Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailing New Bike Warranty ?? Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Chev59_99
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing New Bike Warranty ?? Questions

Hi just bought a new 2010 ultra 5 miles on it .(Wow first new bike since 1976.) I ask the dealer if putting a hitch on and towing a trailer would void warranty. He would not give a yes or no. Just said take off hitch when bring in. I'm not up for that hassel. Has anyone run into this problem or know a phone number at factory that I may get the answer? I have a real nice trailer I built that I pull with my 1990 ultra and it is a must when taking the old Lady to THE BOOGIE. 600 mile trip one way. Thanks for any help ahead time . Vic

Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many Harleys are ridden in parades.Many parade riders als fly flags.Many flag holders look remarkably like hitches.I did not see where flag holders were excluded in the HD warranty.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If pulling your trailer caused a part to brake or malfunction, then it will void that part of the warranty. It should not void the entire warranty however. He is right though take it in without the trailer then they would have to prove you were pulling a trailer

Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealers must tell you that it is not covered.I see many hitches on the bikes in for service.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
My dealers must tell you that it is not covered.I see many hitches on the bikes in for service.
Are they in there for warranty work or service??

Old 01-18-2010, 04:17 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Was told by a Salesman that pulling a trailer would void the power train warranty. I guess if they see no ball on the hitch they can't prove your pulling a trailer. Myself I'm not interested in messing with trailers, I call them a tag along PIA.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I traded in my '05 Road Glide, I had a really nice Kuryakyn trailer hitch (that I never used). The salesman told me that they could not resell my RG with that hitch installed and provide a used-bike warranty. They eventually sold the bike to a wholeseller (bastards!). I did ask for the hitch back but never got it!

Lesson learned: Never trade in a bike but if you do, remove all non-Harley parts! Sell them on Craigslist!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have had this discussion several times before and the general consensus seems to be that Harley will void your warranty if you have a trailer hitch and it is due to liability concerns rather than mechanical ware concerns.

By publishing a disclaimer in the owner’s manual and voiding warranties they establish a legal defense in the event of any towing related litigation!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Chev59_99
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.I guess I will have to get that women to travel lighter or leave her home for the next 2 years.She will probably be pissed as I head down the road without her especially since she paid for the bike.Oh well she's been pissed before.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chev59_99
Thanks for the replies.I guess I will have to get that women to travel lighter or leave her home for the next 2 years.She will probably be pissed as I head down the road without her especially since she paid for the bike.Oh well she's been pissed before.
Lots of luck. I would hate to be you when you get home.

Quick Reply: Trailing New Bike Warranty ?? Questions