Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

What I did On My Christmas Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Thanks for the posting with all the detail! I thought I would enjoy wrenching on my trike but now I know this cam change would be too much for me to tackle!
All depends on how mechanically inclined you are. I find it funny I used to be chicken to wrench on my bikes yet thought nothing about wrenching on cars worth far more than any one of my bikes. A couple years ago I was looking to do a Head Quarters build on my 06 Ultra when Phillm dropped me a PM. After messaging with Phill I decided I'd buy a few tools and do the build. Since then I've worked on other peoples bikes and have helped my dad fill his power needs. My brother got out of racing so I'm not spending lots of time researching things or working on his dragster. So now I spend my time researching motorcycle related items along with spending time with my dad working on them.

Today was a pretty productive day. We installed the oil temp gauge, Jagg 10 row cooler and put the chrome front end on it. I still have to install the garage door opener and 2nd horn and all the work will be completed on mine.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:42 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by robandlyn
M3 thanks for taking the time to take pictures !
Even tho I would never be able to do that type of extensive
mechanical work on our bikes. It is great to see how it is done
so when the time comes atleast I know what is involved and
what the Dealer's mechanics are talking about when they do
the work.
Rob .....
Knowledge is power, I'm the same as you. I like to know what is involved so I can follow along when I have something done.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Mike, thank you for the great pictures and commentary of your project; I found the picture of your 2800 mile exhaust vale to be especially revealing! I wonder if the naysayer’s still maintain that the excessive engine heat is not taking a toll on the life of our engines?

It will be interesting to see if you find the same scorching on your Dad’s 2009 when you do his cam.
The valve and the bracket sure show the beating they took from the heat. I was surprised at the o-rings I removed from the cam chest also. The one for the scavenge side of the oil pump was kind of stiff vs a new one. The 2 that the cam plate sealed against where really hardened. All the ones I have removed from other bikes in the past with more mileage on them were not that hard. I can only guess it was from the oil getting pretty hot. I didn't know what my oil temps where running because I didn't have the temp gauge installed. That area is also mighty close to the toaster oven exhaust. Will be interesting to see what I find when I take my dads apart. At a glance his exhaust bracket doesn't seem cooked line mine is.