs and get some miles on it and report back.

My main gripe is having to buy the adapter cables for the 2010 on account of the 09's having the 19mm 02 sensors. That adds about another $79 to the cost. The 09 guys have another advantage over us 2010 owner's once again. You not only do not have the Cats but the XIED's are all you need. You do not have to buy the adapter cables!

Still cheaper than having to buy the SEPST dedicated to my Trike and then pay for the downloads. $700 for total package at my dealer and now I believe they are running a $599 winter special for 2010 MAPS that are still to lean IMO.

The 09 guys should have an advantage there also with the canned MAPS, they do richin up the AFR even if you use the SERT or the SEPST.

I will dump my XIED's when out of warranty and either go with the PC5 or find me a good TTS Tuner who can do a Trike!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM
coupe55
Club Member

All you are doing is tricking the ECM, the voltage, resistance has been changed to make the ECM think it need's to add more fuel. Will take you from 14.6 to a 13.8 AFR in the closed loop "the area the 02's sensor's are active".

On the 2010's make sure you use that ground wire! You will definately richin up the AFR but give it a couple tanks of gas or about 100 to 200 miles for the ECM to adjust to them.

I also plan to go to a colder Plug for some more cooling after I evaluate the XIED's. Will know when I hit the right plug when I go down to where it don't soot up!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Coupe, that was a good review.

I would like to add something about the TTS for those still on the fence.

Anyone can use the TTS Mastertune as long as you can use a computer. You need to use a computer with a PCV as well. I don't have anything against the PCV with the exception that is must stay on the bike/trike. It works fine with the auto tune.

The TTS software comes with the module. The software can be updated easily by clicking a button and it comes with maps that are very close to most configurations for free. Unlike the PCV, the TTS doesn't stay on your bike/trike. There is nothing to wire up and leave.

What makes the TTS stand out over the SERT or the SEST is the software. You don't have to be a knowledgeable or trained Dyno guy to use the VTune software. You can simply install a free map that is close for your bike/trike and make a few 15 minute runs up and down the street and record the motor data. You will need a laptop to do this.

Once the data is recorded you open the VTune software, select your data run and your installed map file then click a button. It will make changes to your map automatically by clicking a button. Save that map and install it, using the TTS software, on your bike/trike then go again. The average number of test data runs is five. It will do a very good job and you don't have to pay anyone to Dyno your ride, ever. If you change your motor configuration, no problem. VTune again.

The TTS is also available for less than your dealers "winter special". You can also purchase the TTS for two bikes for about the "winter special" price above. Check with some of the sponsors here to make your purchase. There are several here that sell them.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Tts

Great Review and some good info! I had seen where TTS actually developed the SERT. I don't know why MOCO gets so ****, they know that is a good program.

I am not that computer literate with the new programs, just getting up to speed but I believe I can handle that!

I will have to go that route, rural area here and closest tuner is a 3 hour drive, I don't think they can dyno a trike!

Great info, will probably go that route when out form under warranty! It is wierd some dealers will even recomend TTS or even the PC, there is no one standard it seems among the dealer's just worry about MOCO looking into that ECM if they ever tried to wiggle out of a warranty issue.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Just to add... you can save your stock map with the TTS and save it on your computer. If you are concerned about warranty simply reinstall the stock map.

I understand why HD pushes the SEST and stopped using the SERT. HD didn't want the competition because you could purchase the TTS that does more than the SERT, yes, TTS made the SERT. The SEST is made by a competitor. HD pushes the SEST because they make more profit.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
T K Glider
Road Master

What's the best scenario for heat reduction,power and milage?Could someone rank the choices?XIED's ,slip on's,Fuel Moto headpipe,TTR and air cleaner.What do each of these cost and what is the benefit?

Thanks in advance,
T K

Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Just to add... you can save your stock map with the TTS and save it on your computer. If you are concerned about warranty simply reinstall the stock map.

I understand why HD pushes the SEST and stopped using the SERT. HD didn't want the competition because you could purchase the TTS that does more than the SERT, yes, TTS made the SERT. The SEST is made by a competitor. HD pushes the SEST because they make more profit.
So how fuel system savvy do you have to be to use the TTS Mastertune? I like the idea of setting up/implementing a map (I guess the dealer does the same when they flash your ECM with the Stage I download?) and not have a tag-along component like the PC V that you'd have to remove if you had to take your trike to dealer for warranty work. I've used the PC III USB on my last two bikes so I'm familiar with setting up my laptop with provided s/w.
Also, Fuelmoto offers the TTS with their system packages. I'd be interested to see what total package (and price) they will have for the TG.
Sorry--

Last edited by Boom; 02-02-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Best Scenerio for Heat

Originally Posted by T K Glider
What's the best scenario for heat reduction,power and milage?Could someone rank the choices?XIED's ,slip on's,Fuel Moto headpipe,TTR and air cleaner.What do each of these cost and what is the benefit?

Thanks in advance,
T K
For the 2010 Tri, lose the Cat, the fuel motto pipes look good with some free flowing slipons. Stage I AC, 255 Cams minimum then a good TTS dyno Tune! For the best you need this minimum, the XIED's are just a bandaid until you can find a good tuner.

You may lose a mile or two on the mileage but the extra power and cool you gain will have you grinning from ear to ear!

I would still go with the Jagg 10 Row with Fan and the Lenale Fan for the heads if I spent a lot of time in traffic.

Last edited by coupe55; 02-02-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Add sentence

Quick Reply: Extreme Inline Enrichment Device (XIED) Opinions