Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Replacement front tire for trike

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009 | 11:47 AM
Bob810
|
Intermediate
Default Replacement front tire for trike

It's time to replace the front tire on my 07 FLHTC conversion. It's the laced profile model.
Wondering if there is a need to install the two wheel style, since the need for cornering capability is now secondary.
Using the 'stock' replacement tire works OK, but will scuff/skid in some aggressive cornering.
Would like to find a 'flatter' design with a larger patch.
Is this possible.......advisable?
Thanks for any input you can provide.
Bob810

Old 11-23-2009 | 04:40 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm no expert, but with the laced profile rim I would be concerned with any tire that would place more lateral force on the spokes, might lead to a failure. I think of the 2 wheel style front tire as my little voice telling me I might be on the verge of a bad ride if I push it harder.

Old 11-23-2009 | 07:14 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

PM sent

Old 11-24-2009 | 07:50 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by msocko3
I'm no expert, but with the laced profile rim I would be concerned with any tire that would place more lateral force on the spokes, might lead to a failure. I think of the 2 wheel style front tire as my little voice telling me I might be on the verge of a bad ride if I push it harder.
Im having no problems with my little skinny 21 inch venom tire.

zoood/RJ

Old 11-24-2009 | 08:11 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by zoood
Im having no problems with my little skinny 21 inch venom tire.

zoood/RJ
My biggest concern would be the laced rim. I believe that is part of the original question. From looking at a picture of your trike the front rim is not laced.

Old 11-24-2009 | 11:08 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
My biggest concern would be the laced rim. I believe that is part of the original question. From looking at a picture of your trike the front rim is not laced.

I know. I was quoting on this portion > I think of the 2 wheel style front tire as my little voice telling me I might be on the verge of a bad ride if I push it harder. <

Old 11-24-2009 | 11:40 AM
Bob810
|
Intermediate

I really appreciate your perspective. I haven't considered that until now. Excellent. Well, that does that. Dunlop 402 SW, here I come!!
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving
Bob810

Old 11-25-2009 | 08:37 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bob810
I really appreciate your perspective. I haven't considered that until now. Excellent. Well, that does that. Dunlop 402 SW, here I come!!
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving
Bob810
Dunlop has the Elite 3 which is what Im running now. Its a good tire that is suppose to last a little longer

Old 11-25-2009 | 08:58 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

I know in europe, they have been running flat profile automotive tires on the front of hacks for years. It should have the same benifit for trikes. I think the only problem is knowing whether or not the tire you intend to use, will seat properly on the rim you are using. (very important) I have been looking into this for a while, unfortunatly, very little info over here. Probably because hacks have been in use in much greater numbers and for a longer period of time in europe. They are the main mode of transportation for many families there.
The moment you start talking to a tire dealer over here, about putting a car tire on a motorcycle, they want to end the conversation.

Old 11-26-2009 | 06:32 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Dunlop has the Elite 3 which is what Im running now. Its a good tire that is suppose to last a little longer
hey Tom, welcome back!

Quick Reply: Replacement front tire for trike