Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Suppose our Engines did blow

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suppose our Engines did blow

after warranty. I was thinking about this. How many miles would you think these engines would last under the circumstances? How many of you have the extended warranty on the TG? I have the 7 year.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Each motor will always perform different and will last shorter or longer then the next one. How you ride, where you ride and how you service are some factors for when you could have some kind of failure. Im at 29k on the clock so far in less then 2 yrs. Have I had problems, yep all have been fixable.

Even the best built motors are only as good as the parts it is put together with and how its used. The variables can drive yah nuts thinking about it...lol

I just remind myself, that is man made and because of that its bound to stop working sometime.

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 12-05-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
after warranty. I was thinking about this. How many miles would you think these engines would last under the circumstances? How many of you have the extended warranty on the TG? I have the 7 year.
I've got the 5-year with only 550 miles on it so far. I live in a temperate climate with moderately hot temps in July, August. But in three years I'll be moving to west central Florida where the summers could be a bit more brutal.
When I mention the heat issue to local service techs I get, "they all run hot". "The motor company has tested this engine design in all conditions."

Last edited by Boom; 12-05-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:22 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
I've got the 5-year with only 550 miles on it so far. I live in a temperate climate with moderately hot temps in July, August. But in three years I'll be moving to west central Florida where the summers could be a bit more brutal.
When I mention the heat issue to local service techs I get, "they all run hot". "The motor company has tested this engine design in all conditions."
That is the typical response that I would expect from them. They are correct they all run hot and each year they run hotter because of the EPA requirements put on the MOCO. Because they all run hot doesn't mean it is a good thing or something that should be tolerated. The hotter that they run means the sooner there will be a failure of some sort.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:46 PM
pork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think we're OK

With all due respect to those who know more than I do about engines, I think we're OK. The second biggest reason we all like HD is that their engineering is pretty good. I know our trikes run hot. but I truly believe they can handle the heat if we can. I can, and my wife can.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Each motor will always perform different and will last shorter or longer then the next one. How you ride, where you ride and how you service are some factors for when you could have some kind of failure. Im at 29k on the clock so far in less then 2 yrs. Have I had problems, yep all have been fixable.

Even the best built motors are only as good as the parts it is put together with and how its used. The variables can drive yah nuts thinking about it...lol

I just remind myself, that is man made and because of that its bound to stop working sometime.
+1, the only thought I had was with the added heat it might cut service life. Instead of a possible 100,000 miles it might be 75,000 miles before some top end work is needed.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:27 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I try not to think about it. Just take it one day at a time. The engine will prob out last me.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 IHP.....I've got the 7-year warranty also.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have never and will never buy an extended warranty! Biggest rip off of all things you can buy JMHO

Old 12-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Strat HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2003Springer
Have never and will never buy an extended warranty! Biggest rip off of all things you can buy JMHO
This is true! Do some research. This is how dealers make their money. Bikes or cars, new or used.

Quick Reply: Suppose our Engines did blow