Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

What I did On My Christmas Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:59 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default What I did On My Christmas Vacation

Decide Christmas vacation was a fine time to get a little work done on the TG. My dad was around to lend a hand so I installed the SE255 cams. I fired it up this afternoon and it sounds pretty decent. Figured I would share some pictures of the event.

The patient waiting to be worked on.

Blue painters tape is your friend.

Amazing the dirt and water spots you can find when you start removing parts.

Awhile back there was inquiries on how to jack the back end of the TG up. This is how we do it without the vice that a table lift has.

A picture with the rocker box tops removed and the cam chest open. The aluminium foil helps keep the frame from becoming a oily mess.

Pulling the old INA inner cam bearings.

Pressing in the new Torrington inner cam bearings.

I like to install studs where the 2 dowels are for the cam plate, don't like taking the chance of pulling threads which others have done. One item of note. The small o-ring that can be seen above the stud and the larger yellow one were showing signs of hardening from heat. The smaller o-rings above and below the stud where both quite hard considering this engine only has 2800 miles on it. I have replaced these o-rings on engines with 20,000 or more miles on them and they where just as pliable as the new o-rings.

The new cams installed in the cam plate and coated with some assembly lube.

Oil pump reinstalled. Some folks might ask if I happened to check the runout on this side of the crank, I didn't bother since the oil pump and cam plate looked good.

Cam plate installed with pins used to align the oil pump. I was surprised the service manual for the 2010 MY changed the procedure for aligning the oil pump. They have you using the oil pump bolts, which is fine, I just don't care for change. The older service manuals had you using EVO lifter block alignment pins in holes 1 & 2. I prefer the older method, I have yet to have one sump using that method.... Knock on wood

I snapped a quick picture of the exhaust valve for the rear head, looks like the bugger has been running hot and lean.

A quick picture of the exhaust mount below the transmission, looks like it has been taking a nice beating from the heat. The nut was quite tough to loosen and remove due to galling.

I'm hoping I can cool this bugger down and pick up some power. I can't wait till spring so I can get out and start tuning the critter.

Last edited by msocko3; 12-12-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Repaired broken picture links
Old 12-26-2009, 02:38 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent post!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very Nice I like the way you guys work. Neat and Clean.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:33 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by carlo
Very Nice I like the way you guys work. Neat and Clean.
Than you. Comes from the years of working on muscle car engines and racing engines. You need to be clean when messing around with $30,000 worth of engine. Be a pretty expensive big bang if you didn't have all your ducks in a row.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 AM
jcghound
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride and thanks for sharing your project with us. I finally broke down and ordered a new portable building just before Christmas to store and work on my scooter in. Just hung the insulation and ran the wiring yesterday. Gonna finish up the inside paneling today. Since the arrival of my first grandchild, "papa" came to the realization of a need for a hide-away....lol

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the posting with all the detail! I thought I would enjoy wrenching on my trike but now I know this cam change would be too much for me to tackle!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 AM
robandlyn
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M3 thanks for taking the time to take pictures !
Even tho I would never be able to do that type of extensive
mechanical work on our bikes. It is great to see how it is done
so when the time comes atleast I know what is involved and
what the Dealer's mechanics are talking about when they do
the work.
Rob .....

Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, thank you for the great pictures and commentary of your project; I found the picture of your 2800 mile exhaust vale to be especially revealing! I wonder if the naysayer’s still maintain that the excessive engine heat is not taking a toll on the life of our engines?

It will be interesting to see if you find the same scorching on your Dad’s 2009 when you do his cam.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:13 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Mike, thank you for the great pictures and commentary of your project; I found the picture of your 2800 mile exhaust vale to be especially revealing! I wonder if the naysayer’s still maintain that the excessive engine heat is not taking a toll on the life of our engines?

It will be interesting to see if you find the same scorching on your Dad’s 2009 when you do his cam.
That will be very interesting to say the least. I basically have 11,000 miles on mine. Once we finish up on Mikes bike we will tackle mine next.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jcghound
Nice ride and thanks for sharing your project with us. I finally broke down and ordered a new portable building just before Christmas to store and work on my scooter in. Just hung the insulation and ran the wiring yesterday. Gonna finish up the inside paneling today. Since the arrival of my first grandchild, "papa" came to the realization of a need for a hide-away....lol
I find its good therapy turning a few wrenches when all mother nature wants to do is snow and blow.

Quick Reply: What I did On My Christmas Vacation