Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Extreme Inline Enrichment Device (XIED) Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
What's the best scenario for heat reduction,power and milage?Could someone rank the choices?XIED's ,slip on's,Fuel Moto headpipe,TTR and air cleaner.What do each of these cost and what is the benefit?

Thanks in advance,
T K
TK... there are many variables to your question. The answers would depend on what you are willing to do. The following is just my opinion. How one would approach this would be up to each individual and what is best for them.

1. Cheapest way is to leave it alone.
2. Next would be to remove the cat (if an 2010)
3. Next would be to remap with the fuel manager of your choice. This will help cool the TG down after the cat, if you have one, is removed and add some power.
4. Next would be to change mufflers or baffles and remap again.
5. Add the AC, there will be little to change on your map.
6. Modify the motor and get rid of the smog cams, map again.
7. If you do a lot of stop and go riding or live in a hot climate then look at a larger oil cooler or oil cooling pan (Baker sells a good one)

These are just some options anyone can do to help reduce the heat and add TQ and HP but it is TQ that a trike needs. Many vendors can help you make your decision... Jamie has a number of products that will help you as well as other vendors. Choose the one that gives you the best customer service before and after the sale. Prices vary.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by Boom
So how fuel system savvy do you have to be to use the TTS Mastertune?
The manual is self explanatory. It's not hard to do at all Boom.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

The XIED's work as advertised, they will richen the closed loop area slighly and the results may be noticable. They are a voltage divider which offsets the O2 output signal which allows the ECM to richen the mixture slighly. This is basically the same result as changing the O2 bias table in SERT/TTS/SEST however these tuners use a different strategy as you simply specify the target voltage. The only problem is when you are working with NB O2 sensors you have to work within their limits as the sensors only switch from 14.2-15.0:1 AFR and are most accurate at stoich which is 14.6:1, the sensors will not provide feedback any time you require a AFR richer than this area. For developing your tune TTS has V-Tune and now SEST has Smart Tune which are very handy tuning utilites which will allow users to populate VE tables based on O2 feedback, this works very well for tuning the closed loop areas. These tuners also give you access to a wide range of tables and utilities. There are also other tuners on the market that use wideband sensors which can measure a much broader AFR range, the Bosch WB sensor can measure 11.0-16.0:1. The Dynojet PC-V Auto Tune uses these sensors with a sampling rate of 50 times per second, and with the PC-V you can target the AFR you prefer thru out the entire RPM range and the AT will build your map to this demanded AFR. There are also several very cool tuning stategies you can setup with the PC-V as well.
When choosing a tuning module we recomend choosing the product that you can get the best support on for your application or have a willingness to learn. We work extensively with all of these products and welcome any questions

TTS Mastertune user guide http://www.mastertune.net/files/Tuni...Guide-v122.pdf

Dynojet PC-V user guide/software/tutorials http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...downloads.aspx

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

... and Jamie has an impeccable reputation for service.

There ya go guys.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 02-03-2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

The topics that take place when on the midnight shift. Lots of good information contained here.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuning For Dummies

Thanks Jamie for an indepth explanation of what a proper tune should consist of and offering some alternative's to the XIED's.

As I stated prior the XIED's are only a bandaid and for me, just something to get me by until I can find a competent tuner! I was thinking about the broadband 02 sensors, do they have a broadband substitute out yet for the narrow band 12mm sensor on the 2010's?

A proper tune will work on more variables than just the AFR as I know most on here are probably aware of, there is no substitute for a proper tune IMO.

However do you think I may get a little more fuel out of the XIED's with a wide band 02 sensor? Do they make a little larger injector that will fit the 2010 throttle body! I am not trying to get around a good tune, just handicapped by geography and willing to experiment!

I would like to try a broadband 02 sensor with the XIED's if possible and maybe a little larger gps injecter. Am I wasting my time and money?

Just though I might give it a shot to add a little to our knowledge base and give us some alternatives.

Thanks again for working on the 09/2010 header pipes, I don't know what we would do without our aftermarket guys, Harley engineer's us into a box sometimes. We would not be able to work our way out on our own!

Last edited by coupe55; 02-03-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spell
Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Night Shift

Originally Posted by msocko3
The topics that take place when on the midnight shift. Lots of good information contained here.
Yea! I just come off my long term substitute job and am retired again! I get to get back on during the day now. This forum is worth the admission price! I might even get up to speed on this stuff one of these days.

I hope it warms up soon so we can get some test runs in for all these mods.
I'm interested in finding out how those 255 CAMS work out on the Tri.

It's been a long winter!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
However do you think I may get a little more fuel out of the XIED's with a wide band 02 sensor? Do they make a little larger injector that will fit the 2010 throttle body! I am not trying to get around a good tune, just handicapped by geography and willing to experiment!

I would like to try a broadband 02 sensor with the XIED's if possible and maybe a little larger gps injecter. Am I wasting my time and money?
A wide band O2 sensor wouldn't work with the stock ECM, the stock injectors are plenty large enough. I'm not sure where they are in the duty cycle range but I'm sure they would support much more power than the stock or a reasonably modified engine would require.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
I hope it warms up soon so we can get some test runs in for all these mods.
I'm interested in finding out how those 255 CAMS work out on the Tri.

It's been a long winter!
I hear you, I want to get riding and tuning. I'm interested to see how well these cams work also.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Widebands

Originally Posted by msocko3
A wide band O2 sensor wouldn't work with the stock ECM, the stock injectors are plenty large enough. I'm not sure where they are in the duty cycle range but I'm sure they would support much more power than the stock or a reasonably modified engine would require.
Thanks, just brainstorming again, without the basic knowledge of the Harley EFI system. I believe I will be ok with the XIED's for a while! It is going to be hard to find a tuner for a trike. Will wait on the TTS and give it a try myself when I get from under warranty.

Quick Reply: Extreme Inline Enrichment Device (XIED) Opinions